• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heading away with the good lady wife so wonโ€™t be back on before the final. Sincerest best wishes to the ordinary English fans on here. Hope it happens for you ๐Ÿ’ช

Congrats, friends ...ย  ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ V ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ฐ @ Wembleyย  ...ย ย  Good luck to y'all!ย 

Few excellent posts regarding the final and the tournament as a whole. On the pitch Southgate got basically every decision he made spot on leading upto the final. Even the decision to go to a win

Posted Images

As for people wanting Southgate to fail...

Can't we have different opinions about the formation and tactics?ย 

Not liking the style doesn't mean we want him to fail.ย 

35 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Yeah I think we did, for short spells I thought we committed players forward but for the majority of the time I thought we tried to keep a very tight shape. And in the second half we definitely tried to see the game out at 1-0.ย 

Everyone has been saying that Kane is out of form but he's had very little service.ย 

I'm surprised that anyone who has watched us can think we've been anything other than cautious in our approach.ย 

England played 433 in the opening game with Phillips and Mount pivoting around Rice. Full backs didn't push forward. Sterling grabbed a goal but it's important not to lose the first game.ย That just representsย balance for me.

20 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I don't agree with that at all.ย 

This is from today's BBC article about the game:

image.png.d19cf107677d8d9fabd424649866b508.png

This is no different really vs. many other England managers during my time as a football fan. The context of opposition, the actual game itself, will in my eyes fall behind the actual result of the game. Whether that's fair or not, that's what you're preparing for as the England manager. Win or bust in the eyes of the fans and the press. Maybe not in the eyes of theย FA but then nobody is particularly surprised about that.

And really, when the preparation for the tournament has been about how good England's squad is and how they should be at least reaching the final, especially in the position they're in now, would it really be such a shock to see that come full circle and right back into Southgate's face depending onย how we approached this particularย game?

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

This is from today's BBC article about the game:

image.png.d19cf107677d8d9fabd424649866b508.png

This is no different really vs. many other England managers during my time as a football fan. The context of opposition, the actual game itself, will in my eyes fall behind the actual result of the game. Whether that's fair or not, that's what you're preparing for as the England manager. Win or bust in the eyes of the fans and the press. Maybe not in the eyes of theย FA but then nobody is particularly surprised about that.

And really, when the preparation for the tournament has been about how good England's squad is and how they should be at least reaching the final, especially in the position they're in now, would it really be such a shock to see that come full circle and right back into Southgate's face depending onย how we approached this particularย game?

Its one of the most pressurised jobs in football and sometimes the expectations are totally unrealistic with England, but I don't see any of the comments in that piece as being unfair.ย 

I haven't saw anyone on this site who I think wants Southgate to fail or many people in general who make me think that. His tactics haven't made us exciting to watch this summer, thats all I've heard people say. I don't the fans or press have shown the vitriol they've shown to some previous managers at all.ย 

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I think he's destined to get slaughtered however we play if we lose.

There's a sizeable minority who want him out now, and they'll take any opportunity.

Doesn't matter either way because he's getting a new contract whatever happens.

1 minute ago, Duvel said:

Its one of the most pressurised jobs in football and sometimes the expectations are totally unrealistic with England, but I don't see any of the comments in that piece as being unfair.ย 

I haven't saw anyone on this site who I think wants Southgate to fail or many people in general who make me think that. His tactics haven't made us exciting to watch this summer, thats all I've heard people say. I don't the fans or press have shown the vitriol they've shown to some previous managers at all.ย 

You've not seen social media then.

It's constant calling for him to be sacked.

It briefly calmed down when we beat Croatia, only to come back tenfold when we drew with Scotland.

Just now, Changing Times said:

Doesn't matter either way because he's getting a new contract whatever happens.

I know, but it won't change how unpleasant the mood will be and it'll only carry on in to the World Cup.

It doesn't take much to turn England fans.

6 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I know, but it won't change how unpleasant the mood will be and it'll only carry on in to the World Cup.

It doesn't take much to turn England fans.

Perhaps but if we were to be knocked out tonight then that's hardly a ringing endorsement of the fella.ย  I mean really we should be the favourites today, not heavy but still favourites.ย  We need to play better than we did in the group stages but then Germany also need to do the same.ย  And England, with Southgate, need to beat a decent side in a knock out game as well.ย ย 

1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

Perhaps but if we were to be knocked out tonight then that's hardly a ringing endorsement of the fella.ย  I mean really we should be the favourites today, not heavy but still favourites.ย  We need to play better than we did in the group stages but then Germany also need to do the same.ย  And England, with Southgate, need to beat a decent side in a knock out game as well.ย ย 

I agree, it's unavoidable that there's still an idea that we only did well because of an easy route, so beating Germany would go some way to amending that.

Saying that, even if we reach the final and fall short Iย think that same criticism will raise it's head.

"We only played an out of sorts Germany and 3-4ย smaller nations before losing against the first quality side".

That's assuming we were able to overcome Sweden/Ukraine and Denmark/Czechia too.

8 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I agree, it's unavoidable that there's still an idea that we only did well because of an easy route, so beating Germany would go some way to amending that.

Saying that, even if we reach the final and fall short Iย think that same criticism will raise it's head.

"We only played an out of sorts Germany and 3-4ย smaller nations before losing against the first quality side".

That's assuming we were able to overcome Sweden/Ukraine and Denmark/Czechia too.

I think if we beat Germany and make the final then most people would be pretty happy with that.ย  Both of those things would be quite big for England fans.ย  Unless we got battered in the final then I'd like to think people would view the tournament positively.ย  It is harder maybe for Southgate because he walked into the job on the back of nothing really so he doesn't have the successful club managerial career to fall back on.

So certainly looks like the line-up hinted at earlier.

Pickford
Walker Stones Maguire
Trippier Phillips Rice Shaw
Saka Kane Sterling

I'm really glad it's Saka and not Foden in that position, to be honest.

• Uwe changed the title to EURO FINAL ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ V ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น