Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been told he’s off

Easy enough to write patronising rubbish when you don’t actually support  the club? We are only Middlesbrough after all? Narrative seems to be ‘stop moaning, be grateful for what you have, with a bit

Revisionism and nonsense. 49 goals in a full season under Pulis, 68 and 63 in our seasons under Karanka. We might have been shot shy and moved the ball a bit ponderously under Karanka but we played ha

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, nunthorpered said:

On the whole, i enjoyed the AK era in the Champ, but never wise to go back imo. Never the same. 

Never go back, but we had an identity, played to a game plan (like it or not) and progressed based on repetition. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, diggerlad07 said:

His controlling ways also cost him his job at Forest and Birmingham as players seen completely through him.

I know this is maybe besides the point but didn't the fans love him there? Didn't they want him to stay at the time?

17 minutes ago, nunthorpered said:

On the whole, i enjoyed the AK era in the Champ, but never wise to go back imo. Never the same. 

It's not like it ended on a good note either, most management jobs don't but his wasn't just results it was his conduct even prior to promotion.

And its worth remembering the absolute destruction of his regime that took place immediately after he went too. We couldn't get rid of his people quick enough. We wanted him rooting out and we did it.

• Like 1

I personally think we're one of the most desirable clubs to manage in the Championship. Great infrastructure, decent sized fanbase, fantastic stadium, good finances for a team with no parachute payments, a chairman who is willing to give time (but also prepared to be ruthless, see Monk and Woodgate) and a recent history of achievement that gives us a presence outside of the UK plus an even more recent history of under-achievement which means that a new manager/coach has room to grow the team.

My problem with Gibson's appointments since AK was chopped is that each one has been a knee-jerk reaction against the previous manager; pretty much how a fan would make appointments rather than CEO. Apart from Woodgate and Agnew, each appointment has made sense in its own right but has just contributed to destabilising the club due to sequencing.

Appointing Scott is a reasonable approach in order to try to stop that destabilisation. If he oversees the club for at least 5 years and is able to manage continuity in appointments then that will be great. However, this is also his first time doing that and there's no guarantee that he will succeed. (For example, if JLS and Sporar were his recommendations then the jury's out about his judgement until we have a manager in place who can use them.)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, diggerlad07 said:

Yeah i suppose anything over a 6 month period at Forest is deemed successful isnt it?

We shouldn't really mock. In less than 5 years we've had 6 permanent managers ourselves, soon to be 7 if some fans get their way.

Edited by atypical_boro
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Bruce said:

I personally think we're one of the most desirable clubs to manage in the Championship. Great infrastructure, decent sized fanbase, fantastic stadium, good finances for a team with no parachute payments, a chairman who is willing to give time (but also prepared to be ruthless, see Monk and Woodgate) and a recent history of achievement that gives us a presence outside of the UK plus an even more recent history of under-achievement which means that a new manager/coach has room to grow the team.

My problem with Gibson's appointments since AK was chopped is that each one has been a knee-jerk reaction against the previous manager; pretty much how a fan would make appointments rather than CEO. Apart from Woodgate and Agnew, each appointment has made sense in its own right but has just contributed to destabilising the club due to sequencing.

Appointing Scott is a reasonable approach in order to try to stop that destabilisation. If he oversees the club for at least 5 years and is able to manage continuity in appointments then that will be great. However, this is also his first time doing that and there's no guarantee that he will succeed. (For example, if JLS and Sporar were his recommendations then the jury's out about his judgement until we have a manager in place who can use them.)

Because each one has been an attempt to appease fans. That is the game he's been in since our run in the PL came to an end in 2009. Before that, we appointed a manager and everyone got behind his decision (Robson/McClaren/Southgate) even if they started badly. Its very different nowadays and times have changed, externally as well as internally. Dare I say it the appointment of Scott is largely to appease fans although I really hope it pays dividends.

1 hour ago, Bruce said:

I personally think we're one of the most desirable clubs to manage in the Championship.

Not sure we still are:

1 season in the premier league in 13 years

6 or 7 managers in 5 years. 

4 years of telling everyone we have no money.

A chairman that interferes in transfer activity. 

there is a lot of good stuff at Boro but I don’t think we are the club we were.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Not sure we still are:

1 season in the premier league in 13 years

6 or 7 managers in 5 years. 

4 years of telling everyone we have no money.

A chairman that interferes in transfer activity. 

there is a lot of good stuff at Boro but I don’t think we are the club we were.

Agree that we've sunk a fair way but if you're a young, ambitious manager and you know the only way you'll get into the Premier league is to get a team promoted then, when you look at the jobs available, I think we're the best opportunity outside of the teams with parachute payments. Yes, we're "a project" but if Warnock leaves before the end of October there'll be plenty of ambitious managers keen to give us a shot. Whether we can make the right appointment is a whole other issue.

At the moment, as a club, we have everything set up right except for the equivalent of bad decision making in the final third. 

1 minute ago, Neverbefore said:

I wonder if Gibson will be on the phone to Peter Kenyon or will he leave it all up to Scott this time around?

It’s part of Scott’s job, if gibson rang kenyon I’d be shocked if Scott didn’t down tools there and then and walk out.

Thats why I’m quite excited to see what happens, gone will be the days (in theory) of ridiculous managerial appointments. I imagine once warnock does leave we will see some interesting names thrown around and not a single ‘usual suspect’.

3 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

It’s part of Scott’s job, if gibson rang kenyon I’d be shocked if Scott didn’t down tools there and then and walk out.

Thats why I’m quite excited to see what happens, gone will be the days (in theory) of ridiculous managerial appointments. I imagine once warnock does leave we will see some interesting names thrown around and not a single ‘usual suspect’.

Yeah, but the problem is that if Scott makes a bad managerial appointment (to my knowledge he's never been in charge of these before) Gibson will still be for the high jump for not only appointing 'bad' managers but also bad Sporting Directors.

I wonder how many Sporting Directors we'll go through in the next 5 years, hopefully just one!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Robin Johnson said:

There’s a helluva lot riding on Scott! No pressure at all!!!

Indeed. I really worry that some fans think all we've got to do is appoint a sporting director and it'll be straight back to the Robson/McClaren days almost instantly. We still have all the same financial challenges, we are still a club in the north east who aren't especially fashionable, we still have the weight of expectation around our neck from the Robson/McClaren eras.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

Kenyon was around when we appointed karanka, and is a hell of a lot more experienced in managerial appointments than Scott. I'm sure Scott would appreciate his input and advice if nothing else.

• Downsouth changed the title to Warnock........is he worth it?