oneBoro Forum

Warnock........is he worth it?

8 hours ago, Tom said:

Actually quite a lot of the local papers in England have a similar relationship with the club they report on, unfortunately. I've seen local papers appear to defend really bad owners like the Oystons at Blackpool. Leeds are doing well now, but for years one of the journos at the Yorkshire Evening Post would get mercilessly mocked on Twitter over how positive he was when Leeds were rubbish.

I'm sure it's more because they have a friendly relationship with the manager/chairman that they are giving them the benefit of the doubt and not wanting to criticise them too much, rather than them being dictated what to say, but nonetheless, it isn't really representative of the fans, and it's crap. But as I say, it's hardly something that the Gazette are alone in.

I'm sure you a right. I just find it a bit astounding that a newspaper and their journalists are willing to so blatantly tow the clubs line and more or less do as they are told by a private company. As a sports writer you must be itching to ask the difficult questions when you can see that things are really going bad and the supporters are very much divided. When Pulis said that 7th was a better season than before. When Pulis threw the playoffs. Now the weird antics by Warnock ie. the ridiculous stuff regarding Akpom. Why not dig into stuff like that and hold the club responsible for it's decisions? I suppose it all comes down to money and the power Gibson holds over the paper. In my opinion Gibson should be just as ashamed. Locking out local journalists. Jesus, what a kindergarten mentality.

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been told he’s off

Easy enough to write patronising rubbish when you don’t actually support  the club? We are only Middlesbrough after all? Narrative seems to be ‘stop moaning, be grateful for what you have, with a bit

Revisionism and nonsense. 49 goals in a full season under Pulis, 68 and 63 in our seasons under Karanka. We might have been shot shy and moved the ball a bit ponderously under Karanka but we played ha

Posted Images

The forum is buzzing, unfortunately for all the wrong reasons. 
The Boro fans are pretty understanding and accommodating about the club affairs, after all we witnessed the near collapse of its very existence, then came the ultimate highs of competing in Europe and our first cup, now what a ride that was. 

The issue for many is how far Boro have regressed and when will the slide be arrested, when will these unwanted records the club accumulates stop, when will they see a team they think can win again and play some reasonable football. 
It doesn’t help matters when the club or manager can’t or won’t connect with its fan base and there lies the problem, communication.  

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Robin Johnson said:

Vickers was one of the few worth reading in the Gazette. A lot of his articles demonstrated he had his finger on the pulse of the average Boro fan.

The Gazette’s loss for sure. His articles were largely exceptionally well crafted and he proved to be a very smart wordsmith. 

So I can understand why you would fight shy about any comparison with him.

Anthony Vickers for Craig Johns is the worst substitution since Pulis brought Friend on for Assombalonga against Brentford.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9
8 minutes ago, Humpty said:

Anthony Vickers for Craig Johns is the worst substitution since Pulis brought Friend on for Assombalonga against Brentford.

Yeah I feel like the EG really lost something with Vic - I used to have non-Boro mates reading his articles because they enjoyed them so much.

If Boro were ever to get a dedicated journalist for The Athletic, Vic had to be the top of the list.  

• Like 4
7 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

Craig Johns' parents are from Saltburn and Guisborough and he went to Saltbun most weekends.

He might be a Man U fan, but having family from here is going to provide an emotional connection to the area and I'd guess at least some of his family are Boro fans.

Anthony Vickers writes for the club now, so I'm not sure his ousting was at the club's urging.

I don't know if it was officially stated at the time but I got the feeling Vickers and Tallentire leaving was as a result of cuts, perhaps just reinforced by COVID. I definitely didn't always get on with Tallentire when talking Boro but that was kind of sad how it all happened.

Vickers has obviously found something he loves out of it and I'm pretty sure going by Twitter that Tallentire has found joy in his new job as a postie so hopefully something good came from it for both of them.

43 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

The forum is buzzing, unfortunately for all the wrong reasons. 
The Boro fans are pretty understanding and accommodating about the club affairs, after all we witnessed the near collapse of its very existence, then came the ultimate highs of competing in Europe and our first cup, now what a ride that was. 

The issue for many is how far Boro have regressed and when will the slide be arrested, when will these unwanted records the club accumulates stop, when will they see a team they think can win again and play some reasonable football. 
It doesn’t help matters when the club or manager can’t or won’t connect with its fan base and there lies the problem, communication.  

Well there is certainly a lack of communication on the pitch with the players so what chance do we fans have!😐

7 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

Craig Johns' parents are from Saltburn and Guisborough and he went to Saltbun most weekends.

He might be a Man U fan, but having family from here is going to provide an emotional connection to the area and I'd guess at least some of his family are Boro fans.

Anthony Vickers writes for the club now, so I'm not sure his ousting was at the club's urging.

I'm pretty sure Vickers ousting was a cost cutting exercise by the Gazette. Both him and Tallentire left in a very short period of time and were replaced by significantly more junior journalists.

Maybe he was just about to get on a flight to Cornwall and thought he would get a discount if he took a photo with them 🤔 

4 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/loganair-signs-travel-partnership-with-mfc

Just posted with a big picture of Colins ugly mug, wouldn't be posting something like that if we were thinking of sacking him.

• Haha 1