oneBoro Forum

Warnock........is he worth it?

I have no special insight into any of this but what it seems to me is this. Appointing Kieran Scott was the relaunch of the Golden Thread. Because Scott needed to be involved in choosing our next manager, wasn't free until September and so on, we couldn't appoint a replacement for Warnock in the summer so we went on a twin track approach. Warnock would give it his best to get us to the play-offs and would be supported as far as possible. He would also be responsible for integrating players bought/loaned for the new golden thread. The feeling clearly being that if we didn't get to the playoffs we would still be comfortably mid-table and that Warnock would leave once the play-offs were no longer possible and a new manager had been agreed.

That has failed far earlier than anyone expected. Although the crowd hasn't turned yet it's not far from doing so. Presumably, also, we're still in the process of deciding on a new manager. If we're lucky, we might be able to appoint one in the next few weeks by accelerating the process. If not, we have a problem.

Warnock and Gibson both know that Warnock is on borrowed time which means Gibson has a decision to make. Does he tough it out with Warnock for as long as it takes to bring in a new coach or does he put a caretaker like Graeme Lee in charge? 

You know what you will get with Warnock. Odds are he has enough of 'his' players to work with to prevent us from being completely sucked into a relegation battle. Warnock may of course walk if he feels it's no longer worth the grief. Put in a caretaker without a locked in replacement makes a relegation battle a real possibility if the caretaker is out of his depth.

My feeling is that Gibson will try to keep Warnock on for as long as he can until he has a replacement and that any "compromise" will be that Warnock gets to do things his way and leaves when both sides agree. With the squad being such a mess right now, appointing someone might just ruin their start; having Warnock deal with it means he acts as a heatshield.

Personally I would go with Graeme Lee and just try to drain the toxicity from the situation. I'm not sure that results would improve but providing that he can get a team on the pitch and coach them with a minimum of competence I think we'll be alright. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been told he’s off

Easy enough to write patronising rubbish when you don’t actually support  the club? We are only Middlesbrough after all? Narrative seems to be ‘stop moaning, be grateful for what you have, with a bit

Revisionism and nonsense. 49 goals in a full season under Pulis, 68 and 63 in our seasons under Karanka. We might have been shot shy and moved the ball a bit ponderously under Karanka but we played ha

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

Complete opposite to what i heard...  No sign of injury at all and was told he wont be near the match days squad for a long period as warnock and the backroom staff dont trust him.

What time is warnock getting sacked did you say?

11am

1 minute ago, Tarmo Kink Army said:

I agree as well, what’s the point in keeping Warnock till the end when next season will be another transitional period under a new manager. Surely it makes sense to get someone in now use the rest of this season to transition and go for it next year, with someone who will keep the ball on the ground.

yep and next season will be already set up by the guy after a good consolidation of the new footballing philosophy instilled into the players. lets be honest, it will take more than a few games to knock this style out of some of them. its so easy for any of us to just launch a ball high and long. instead of thinking to much on making angles to receive passes in tight areas.

2 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

Complete opposite to what i heard...  No sign of injury at all and was told he wont be near the match days squad for a long period as warnock and the backroom staff dont trust him.

What time is warnock getting sacked did you say?

Warnock is going out of his way to hurt this man’s career, I just wish the club would let him go and get a manager who would use technically gifted players correctly 

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink Army said:

Always feel like Payero is going to be someone Warnock doesn’t appreciate as he was the clubs signing with a lot of Buzz from the fans who all were excited, whereas Olusanya felt like Warnocks reply to the Payero signing almost and him proving he can still spot a player and that’s why he’s getting these minutes off the bench while looking out of his depth

Olusanya looks like someone who's won a competition to be out there, no offence to him but it's baffling that he is getting 15/20 mins a game ahead of Payero

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, TheHolgate said:

Gibson hasn't been ruthless enough for me. This half way house of keeping Warnock whilst the rest of club is going in a different direction seems bizarre to me.

It's Gibson all over though, loyal to his friends to an absolute fault, to the detriment of the club. He's blind to it for some reason.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, TheHolgate said:

Gibson hasn't been ruthless enough for me. This half way house of keeping Warnock whilst the rest of club is going in a different direction seems bizarre to me.

He always leaves it too long. Not sure if hes trying to be purposely contrarian, but he will soon see what happens

Just now, Brunners said:

It's Gibson all over though, loyal to his friends to an absolute fault, to the detriment of the club. He's blind to it for some reason.

True, although in recent years he has been willing to get rid quicker. 

1 minute ago, boksicdink said:

Olusanya looks like someone who's won a competition to be out there, no offence to him but it's baffling that he is getting 15/20 mins a game ahead of Payero

Like a deer in headlights when he’s brought on

• Like 1