oneBoro Forum

Warnock........is he worth it?

It is what it is. That's the problem it's been like that for far to long. Warnock seems unable to change the way we play, the tactics we use. I only hope as the season progresses we select a replacement manager early.

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been told he’s off

Easy enough to write patronising rubbish when you don’t actually support  the club? We are only Middlesbrough after all? Narrative seems to be ‘stop moaning, be grateful for what you have, with a bit

Revisionism and nonsense. 49 goals in a full season under Pulis, 68 and 63 in our seasons under Karanka. We might have been shot shy and moved the ball a bit ponderously under Karanka but we played ha

Posted Images

10 hours ago, White Band said:

Yes for this season because he will keep us steady in the Championship. I fully expect some clubs to fail as the financial impacts of the pandemic bite.  Once things have settled down will be the time to push on under a new manager.  I don't think anyone we could realistically attract at the moment would do better under the budget constraints. My priority at the moment is for the club to survive.

Great post. If Scott can’t influence signings until next summer (January is always a chaotic time), we need a safe pair of hands to guide us through his first year while he finds his feet. We don’t want some new manager, and let’s face it the fans will want some kind of fancy foreigner, trying to fudge his way through a season while the DoF settles in.

Warnock is perfect this season. A chance for him to work a miracle with his wheeling and dealing before retirement, then if it doesn’t work (likey outcome), genuine optimism for next season and a new buzz when we have a new manager.

• Like 2

Can't wait for him to be gone in all honesty. I give him credit for keeping us in the division (cheers Woody) but the top of the game moved on from people like Warnock and Pulis about ten years ago at least.

My fingers are firmly crossed that the new sporting director signals Middlesbrough FC finally arriving into modern football. I can stomach this season as long as someone young, data-driven, progressive, and qualified is being lined up to replace him. 

• Like 6
10 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Can't wait for him to be gone in all honesty. I give him credit for keeping us in the division (cheers Woody) but the top of the game moved on from people like Warnock and Pulis about ten years ago at least.

My fingers are firmly crossed that the new sporting director signals Middlesbrough FC finally arriving into modern football. I can stomach this season as long as someone young, data-driven, progressive, and qualified is being lined up to replace him. 

Who could that be? You've basically described Woodgate.

Why does a new manager have to be 'young' though? Why can't they be 55? If they're brilliant and stick around for 10 years (highly unlikely) they'll only be 65 at the end of it, hardly too old.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, atypical_boro said:

Why does a new manager have to be 'young' though? Why can't they be 55? If they're brilliant and stick around for 10 years (highly unlikely) they'll only be 65 at the end of it, hardly too old.

Compared to Pulis and Warnock that is young.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, atypical_boro said:

Woodgate was not 'qualified'.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Brunners said:

yes. He's a stable hand while Scott finds our next guy.

Thats what I've been saying since last season (minus the bit about Scott).

Yet had people ridiculing me and saying Warnock is here to get us promoted. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
Just now, atypical_boro said:

Depends what classes as 'qualified'. If you want someone young (as per the post above), you're not going to get much experience.

When people say "young" they don't mean "he needs to be a specific age" they mean "he needs to have been taught how to play football that is relevant to the modern game" and not "yOu NeEd To DiE fOr ThReE PoInTs PASHUUUUN"

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, atypical_boro said:

Woody was young, but not qualified or progressive. His football was dire and he had zero experience. And I saw no evidence of using analytics, performance data etc to improve the team beyond "Be good to play like Liverpool ey?" 

And a 55 year old is a spring chicken compared to Warnock. To be clear though, I'm not saying younger always = better. Alex Ferguson was alright, wasn't he?

However, it's not a stretch to imagine younger managers are more in tune with the skillsets and demands on modern footballers, understanding modern training and coaching methods, as well as being more likely to use the vast amounts of analytics and performance data available. 

2 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Yet had people ridiculing me and saying Warnock is here to get us promoted. 🤷‍♂️

That's because the arrival of Scott is pivotal to accepting that. Before he's coming in, all we as fans see is a second case of Gibson's personal bucket list in the space of a couple of years.

Without Scott, what is the value of Warnock's credentials if not promotion? Scott represents a serious change in mindset (hopefully) whilst Warnock alone coming in year by year means short term focus and thus short term expectations.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

When people say "young" they don't mean "he needs to be a specific age" they mean "he needs to have been taught how to play football that is relevant to the modern game" and not "yOu NeEd To DiE fOr ThReE PoInTs PASHUUUUN"

OK, well the post said 'progressive' already, so maybe 'young' isn't relevant at all. Bielsa plays the modern way and is 66.

I'm not sure everyone does mean that though, I think some people, when they say it, like the idea of a coach in his late 30s like Bryan Robson was or whatever. And I don't understand why.

Just now, SouthernSmoggie said:

Woody was young, but not qualified or progressive. His football was dire and he had zero experience. And I saw no evidence of using analytics, performance data etc to improve the team beyond "Be good to play like Liverpool ey?" 

And a 55 year old is a spring chicken compared to Warnock. To be clear though, I'm not saying younger always = better. Alex Ferguson was alright, wasn't he?

However, it's not a stretch to imagine younger managers are more in tune with the skillsets and demands on modern footballers, understanding modern training and coaching methods, as well as being more likely to use the vast amounts of analytics and performance data available. 

Woody was meant to be progressive, he just got it horribly wrong and then panicked after Blackburn beat us by grinding out the result. Mowbray said something like "sometimes you have to play ugly" and Woody seemingly took that to heart because we played ugly after that.

Just now, wilsoncgp said:
10 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

That's because the arrival of Scott is pivotal to accepting that. Before he's coming in, all we as fans see is a second case of Gibson's personal bucket list in the space of a couple of years.

Without Scott, what is the value of Warnock's credentials if not promotion? Scott represents a serious change in mindset (hopefully) whilst Warnock alone coming in year by year means short term focus and thus short term expectations.

Yes basically this is the key

With Scott; you can accept a year of Warnock and mid table mediocrity.

Without Scott, it's promotion or bust for Warnock.

• Like 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to Warnock........is he worth it?