oneBoro Forum

Warnock........is he worth it?

15 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Not really, it's his job to write articles for the Gazette, which he does. I just don't think he is achieving the balance of debate as well as he maybe thinks he is. It feels to me like it has done for a while with the Gazette; the club is better represented than the fans. The 2nd article yesterday about putting to bed certain 'untruths' as he may well choose to call them is based on some information the fans don't trust with a barge pole but he's quite full in on considering these 'myths' debunked.

I personally thought his choice of words condescending. He came across as profiling his audience as uneducated on the subject and dismissing their ability to analyse form, statistics and form conclusion.  

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been told he’s off

Easy enough to write patronising rubbish when you don’t actually support  the club? We are only Middlesbrough after all? Narrative seems to be ‘stop moaning, be grateful for what you have, with a bit

Revisionism and nonsense. 49 goals in a full season under Pulis, 68 and 63 in our seasons under Karanka. We might have been shot shy and moved the ball a bit ponderously under Karanka but we played ha

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Seems to me he will only engage with others who share his take on things, would imagine that with a bit more probing he will soon bar @Brunners from his account..........................hmmmmm might not be a bad thing😄

to be fair he does engage with us that disagree with him, he just can't really articulate why he believes what he believes with any degree of believability.

1 minute ago, Brunners said:

to be fair he does engage with us that disagree with him, he just can't really articulate why he believes what he believes with any degree of believability.

Goodness the responses I could make with regards to your comments....oh I so wish I could at times😑

4 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Goodness the responses I could make with regards to your comments....oh I so wish I could at times😑

Make a response then, lol. That's what this place is for.

23 minutes ago, Dynamo Kev said:

he's incapable of setting a team up to play any other way than midfield bypassing hoofball.

I know that's the reputation he's built up over many years but I'm not sure it's a fair reflection of our play at present.

If you watch the Hull game, the times we are hoofing the ball forward are goal kicks or clearances when we are pinned down near our own line. Generally we are trying to play through the midfield. We made 376 passes in total compared to 304 by Hull and fewer than half of ours were forward passes. Our players with most touches were the midfield players.

I know......statistics again!

1 minute ago, Brunners said:

Make a response then, lol. That's what this place is for.

In football matters then I agree and as you know often do, it's everything else that we need to refrain from having an opinion, sure you get my drift?

6 minutes ago, YorkshireSmoggie said:

I agree there should be opinions present in it, I think it was just the pointed and accusatory nature of how it was written. Somehow suggesting that the average paying fan on the terraces cant see shots attempted or xG so we need to be enlightened. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt though in that he is just trying to offer perspectives...

1 minute ago, sanddancer said:

I personally thought his choice of words condescending. He came across as profiling his audience as uneducated on the subject and dismissing their ability to analyse form, statistics and form conclusion.  

I agree with both of you on this, totally. Like I said, opinions and factual reporting can go hand in hand with sports journalism, that's fine. But like I said yesterday, before he'd even posted that article he let loose he was going to put out an article that challenged the thoughts and feelings of fans and made it sound like it was going to be a case of schooling people on what is actually going on and that's exactly how it's come across.

That started with misrepresenting shots figures as chances created. In a later point on Twitter, he talked about how Bola's shot against Hull was a good chance because if the defender didn't block it, it would have been a goal. There were like 3 or 4 defenders closing down the shot with at least 2 of those pretty much already in the way as the shot was coming in. The ball didn't miss the goal due to bad finishing but the chance wasn't clear cut because the odds of him beating that many players with a shot would have been really low. The chance also came about from a failed cross that was poorly cleared by the Hull defenders. The best part of the move was the ball through to Sporar but after that, the ball falling to Bola at all was good luck, not bad luck for us that it never got put away.

I'm glad, in a way, that it isn't just me reading the articles that way and that others feel the same.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, BoroJake said:

Players not in until Thursday wasn’t correct then either I guess

Web of lies and deceipt surrounds all things Boro, what can we believe with all this smoke and daggers stuff!

3 minutes ago, BoroJake said:

Players not in until Thursday wasn’t correct then either I guess

I'm guessing that it's only those who wanted to be there today, rather than a mandatory attendance.

It's a very small group from the photos.

36 minutes ago, McMordie said:

I know that's the reputation he's built up over many years but I'm not sure it's a fair reflection of our play at present.

If you watch the Hull game, the times we are hoofing the ball forward are goal kicks or clearances when we are pinned down near our own line. Generally we are trying to play through the midfield. We made 376 passes in total compared to 304 by Hull and fewer than half of ours were forward passes. Our players with most touches were the midfield players.

I know......statistics again!

I wouldnt say that was accurate, though its mostly true. 

let me explain what i mean. i have been getting vexed for a while about this. the lack of midfielders showing short for the ball giving us options to pass to are non existent, it doesnt happen in the middle of the pitch ever it was highlighted by that twitter link someone put on. we setup the opposite of that, non of our players move to positions to receive the ball short and interchange passes. we all move away from the person with the ball. this happens all of the time. its infuriating. when we bring the ball out from the back everyone runs long. i can only see this being a tactical plan from the manager. its so blatantly obvious. but if your not looking then you will see the guy in possession with no other options than to launch it. its why we have crap possession % most games. Next game watch for it and you'll see what i mean. once you see it you cant unsee it. it will drive you up the wall lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1