oneBoro Forum

BORO Friendlies

For those who watched/were at the game - what style of football did we play? Was it just what we seen last season but more effective because of the big man? Or were there signs we might go a little more progressive and varied this season? 

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quick photo of the Gaffer with my boy 👍

Coulson doing his best to avoid being sent to Ipswich.

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

For those who watched/were at the game - what style of football did we play? Was it just what we seen last season but more effective because of the big man? Or were there signs we might go a little more progressive and varied this season? 

The opponent were ofc not that good, but it looked, for me at least, like we played with more intent through out the game ... Imho was Howson not missed ... It was a delight to see players TRY something .. Even Wing did ok .. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Well considering we had a big lad up front to hit, it was nice to see us try and pass it around a little at times, I can't actually remember many times the ball got played high into Ikpeazu. It felt like he ended up with the ball at his feet more often than not and none of their defenders could even get close to him. But he was still a focal point and an important one for our attack when we tried to build something up.

Him being able to hold the ball up properly allowed Bahamboula to work off him when he was further up the pitch. One of the offside goals from Watmore came down to some really quick and incisive play from us in that manner, ball into feet from McNair, laid off to Bahamboula, played out wide to... Dijksteel? who got in behind and squared to Watmore for the 'goal'. It was a really lovely move from us.

It was in many ways a proper preseason game though. It wasn't overly intense and so the 'game plan' as such wasn't incredibly clear for large portions of the game. A lot of the good play was quite individual rather than collective, see the first two goals which ultimately had no real 'assist'. Bishop Auckland were also quite poor in comparison, they worked hard but I don't think they had a single chance in the game that I can remember.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, boro-unger said:

Just thinking, will that have been the biggest boro crowd NW has managed in front of in his time as Boro manager?!

Weren't we at home on one of the trial openings last season? I want to say it was against Bournemouth. 1000 fans wasn't it?

1 hour ago, boro-unger said:

Just thinking, will that have been the biggest boro crowd NW has managed in front of in his time as Boro manager?!

It's the only crowd he's managed in front of whilst Boro manager.

He had Covid during the Bournemouth match.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Weren't we at home on one of the trial openings last season? I want to say it was against Bournemouth. 1000 fans wasn't it?

He was off sick with covid for that game so hes never actually seen a boro crowd in person

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Brunners said:

He was off sick with covid for that game so hes never actually seen a boro crowd in person

I know attendances have dropped in recent years, but are we down to one supporter these days? It'll be tough getting an atmosphere going (or a Mexican wave).

"I'm the South stand... I'm the South stand..."

[Even less noise than the North Stand used to make in response]

9 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

It's the only crowd he's managed in front of whilst Boro manager.

He had Covid during the Bournemouth match.

Mad that isn't it?! He's been manager for what feels like ages and only just got to play in front of any fans

35 minutes ago, boro-unger said:

Mad that isn't it?! He's been manager for what feels like ages and only just got to play in front of any fans

It's been a very long year for everyone.

Normality feels like a lifetime ago.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

No line up released on twitter yet despite being less than a hour before the game 

Was released a bit later on the last friendly too. Might be half past