oneBoro Forum

Warnock........is he worth it?

Are we the only fanbase in England that immediately sets its sights on an ex-manager, or an ex-player who has never managed, to take over every time? Or is that a thing everyone does?

Get somebody with absolutely no connection to the club, area, or Steve Gibson. I don't want his mate who's "coming to do him a favour" or someone who has a nice thick Teesside accent. I want someone determined to succeed in their own right.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been told he’s off

Easy enough to write patronising rubbish when you don’t actually support  the club? We are only Middlesbrough after all? Narrative seems to be ‘stop moaning, be grateful for what you have, with a bit

Revisionism and nonsense. 49 goals in a full season under Pulis, 68 and 63 in our seasons under Karanka. We might have been shot shy and moved the ball a bit ponderously under Karanka but we played ha

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Just bring Karanka back. I'll pay for his plane ticket

Please keep that toxic man as far away as possible from this football club. The club was shattered to pieces when he left because of his controlling management methods.

Forever will be remembered for the play off final and promotion seasons whilst producing decent football but there is no way Steve Gibson will ever have him back as manager even though they remain good friends.

His controlling ways also cost him his job at Forest and Birmingham as players seen completely through him.

• Like 5

Strange thought but could be onto a winner, encourage George Friend to get his badges and what not as I think he could be a very good up and coming Manager, Boro folks would take to him.

Thinking out of the box so to speak!

I question what the club has to offer to attract a manager.
In my eyes a proven or up and coming manager could be risking a reputation after all what exactly has the club done over the past since relegation, or indeed what did they do to try and prevent relegation.  

So what is the attraction, what has the club to offer, history, facilities, players, investment, salary, what?

History, heritage, passion is hardly a sell as the North’s poorer relative . 
The owner, interferes and has little left to invest and is set on a model that cuts the cloth that best suits the town. 
Players, disjointed, mediocre on loan. 
Facilities, although probably one the best it’s really just real estate.  
A huge salary, what? 

I don’t think we have much to offer, if anything then a stepping stone that should someone do fantastical well, it may help highlight there worth. 

The point I am making is the club is not going through a bit of a bad spell it’s pretty much realistically, embedded in the championship survivalist category, therefore it will be hard to attract a manager as it has finding decent players. 

1 hour ago, diggerlad07 said:

Please keep that toxic man as far away as possible from this football club. The club was shattered to pieces when he left because of his controlling management methods.

Forever will be remembered for the play off final and promotion seasons whilst producing decent football but there is no way Steve Gibson will ever have him back as manager even though they remain good friends.

His controlling ways also cost him his job at Forest and Birmingham as players seen completely through him.

He lasted longer than their average manager 😂

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Smokedsalmon said:

Are we the only fanbase in England that immediately sets its sights on an ex-manager, or an ex-player who has never managed, to take over every time? Or is that a thing everyone does?

Get somebody with absolutely no connection to the club, area, or Steve Gibson. I don't want his mate who's "coming to do him a favour" or someone who has a nice thick Teesside accent. I want someone determined to succeed in their own right.

McLaren, Strachan, Karanka, Monk, Pulis, Warnock...?

vs Robson, Southgate, Mowbray, Woodgate

We've had at least 6 managers in recent memory that weren't former players and had no previous connection to the area.

We've had 4 former players, 2 of whom weren't from around Teesside.

You can kind of understand wanting someone from the area, as they are more likely to give their all and connect with the fans (and be able to work with the board).

But as we know thats no guarantee they will succeed. I agree it should be like any other job...you  get it on merit. Personally I couldn't care less if we became the first pro men's club to have a female manager, as long as they have demonstrated their qualifications and experience...and not through a PowerPoint presentation...

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

We've had at least 6 managers in recent memory that weren't former players and had no previous connection to the area.

You can kind of understand wanting someone from the area, as they are more likely to give their all and connect with the fans (and be able to work with the board).

But as we know thats no guarantee they will succeed. I agree it should be like any other job...you  get it on merit. Personally I couldn't care less if we became the first pro men's club to have a female manager, as long as they have demonstrated their qualifications and experience...and not through a PowerPoint presentation...

Just throwing it in, Newcastle.. 

10 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

You could argue that 3 of the managers which didn't really have a connection with the area were close to Gibson in some way. Pulis and Warnock are both friends of Gibson. I'm not sure about Strachan but wouldn't be surprised if he was. Especially given that he walked away without a payoff (publicly anyway) 

27 minutes ago, Johnmfc81 said:

You could argue that 3 of the managers which didn't really have a connection with the area were close to Gibson in some way. Pulis and Warnock are both friends of Gibson. I'm not sure about Strachan but wouldn't be surprised if he was. Especially given that he walked away without a payoff (publicly anyway) 

I really respect Strachan for that - you know that managers such as Pulis and Monk would not have that level of class. 

• Like 1

My prerequisites for a new manager/head coach

• Completed all (or at least most) of their coaching badges.

• Experience of coaching at different age levels, but with at least some experience of senior football.

• Has more than one approach to football, being able to adapt when things aren't working. 

• Positive attitude, honest and doesn't look for excuses.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, BearSmog said:

My prerequisites for a new manager/head coach

• Experience of coaching at different age levels, but with at least some experience of senior football.

• Has more than one approach to football, being able to adapt when things aren't working. 

When you put it like that, it's crazy that pretty much none of our recent managers tick those 4 boxes. 

- Southgate, Woodgate (?)

- Woodgate

- Pulis, Warnock, Southgate, 

- Pulis, Warnock, Monk, Woodgate (league table is lying) 

5 minutes ago, boksicdink said:

I really respect Strachan for that - you know that managers such as Pulis and Monk would not have that level of class. 

I don’t think that’s the actually the whole of the truth regarding walking away without payment. I’ve heard that he waived some form of bonus (still admirable) rather than a pay off as was reported.

• Downsouth changed the title to Warnock........is he worth it?