Jump to content
oneBoro Forum

EURO FINAL 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 V 🇮🇹


Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I can't understand it, it's bizarre.

I understand wanting England to lose but not the spunking money on other countries shirts.

I don't imagine any Middlesbrough fans bought a Charlton top or a Lincoln top in the play-offs when they played Sunderland.

To be fair, the Italy shirt is nice. Just because they're almost certainly wearing it today because it's England doesn't mean that they'll never wear it again. I've got a few different shirts from different clubs and countries over the years. Even following England, I wouldn't say no to that Italy shirt because we're playing them in a final, it's a really nice shirt.

I doubt Charlton and Lincoln tops are that nice. 😄

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heading away with the good lady wife so won’t be back on before the final. Sincerest best wishes to the ordinary English fans on here. Hope it happens for you 💪

Every England fan last night  (Caution industrial language)    IMG_1425.MP4

Few excellent posts regarding the final and the tournament as a whole. On the pitch Southgate got basically every decision he made spot on leading upto the final. Even the decision to go to a win

Posted Images

3 hours ago, RiseAgainst said:

A quick word on the Scots, having lived here since 1987: it's impossible to tell where banter ends and Anglophobia starts. Some people just absolutely hate the English and everything south of the Border with an unalloyed passion. I remember a woman saying Vauxhall using the Union flag on their billboard ads made her physically sick. It runs that deep.

And for any English people feeling bad about hearing fans booing foreign anthems at Wembley, that's nothing compared to Scots booing God Save The Queen - technically their own anthem - at Hampden. It's absolutely ear-splitting. Not just a boorish minority, but every man, woman and child (sadly) in the stadium. Every single time.

Onto the match - is anyone actually looking forward to it? I am dreading it! A win would be great, but I suspect it'll be either 90 or 120 minutes of anguish and nail-chewing. Like the Brighton game but without the safety net of the play-offs if it all went wrong... 

It's genuinely stuff like this that makes me wonder, perhaps naively, why anyone in England wants Scotland to remain part of the UK. I know a lot of this talk has come up through the football recently so maybe this is wrong but it seems to me that they don't like us and we don't seem to like them either.

Give them IndyRef 2 and given what's happened since the first one and how it has affected opinion in Scotland since, it just seems to be for the benefit of everyone involved. Let us be England, let them be Scotland and let us both do our own things. It feels like independence from one another could at least let Scotland feel like they're in control of their own future and not bogged down by whatever the English want to do, it could even begin that slow healing process.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

I'm half looking forward to it and half dreading it.

On the positive side, its the first final England have been to since 1966. Southgate and the lads have generally had a brilliant tournament so far and done everything required of them (except beat the Scots 😉 ). Looking at it in a glass half full way, England are winners no matter what, just for making it this far.

 

On the flip side I really can't stand Italy...for reasons that have previously been discussed on here. I was so hoping we'd end up facing Spain, or even Belgium again. Anyone but the Italians. Losing to them would just be horrendous. My dread mostly stems from knowing how they are likely to act if the game is tight, with the clock running down...especially if they are ahead.

Also, England CANNOT allow this game to go to penalties if they are to win it.

 

EDIT: 

Also, given that Scotland will be rooting for Italy, can you imagine the *** we'll get from north of the border, should we lose... ☹️

 

 

Penalties against Italy against the massive Donnarumma one of the best keepers in the world, that's a no go for me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rioch's Braves said:

Penalties against Italy against the massive Donnarumma one of the best keepers in the world, that's a no go for me.

I can only imagine what the scenes are gonna be like up here in Mackem-land if Pickford is the saviour though.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Italians like to play out from the back Donnorumma very rare kicks long, with our pace up front we've got to be pushing onto Bonnucci, Chiellini, and Di Lorenzo, we must put them under pressure and not allow them to get in a comfort zone.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

It's genuinely stuff like this that makes me wonder, perhaps naively, why anyone in England wants Scotland to remain part of the UK. I know a lot of this talk has come up through the football recently so maybe this is wrong but it seems to me that they don't like us and we don't seem to like them either.

Give them IndyRef 2 and given what's happened since the first one and how it has affected opinion in Scotland since, it just seems to be for the benefit of everyone involved. Let us be England, let them be Scotland and let us both do our own things. It feels like independence from one another could at least let Scotland feel like they're in control of their own future and not bogged down by whatever the English want to do, it could even begin that slow healing process.

