oneBoro Forum

England v India test series

@atypical_boroUnfortunately I can't see passed and Indian series win. They've been over here all summer (with the World Test Final) and have had plenty of time to acclimatise. That coupled with our mediocre batting line-up and a few injuries/withdrawals to key players isn't a great mix. 

That said we've been trying to build a settled side for a little while now and it does feel like a very long transition period we are going through. We've got a decent clutch of young players breaking through, so hopefully given time they'll come good (Sibley, Crawley and Pope in particular).

• Like 1
15 hours ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

@atypical_boroUnfortunately I can't see passed and Indian series win. They've been over here all summer (with the World Test Final) and have had plenty of time to acclimatise. That coupled with our mediocre batting line-up and a few injuries/withdrawals to key players isn't a great mix. 

That said we've been trying to build a settled side for a little while now and it does feel like a very long transition period we are going through. We've got a decent clutch of young players breaking through, so hopefully given time they'll come good (Sibley, Crawley and Pope in particular).

15 hours ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Does feel that way, hope it turns out a bit more exciting tho! Going to Australia on the back of a 5-0 home whitewash isn't going to feel very exciting.....

8 hours ago, atypical_boro said:

Does feel that way, hope it turns out a bit more exciting tho! Going to Australia on the back of a 5-0 home whitewash isn't going to feel very exciting.....

Luckily our not so mediocre bowling attack (Carried by Anderson) have given us a slight glimmer of hope. Was looking ominous at 97-0, but a good spell has dragged us back into the game.

Need to continue that vein of form tomorrow morning (weather permitting). To get Kohli for a duck is big...but we did drop Rahul, hopefully we don't regret that one.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Luckily our not so mediocre bowling attack (Carried by Anderson) have given us a slight glimmer of hope. Was looking ominous at 97-0, but a good spell has dragged us back into the game.

Need to continue that vein of form tomorrow morning (weather permitting). To get Kohli for a duck is big...but we did drop Rahul, hopefully we don't regret that one.

Yes nice to see a bit of a fightback. Can't help but feel that even if our bowlers can level things up the top order would let us down again though.

On 8/6/2021 at 12:06 AM, atypical_boro said:

Yes nice to see a bit of a fightback. Can't help but feel that even if our bowlers can level things up the top order would let us down again though.

Luckily a "steady" performance from the top order backed up by a brilliant century from Root has dragged us back into the game. Only 180 ahead, but if (big if), we can add another 30-50 runs, then bowling at India in the evening light might give us a chance.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Got lucky with the weather in the first test. Think we were staring down the barrel of a defeat.

2nd test has been a lot more even. 1st Indian innings looked very ominous for us, especially considering at one stage they were 267-2. But we managed to get the last 7 wickets for less than 100 runs. Then a quite brilliant display of batting from Root levelled the playing field, with cameo's from Burns and Bairstow. Then Root made 2 brilliant calls as captain for the Indian 2nd innings, firstly giving Wood the new ball early and then the set up to dismiss Rohit.

All to play for on day 5. 

3 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Got lucky with the weather in the first test. Think we were staring down the barrel of a defeat.

2nd test has been a lot more even. 1st Indian innings looked very ominous for us, especially considering at one stage they were 267-2. But we managed to get the last 7 wickets for less than 100 runs. Then a quite brilliant display of batting from Root levelled the playing field, with cameo's from Burns and Bairstow. Then Root made 2 brilliant calls as captain for the Indian 2nd innings, firstly giving Wood the new ball early and then the set up to dismiss Rohit.

All to play for on day 5. 

I think we’d be in real trouble if ashwin was playing. Moeen was really starting to make it turn yesterday at times. Need to get pant out early this morning, india have a long tail and they should really struggle against the new ball. IF we don’t get pant out quickly he could easily score 50 which would take the game away from us. Then we have to hope the batsman do the job aka hope root gets another century

4 hours ago, BoroJake said:

I think we’d be in real trouble if ashwin was playing. Moeen was really starting to make it turn yesterday at times. Need to get pant out early this morning, india have a long tail and they should really struggle against the new ball. IF we don’t get pant out quickly he could easily score 50 which would take the game away from us. Then we have to hope the batsman do the job aka hope root gets another century

Did so well to get Pant early, then completely let India off the hook.

Now it looks like our top order are crumbling again. 1 for 2 as it stands, both openers gone.

Just now, DanFromDownSouth said:

Did so well to get Pant early, then completely let India off the hook.

Now it looks like our top order are crumbling again. 1 for 2 as it stands, both openers gone.

Definitely. Completely lost our heads against bumrah. Burns should be doing better. Sibley I have a bit of sympathy for. It was a great ball for him.

1 hour ago, BoroJake said:

Definitely. Completely lost our heads against bumrah. Burns should be doing better. Sibley I have a bit of sympathy for. It was a great ball for him.

Think Sibley has been found out a little bit at test level in terms of his weaknesses.
He's pretty tall, so has a tendency to get stood up. Hopefully as he gets more experience at test level (if he is afforded anymore time) he works on that side of his game.

7 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Think Sibley has been found out a little bit at test level in terms of his weaknesses.
He's pretty tall, so has a tendency to get stood up. Hopefully as he gets more experience at test level (if he is afforded anymore time) he works on that side of his game.

Problem is I don’t really think we have any other openers. England in real trouble now. Need root to get them out of it as usual. Also need buttler to have one of his good days

20 hours ago, BoroJake said:

Problem is I don’t really think we have any other openers. England in real trouble now. Need root to get them out of it as usual. Also need buttler to have one of his good days

What a shocking display of top order batting.

Few changes going into tomorrow's test.

Malan recalled after 3 years out. Hameed looks like he might open, but I have my doubts about him (he'll score a century now). Personally I'd be giving as much time to Pope as possible (at 6, at the moment), he really reminds me of Bell a little bit (Stylewise).

Wood is out injured and I actually think we've really missed Woakes in our bowling attack this summer.