oneBoro Forum

Warnock........is he worth it?

No one is hounding Warnock out either, you've got about half a dozen posters on here who would get rid of him now. I think the majority expect him to be here until the end of the season where we're likely to go in a different direction. 

There's certainly no one hounding him out in the ground which is where it would matter most. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been told he’s off

Easy enough to write patronising rubbish when you don’t actually support  the club? We are only Middlesbrough after all? Narrative seems to be ‘stop moaning, be grateful for what you have, with a bit

Revisionism and nonsense. 49 goals in a full season under Pulis, 68 and 63 in our seasons under Karanka. We might have been shot shy and moved the ball a bit ponderously under Karanka but we played ha

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Duvel said:

No one is hounding Warnock out either, you've got about half a dozen posters on here who would get rid of him now. I think the majority expect him to be here until the end of the season where we're likely to go in a different direction. 

There's certainly no one hounding him out in the ground which is where it would matter most. 

It might be a vocal minority, but I have been surprised at how anti-Warnock/reactionary this board has been this season. Admittedly I'm new, but wasn't expecting fmttm levels of doom and gloom!😀

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, atypical_boro said:

It might be a vocal minority, but I have been surprised at how anti-Warnock/reactionary this board has been this season. Admittedly I'm new, but wasn't expecting fmttm levels of doom and gloom!😀

Interesting; if you ask FMTTM, we're the negative ones and they're all incredibly positive about Boro all the time.

As far as Warnock goes, I think people are still just tired from all the dross we've been served since relegation.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Interesting; if you ask FMTTM, we're the negative ones and they're all incredibly positive about Boro all the time.

As far as Warnock goes, I think people are still just tired from all the dross we've been served since relegation.

I can barely think of a time where a significant cohort of our fans haven't complained about being served 'dross', and I've been watching closely for over 30 years. Maybe 2-3 of seasons under Robson? One of which we were relegated of course.😆

The plan is plain and simple: try to fluke promotion on limited funds this season with an experienced manager whose in situ, then if we fail (most likely outcome, there are about 16 other clubs in our position) let the new Head of Football work his magic in the spring. Appointing someone now before Scott has even got his foot in the door would be begging for trouble.

3 minutes ago, atypical_boro said:

I can barely think of a time where a significant cohort of our fans haven't complained about being served 'dross', and I've been watching closely for over 30 years. Maybe 2-3 of seasons under Robson? One of which we were relegated of course.😆

The plan is plain and simple: try to fluke promotion on limited funds this season with an experienced manager, then if we fail (most likely outcome, there are about 16 other clubs in our position) let the new Head of Football work his magic in the spring. Appointing someone now before Scott has even got his foot in the door would be begging for trouble.

Oh I completely agree with you mate; I'm all aboard the "keep Warnock on for this season while Scott finds his feet" train.

However I get some feeling from some of his quotes that he's having a bit of a grump about some of the signings not being his (his Van Bergen comment is the most obvious) and that concerns me a little. 

• Like 2

To be honest all I am waiting for is when the window shuts and then just see who is available and then hopefully play to the players strengths.

Clearly weeknesses have been identified and maybe we can go on from there with more confidence.

As long as we see improvement certainly with the QPR and Derby games fresh in our minds then NW until his position changes will get my support along with many other I should imagine.

Life is short and a pity that some people want to speed things up😉

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Oh I completely agree with you mate; I'm all aboard the keep Warnock on for this season while Scott finds his feet.

However I get some feeling from some of his quotes that he's having a bit of a grump about some of the signings not being his (his Van Bergen comment is the most obvious) and that concerns me a little. 

He probably is, and I've no doubt that, if we fail to make a dent in the top 6, he'll want to protect his 'reputation' and let the fans know the signings weren't all his and he was working under a new guy etc as part of the long-term planning. But that's just who he is, wears his heart on his sleeve, I don't see a major problem with it and appreciate he isn't everyone's cup of tea.

But he isn't gonna be here for very long at all but in the short term he is probably as well placed as anyone to try and sneak a cheeky play-off promotion, changing tack now would be madness. We have to let Scott in and give him chance to take his time on that.

• Like 1

For me it comes down to whether a new manager is lined up or not. If there is, but he's currently contracted elsewhere, then yeah whatever - no point getting rid of Warnock just to have a caretaker for one season. We won't be near the bottom three.

However if there is a new man lined up and he is in a position to join us right now, that changes things. Why not just accelerate the plan and give him the 'free hit' this season instead of Warnock? 

If no new manager has been lined up full stop, then there's also not much point getting rid as it's unlikely we'd find a short-term improvement. It's just sucking up what will likely be a frustrating season and trusting Gibson/Scott to line the right man up for the Summer.

