oneBoro Forum

Warnock........is he worth it?

55 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Giving Warnock the chop now would be strange. We've just allowed him to dictate* our transfer window. 

It sounds strange, but I'd rather we plod on (through gritted teeth), so we can afford Scott time to properly plan the transition away from NW. Hopefully he can build the foundations of the succession before the new manager arrives. Rather than the slapdash approach to it post Pulis.

* Although given his comments in the Gazette maybe he's not been give carte blanche.

Sensible post. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been told he’s off

Easy enough to write patronising rubbish when you don’t actually support  the club? We are only Middlesbrough after all? Narrative seems to be ‘stop moaning, be grateful for what you have, with a bit

Revisionism and nonsense. 49 goals in a full season under Pulis, 68 and 63 in our seasons under Karanka. We might have been shot shy and moved the ball a bit ponderously under Karanka but we played ha

Posted Images

5 hours ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Giving Warnock the chop now would be strange. We've just allowed him to dictate* our transfer window. 

It sounds strange, but I'd rather we plod on (through gritted teeth), so we can afford Scott time to properly plan the transition away from NW. Hopefully he can build the foundations of the succession before the new manager arrives. Rather than the slapdash approach to it post Pulis.

* Although given his comments in the Gazette maybe he's not been give carte blanche.

Can you post a link to these comments? Cheers.

6 hours ago, Erimus 63 said:

Can you post a link to these comments? Cheers.

"Boro are also said to be closing in on Mitchell van Bergen after agreeing a fee with Heerenveen, but Warnock said: "If we are, it's nowt to do with me." "

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/neil-warnock-awaiting-transfer-update-21370715

• Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

"Boro are also said to be closing in on Mitchell van Bergen after agreeing a fee with Heerenveen, but Warnock said: "If we are, it's nowt to do with me." "

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/neil-warnock-awaiting-transfer-update-21370715

When I heard we were bringing in a DOF I was pleased, especially after we've struggled in the transfer market for the last few years. However my first thought was that its the type of setup that Warnock won't like as he's old school. 

I hope this transition process of Scott taking over his role has Warnock and everyone else bought into it otherwise things could get messy. 

The comments in the gazette article makes me wonder how happy Warnock is with the way our recruitment model is working and I think we will be eventually moving in a seperate directions. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Agreed. The handover needs to be done properly, with the necessary planning done in advance, to make sure the new guy is someone who can take us forward for a few years, hopefully able to make better use of our current squad than Warnock, gradually making Boro a force to be reckoned with over time.

I can live with Warnock for the rest of the season, if need be. The old fella at least deserves a dignified send-off (feeling a bit more magnanimous knowing his days are numbered).

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

When I heard we were bringing in a DOF I was pleased, especially after we've struggled in the transfer market for the last few years. However my first thought was that its the type of setup that Warnock won't like as he's old school. 

I hope this transition process of Scott taking over his role has Warnock and everyone else bought into it otherwise things could get messy. 

The comments in the gazette article makes me wonder how happy Warnock is with the way our recruitment model is working and I think we will be eventually moving in a seperate directions. 

His comments in the article are quite telling IMO. 

• Like 1

Not a fan of Warnock and I still think Mogga is the best manager we got rid of but as TM said on many occasions It is what it is ........Do you follow me?

Fingers crossed that NW doesn’t bugger things up to much and we somehow make the play-offs. Fact is that he is here until the end of the season so we plough on. Hoping for anything else seems pointless 

We need a smooth transition between managers. My hope is that NW can nurture the new signings and his own signings to form the nucleus of a potential side that can push for promotion. This will be a tall order and will require give and take on all sides. All we want is success for the club and the fans. 

• Like 1

I really do not understand the anti Warnock rhetoric. He is overseeing a transitioning team. He is the manager with the best record of promotion from this league bar none. He has been trusted by our owner to oversee the transition. He seems well thought of amongst the players. Payero does not speak English has moved from Argentina and needs to settle in to new surroundings He needs time. He is being kept in and around the squad.

