oneBoro Forum

Warnock........is he worth it?

2 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

Screenshot_20210930-094654_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9b902f0f6714791542564ab30f7f55c9.jpg

I cannot remember a worse team beating us than that day, they played awful and somehow won 2-1.

This Hull side is better than that one.

I still think we should be winning, but these are exactly the sort of games we tend to struggle in.

It does seem like one of those potential banana skin games. If we go there thinking we just have to turn up to win, we could easily end up with egg on our faces.

The refs also seem to play a bigger part than usual...and how much Warnock berates them.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been told he’s off

Easy enough to write patronising rubbish when you don’t actually support  the club? We are only Middlesbrough after all? Narrative seems to be ‘stop moaning, be grateful for what you have, with a bit

Revisionism and nonsense. 49 goals in a full season under Pulis, 68 and 63 in our seasons under Karanka. We might have been shot shy and moved the ball a bit ponderously under Karanka but we played ha

Posted Images

5 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

Screenshot_20210930-094654_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9b902f0f6714791542564ab30f7f55c9.jpg

I cannot remember a worse team beating us than that day, they played awful and somehow won 2-1.

This Hull side is better than that one.

I still think we should be winning, but these are exactly the sort of games we tend to struggle in.

We should be a better Boro team as well though shouldn't we?  We have a fantastic run of games coming up, and I'm guessing Warnock believes that this is where we can get our season going.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

We should be a better Boro team as well though shouldn't we?  We have a fantastic run of games coming up, and I'm guessing Warnock believes that this is where we can get our season going.

Very true, and anything but 7-9 points from the next 3 is a failure in my eyes, but I always get burnt when I expect us to win a match comfortably.

Charlton and Rotherham under Karanka.

Newport and Burton under Pulis, still haunted by them.

Wigan, Luton and Barnsley under Woodgate.

That Hull match, Huddersfield, Sheffield Wednesday, Derby, Rotherham and Wycombe under Warnock.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Very true, and anything but 7-9 points from the next 3 is a failure in my eyes, but I always get burnt when I expect us to win a match comfortably.

Charlton and Rotherham under Karanka.

Newport and Burton under Pulis, still haunted by them.

Wigan, Luton and Barnsley under Woodgate.

That Hull match, Huddersfield, Sheffield Wednesday, Derby, Rotherham and Wycombe under Warnock.

I wouldn't include cup games personally cos all kinds of weird things can go on there, and yeah I've seen plenty of them myself.  Burton under Pulis but also Burton under Mowbray when they were League Two.  I can remember being at Ayresome seeing us lose at home against Swansea in a cup replay years back, I wasn't there for the Grimsby game a few years previously though a bit before my time as a fan.  We got knocked out by Tranmere and Wrexham one year under Robson, Notts County at home under Southgate, and Cardiff at home in the quarter finals.  We've also had our share of upsets as well of course.

League games to me are a different kettle of fish.  It's not that you won't get a few odd results because it does tend to happen over the course of 10 months or so, but if you're a decent side then you will tend to get results, and a number of those results will come against the teams you expect to beat.  Our problem is that we haven't really been a decent side under Warnock, or rather we haven't been a good one, we've been a bit short haven't we?  I mentioned on the Sheff Utd match thread that we play only two teams above us in the league between now and the middle of December.  That's a really good run of games.  We're unlikely to win them all or go undefeated, but we should be looking to put a lot of wins together out of that lot if we are serious about finishing top six.

• Like 2
On 9/30/2021 at 9:54 AM, Brunners said:

Because I believe he has! We did strengthen the squad in the window, by and large the replacements all have better pedigree than the players they are replacing, we just aren't seeing that because of our shitty manager.

And I won't give him credit for Jones because he was forced into it. What other options did he really have at that point? Also I agree with @wilsoncgpthat just because that's how it works, doesn't make it right. 

This is the problem, it may well have been a fluke. If we come out against Hull and play like we did vs Reading or the second half of Blackpool, then the SU result was 100% a fluke.

Were they though? Sheff Utd cut us apart pretty easily multiple times & bar some bad finishing probably should have scored a goal or two.

I am very much feet on the group and will wait to judge progress based on  performance and results over the next 3 games. It could be argued we don’t judge anyone based on 3 games but in this case, because of our point tally and performance, and because we are playing clubs we should be beating I think it justified. Expectation should be 9 points but if NW and the team come away with anything less then 7 points there should be consequences. 

• Like 1

Proves what many of us thought after the Sheff Utd game - lucky win helped in no small part by a random wonder strike. 

Even if we had beat Hull, it would have been in spite of Warnock. The only chances ever come from isolated good bits of indivudal play, never from tactics or a game plan.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Hendrie_7 said:

He's just said on the Tees interview that he doesn't think he could do anymore than what he did today.

I think that's the problem though, isn't it?

Sounds like an admission of defeat? It’s not really working, I don’t think it’s going  to work with any degree of consistency. Fresh eyes and certainly some imaginative fresh ideas are the order of the day for me. 

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, thatoldchestnut said:

Well I wont be going to watch them whilst he is still the manager.

I can't fault you, watch the crowds start to disappear, I'm a North Stand season card holder unfortunately still got the blind loyalty syndrome, more fool me. 

1 minute ago, CrazyL said:

Sounds like an admission of defeat? It’s not really working, I don’t think it’s going  to work with any degree of consistency. Fresh eyes and certainly some imaginative fresh ideas are the order of the day for me. 

I've just said something along the lines of this in the match thread.  It really wouldn't surprise me if he walked now.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, CrazyL said:

When you start talking like that you might as well wave the white flag, so just do the right thing and go. 

• Like 3
  • Downsouth changed the title to Warnock........is he worth it?
2 hours ago, Rioch's Braves said:

When you start talking like that you might as well wave the white flag, so just do the right thing and go. 

He's obviously very disappointed and we don't know whether he's just not choosing his words very well, but if he genuinely doesn't think he can do anymore then its probably just a matter of time. 

• Like 1