7 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

For me it comes down to whether a new manager is lined up or not. If there is, but he's currently contracted elsewhere, then yeah whatever - no point getting rid of Warnock just to have a caretaker for one season. We won't be near the bottom three.

However if there is a new man lined up and he is in a position to join us right now, that changes things. Why not just accelerate the plan and give him the 'free hit' this season instead of Warnock? 

If no new manager has been lined up full stop, then there's also not much point getting rid as it's unlikely we'd find a short-term improvement. It's just sucking up what will likely be a frustrating season and trusting Gibson/Scott to line the right man up for the Summer.

Eddie Howe is available!

7 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

I would be amazed if Gibson has lined up a new manager to 'give' to Scott. Surely the point of Scott is for him to come in and make the footballing decisions? So given that he hasn't even started in the job, highly unlikely Scott has lined anyone up, or Gibson. He needs 6 months to have a look at the place and do what he is (apparently) good at.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, atypical_boro said:

I would be amazed if Gibson has lined up a new manager to 'give' to Scott. Surely the point of Scott is for him to come in and make the footballing decisions? So given that he hasn't even started in the job, highly unlikely Scott has lined anyone up, or Gibson. He needs 6 months to have a look at the place and do what he is (apparently) good at.

I can actually imagine a situation where we appoint a new scout who can identify lots of great players and then Gibson picks the manager himself and gives the job to Johnny Howson. 🙈

• Haha 2

It's very clear that next Summer will likely see Warnock retire and a new Manager coming in most likely in line with the new philosophy being installed under the guidance of Scott. That is great and heartening news. My gripe however is that if Warnock is going to send out confused mixed up teams and tactics in the meantime like he did at Derby then what is the point of him being here now?

His 2021 record isn't great, his defence and midfield at the moment is a mess with no coherent link between them. The back line is the same as the back line last season and should be reasonably functional at this level at the very worst, personally I think they are a lot better than we are witnessing. Why is that? My conclusion is this man marking is disrupting both defence and midfield but I could be wrong and its far more complex than that but I don't think Football is all that difficult to grasp.

QPR was a nightmare but surely a fired up response at Derby was a reasonable expectation, instead it was flatter than a snakes belly. I know there are some praising the clean sheet because it was our first in 14 games but seriously if that's a reason to celebrate for me its a measure by how far we have fallen. It's not even because we are playing open, swashbuckling football.

Judging from his comments it appears that he is less than impressed by some of our transfer activity which seems to be a dual strategy of giving him a few Players of his wanting mixed with Players for a new Boro when he goes. He should understand and appreciate that and be on board with it but I guess he also wants to finish on a high which is not unreasonable. Meanwhile we look to be stuck watching more poor performances while a split develops in the Club turning into  fracture. If that is the case it can't continue through the entirety of the season as the Club will be a basket-case come May with factions developing in the squad which we have witnessed previously. 

Someone in the Club needs to take overall control and be very clear about what is happening, when, where and how because it looks to me like we are only a few weeks away from toys being thrown out of prams and/or Players who were signed in good faith becoming fed up and wanting away. Then there are the fans who are supposed to just put up with performances like we witnessed at Derby.

Him going now would leave a vacuum until the Summer. It makes far more sense to just suck it up and leave it as it is but much more of the same will leave fans frustrated and Players disillusioned. He may of course turn things around with the new incoming signings but if it continues as it has throughout 2021 and we flatter to deceive and keep shipping goals while struggling to score then doing nothing isn't an option. I would hope that a contingency plan is in place either short term or as a potential but premature long term. 

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I can actually imagine a situation where we appoint a new scout who can identify lots of great players and then Gibson picks the manager himself and gives the job to Johnny Howson. 🙈

Nooooo GIF by memecandyFried Rice Reaction GIF by Nigel Ng (Uncle Roger)

Are you trying to give me nightmares? 😭

• Haha 1

@Redcar Rioja That seems to be a pretty good summary of where the club is at present.

But I think it makes very little sense to get rid of Warnock now...unless possibly Percovich is up for being caretaker for a few months. But I get the impression he gets on well with Neil, so wouldn't be too impressed with his sacking.

The transition IMO needs to be done over the close season, so that the new boss has time to take stock of the situation. Also as I think atypical boro mentioned, Scott needs to have some input regarding the new manager, as they will be the keystone of the new philosophy the club will be adopting (along with the DoF).

So I think we're stuck with a "fractured, basket case of a club" for the remainder of the season. Warnock will do a good enough job that this won't turn into another Woodgate season...and really thats enough until Scott and the new manager come in.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

But I think it makes very little sense to get rid of Warnock now...unless possibly Percovich is up for being caretaker for a few months

😂😂😂

• Downsouth changed the title to Warnock........is he worth it?