What has he done wrong exactly? We have no right to smash any team even Derby. It is where we are in May 2022 that matters. All the new players are getting used to one another and how they fit in. His best 2 forward players from last season were carrying injuries. 

I think some folk have just been waiting to jump on him as soon as they could. If we are out of the top ten by December, fair enough. If we finish above 10th he will have improved us we are never going to be top 2 with Fulham, WBA and to some extent Bournemouth and their parachute money. We are trying to compete on peanuts. I think we can and will make top 6 if Sporar, Burger Van and a LB capable of playing CB come in and can hit the ground running relatively quickly.

You all know he is leaving next May why disrupt this season by sacking him and putting in another temporary coach who will know he is offski in May, whats his buy in? Total madness to do anything but see how he pans out, madness

• Thanks 1

Personally and I hate to say it but NW should be giving around 15 games and then access the clubs performance. I am hoping there is some visibility with shape and tactics but if there is not, change must be implemented. I don’t think the home crowd will give him that long to be honest. 

• Sad 1
8 minutes ago, DocMartin said:

I really do not understand the anti Warnock rhetoric. He is overseeing a transitioning team. He is the manager with the best record of promotion from this league bar none. He has been trusted by our owner to oversee the transition. He seems well thought of amongst the players. Payero does not speak English has moved from Argentina and needs to settle in to new surroundings He needs time. He is being kept in and around the squad.

What has he done wrong exactly? We have no right to smash any team even Derby. It is where we are in May 2022 that matters. All the new players are getting used to one another and how they fit in. His best 2 forward players from last season were carrying injuries. 

I think some folk have just been waiting to jump on him as soon as they could. If we are out of the top ten by December, fair enough. If we finish above 10th he will have improved us we are never going to be top 2 with Fulham, WBA and to some extent Bournemouth and their parachute money. We are trying to compete on peanuts. I think we can and will make top 6 if Sporar, Burger Van and a LB capable of playing CB come in and can hit the ground running relatively quickly.

You all know he is leaving next May why disrupt this season by sacking him and putting in another temporary coach who will know he is offski in May, whats his buy in? Total madness to do anything but see how he pans out, madness

Great post 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

Personally and I hate to say it but NW should be giving around 15 games and then access the clubs performance. I am hoping there is some visibility with shape and tactics but if there is not, change must be implemented. I don’t think the home crowd will give him that long to be honest. 

Then the fans that do hound him deserve the credit for derailing this season. Warnock is off in May 2022 for goodness sake, a new temporarymanager will need to be in post knowing he wont get the job with Scott planning for next summer and the new manager and transfers. I repeat putting a temporary manager in between now and May achieves nothing, it would upset some of the players signed this window and be far more disruptive than letting Warnock do his thing and hope he can get us into the play offs. The words foot and shooting and yourself spring to mind.

Gibson clearly has a plan let him get on with it his way, be patient, for the good of the team and club.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, DocMartin said:

Then the fans that do hound him deserve the credit for derailing this season. Warnock is off in May 2022 for goodness sake, a new temporarymanager will need to be in post knowing he wont get the job with Scott planning for next summer and the new manager and transfers. I repeat putting a temporary manager in between now and May achieves nothing, it would upset some of the players signed this window and be far more disruptive than letting Warnock do his thing and hope he can get us into the play offs. The words foot and shooting and yourself spring to mind.

Gibson clearly has a plan let him get on with it his way, be patient, for the good of the team and club.

Let’s face facts none of us can see the future so it’s all purely hypothetical. I’ll stand by what I said about the fans though as NW is not exactly winning them over and I think they have lost faith in the club and long term projects. 
The question being why would the club need a temporary manager and not accelerate there current plan, if there is one?  

• Like 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to Warnock........is he worth it?