I’ve always said that if Scotland really wanted independence the vote should’ve been held in England and not Scotland

 That way they would’ve had 65 million people telling them to *** off 😂😂😂

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I can only imagine what the scenes are gonna be like up here in Mackem-land if Pickford is the saviour though.

I would love that to come true, I'll be happier with Pickford the saviour in 90 minutes and a win stuff the penalties. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rioch's Braves said:

I would love that to come true, I'll be happier with Pickford the saviour in 90 minutes and a win stuff the penalties. 

I certainly hope he's back on top form tonight. He's made some absolutely vital saves already in this tournament but the last game and a half, he has absolutely got an Everton slip-up in him. He's such a huge presence when he's on his game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I certainly hope he's back on top form tonight. He's made some absolutely vital saves already in this tournament but the last game and a half, he has absolutely got an Everton slip-up in him. He's such a huge presence when he's on his game.

Looks like nerves are getting to him. That early throw error vs Denmark seemed to rattle him pretty heavily.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This was the scene all over northern Ireland this weekend, as it is every year on this date. In case anyone is unsure of why people here might not be so fond of the British/English influence in our country and why that might spill into a desire for England not to win!

Anyway, last I'll say on the matter, good luck to the english team this evening, hoping for a good game. 

Screenshot_20210711-145554.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

This was the scene all over northern Ireland this weekend, as it is every year on this date. In case anyone is unsure of why people here might not be so fond of the British/English influence in our country and why that might spill into a desire for England not to win!

Anyway, last I'll say on the matter, good luck to the english team this evening, hoping for a good game. 

Screenshot_20210711-145554.png

I don't know what sort of response you expect to that really. 

The average British citizen had no influence on the occupation of Ireland and most of us want to live pretty peaceful lives. 

I've got friends in Belfast so I've spent a fair bit of time there and I know that I should feel no more guilty about what's happened there than you should. 

Its a game of football for gods sake, if you hate us that much maybe take the night off. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I don't know what sort of response you expect to that really. 

The average British citizen had no influence on the occupation of Ireland and most of us want to live pretty peaceful lives. 

I've got friends in Belfast so I've spent a fair bit of time there and I know that I should feel no more guilty about what's happened there than you should. 

Its a game of football for gods sake, if you hate us that much maybe take the night off. 

I have lots of English friends, including on here. I don't hate English people. Nor am I telling anyone they should feel guilty, like you said it's nothing to do with you as individuals. 

I'm just highlighting one of the reasons why it's not entirely surprising that other nations in the UK find it hard to get behind England as it was being discussed in this thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I don't know what sort of response you expect to that really. 

The average British citizen had no influence on the occupation of Ireland and most of us want to live pretty peaceful lives. 

I've got friends in Belfast so I've spent a fair bit of time there and I know that I should feel no more guilty about what's happened there than you should. 

Its a game of football for gods sake, if you hate us that much maybe take the night off. 

I think all that's been said here is about being supportive or being against nations and that becomes part of sport too. It's not saying me or you are *** but saying there is historical reference to a generalised distaste/hatred.

It does feel like a lot of the chatter around this has just been ultra-defensive of why others should even view England in such a negative way when we have no right to tell others what their experiences are of growing up in their nation and their respective experiences of us. We aren't in their shoes and maybe if we were, we'd feel similar.

In a similar way way nobody can take away @Uwe or @RiseAgainst's experiences of Scotland, or @BearSmog's experiences of Wales and how that may or may not effect their position on those respective nations.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Latest Posts

    • The administrators must be worried about HMRC. They supposedly owe them £26m.
    • I presume the continued legal action is to ensure that 9-12 point deduction that they are due for breaching P&S is actually carried out. It's all gone quiet since they went in to administration.
    • Well they're currently on -2 points. Another 9 point deduction would make that -11, which is currently 18 points from safety. That would be a serious amount of ground to make up and would require 3 teams above them to have pretty horrendous seasons, in order to overhaul them. I'd rather see Mel Morris get taken for every penny he's got, or otherwise punished to the full extent of the law. Instead he's wringing his hands and saying he's "sorry" while the club that was under his stewardship could end up going to the wall, if the administrators can't find a suitable buyer.  
    • Does Gibson seriously holding a grudge for them outbidding us on Waghorn 😂
    • They haven't actually been punished for cheating yet, which is the whole point of principle for Gibson. They've had a self-inflicted 12 point deduction for administration. They're currently only 9 points from safety, that is far from insurmountable with most of the season left, and the pressure needs to be kept up to ensure they get the punishment they're due.

×
×
  • Create New...