oneBoro Forum

Warnock........is he worth it?

1 hour ago, Rioch's Braves said:

I don't know after 10 games its highly unlikely under Gibson, we'll probably get the new players need time to gel BS.

As said above, October time he isn't shy of a sacking at all. So admittedly, yes, maybe a few more weeks. Personally I'd stick with Warnock until Scott has found someone he really wants, rather than force him into making a decision now, which I don't think was his original remit this soon.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been told he’s off

Easy enough to write patronising rubbish when you don’t actually support  the club? We are only Middlesbrough after all? Narrative seems to be ‘stop moaning, be grateful for what you have, with a bit

Revisionism and nonsense. 49 goals in a full season under Pulis, 68 and 63 in our seasons under Karanka. We might have been shot shy and moved the ball a bit ponderously under Karanka but we played ha

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, atypical_boro said:

Yes I've commented on this before. Gibson loves sacking folk in October time. Mind you, it has rarely actually paid dividends. I suppose you could say it did with the sacking of Mogga as it gave Karanka 6+ months to find his feet before mounting a promotion push in his first full season.

Does he?

He's only sacked 3 managers in October in his time as chairman, there have been 10 permanent managers including Warnock.

That's 11 if you want to class Agnew as a permanent, which I'm not sure I would.

Funny that many of us still have fond feelings for Aitor, even thought the atmosphere was toxic when he left. IMHO, he was the best manager after McClaren and I’d have him back in a heartbeat. But that’s a train that will never arrive.

53 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Does he?

He's only sacked 3 managers in October in his time as chairman, there have been 10 permanent managers including Warnock.

That's 11 if you want to class Agnew as a permanent, which I'm not sure I would.

Southgate, Strachan, Mowbray, then Monk a bit later in the December. He's way more likely to act in the next month or so than most other times in the season looking at history.

He doesn't really do January sackings and then there's the likes of Karanka/Woodgate who got pedalled with only a handful of games left as a desperate move to avoid relegation. That's not impossible here I suppose.

Anyway, an October sacking is hardly unheard of, 3 of the last 7 permanent managers have gone in that same pre-half-term week. Only Pulis has lasted the season of these post-McClaren managers. My point being, really, just that Gibson no longer shows this unshakeable patience with managers he showed during the Robson/McClaren eras (when we actually did much better but had more money).

2 hours ago, boksicdink said:

Do you think the crowd could turn on him tonight? I think a loss tonight and against Hull and I think it is full on pitchforks and torches time with the fans. 

I think the dissenting voices will probably continue if we lose but I don’t think it’ll turn properly toxic unless we suffer a complete collapse.

1 hour ago, Oslo_Syd said:

Funny that many of us still have fond feelings for Aitor, even thought the atmosphere was toxic when he left. IMHO, he was the best manager after McClaren and I’d have him back in a heartbeat. But that’s a train that will never arrive.

I have very mixed feelings personally.

Indifferent to start with, then it was great for 18 months from August 2014-March 2016, something special was in the air an it was a great time to be a Boro fan (a rarity since 2006).

March-December 2016 it was 'functional', then January-March 2017 it was awful.

I wouldn't even contemplate having him back, the moment has passed and he has not gone on to prove himself as a particularly good manager, it was a combination of factors that made him our best manager of the last 15 years and us the highlight of his managerial career. Leave the past in the past.

I have a feeling our next manager will be someone quite obscure that none of us have heard of, similar vein to Karanka who although we'd heard of no one was talking about him the day Mogga was sacked.

26 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Stay of execution....for now.

Yep, most of us wanted to see the back of Warnock and then we win against Sheff United. He probably reckons that his tactics have been vindicated.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Oslo_Syd said:

Yep, most of us wanted to see the back of Warnock and then we win against Sheff United. He probably reckons that his tactics have been vindicated.

Well they were vindicated tonight. If we can sneak 4 points from the next 6 we’ll likely be firmly back in the play-off picture with some momentum. We should be getting behind them not precariously and conservatively celebrating a win because we’re worried it means the manager won’t get sacked.

• Like 1

I think it is fair to say that most Boro fans will get behind him and the team if we see an up tick on performances, certainly I am not going to bay for him to leave if we witness this.

If last night was a bench mark then bad day at the office performances from all the team will not be accepted.

It has been a poor year for Boro fans and let's hope it does get better for however long he is stll with us.

We do need to bring some positive aspects in our own support

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

I think it is fair to say that most Boro fans will get behind him and the team if we see an up tick on performances, certainly I am not going to bay for him to leave if we witness this.

If last night was a bench mark then bad day at the office performances from all the team will not be accepted.

It has been a poor year for Boro fans and let's hope it does get better for however long he is stll with us.

We do need to bring some positive aspects in our own support

I though the fans did well last night. They made plenty of noise...certainly in the first half.

They don't need much...just to see the lads trying and playing some effective football.

Sounded like a good atmosphere anyway.

12 hours ago, atypical_boro said:

Well they were vindicated tonight. If we can sneak 4 points from the next 6 we’ll likely be firmly back in the play-off picture with some momentum. We should be getting behind them not precariously and conservatively celebrating a win because we’re worried it means the manager won’t get sacked.

It's a single win and good performance after a run of draws and losses. We played terribly just three days ago - people are sensible to be cautious.

If we keep playing like this and beat Hull and Peterbrough, then I might start to believe the tide is turning.

But we've had isolated good wins in the past without it ever turning into consistent form. Don't be shocked to see another Reading-type performance on Saturday, it's happened before after a promising performance under Warnock.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

It's a single win and good performance after a run of draws and losses. We played terribly just three days ago - people are sensible to be cautious.

If we keep playing like this and beat Hull and Peterbrough, then I might start to believe the tide is turning.

But we've had isolated good wins in the past without it ever turning into consistent form. Don't be shocked to see another Reading-type performance on Saturday, it's happened before after a promising performance under Warnock.

I have no issue with folk being “cautious” and not getting carried away. But I’m seeing genuine despondence from some posts, as though it’s somehow a bad thing we won because Warnock should be sacked regardless. Let’s see if we can get back in the play-off mix, a 4 point gap is hardly Insurmountable! 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, atypical_boro said:

The teams we're playing next, anything less than 9 points from 9 is inexcusable IMO, especially for a "promotion chasing" team.

I'm still firmly on the Warnock out train and one alright performance isn't going to change my mind.

• Like 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to Warnock........is he worth it?