oneBoro Forum

Warnock........is he worth it?

On paper we have a top midfield but we are bypassing the midfield and playing down the channels. Plus when we attack we are pushing fullbacks too far and get countered alot. It's the tactics and coaching not the players the reason we are losing games. As Warnock is getting us to play roulette style football end to end thats a very dangerous game to play and will of course lead to inconsistent results. As we simply aren't controlling the ball we play fast forward play that is fine until we lose the ball and are suddenly counted opposition makes chance and score. We give every opposition we play a mimum of 5 good chances a game. Every team we play has a chance against us 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been told he’s off

Easy enough to write patronising rubbish when you don’t actually support  the club? We are only Middlesbrough after all? Narrative seems to be ‘stop moaning, be grateful for what you have, with a bit

Revisionism and nonsense. 49 goals in a full season under Pulis, 68 and 63 in our seasons under Karanka. We might have been shot shy and moved the ball a bit ponderously under Karanka but we played ha

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, Will said:

@Daveybongeyeare you like this in real life? Do you just spend the whole time pulling faces rather than actually talking or interacting with anyone?

I once got a reply, I think I did. It’s quite irritating because I don’t know what the crunched up emoji is implying. Possibly more of a listener then a talker which is not a bad thing given there are some, that say it best, when saying nothing at all. 
It could will be he actually has a face like that in real life 😂

Edited by sanddancer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
18 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/middlesbroughs-goalscoring-woes-must-neil-21814005.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Another gazette article, a different writer, same story of trying to get the heat off warnock. Stopped reading when the 3rd paragraph was

"In effect, Warnock appears to be paying the price for under-par summer recruitment"

I think thats a fair comment. How many of us were really wowed by any of the signings we made?

We went for quantity over quality. While we did need quantity to give much needed cover in several positions, I don't think any of the signings were any better than what we already had (Payero and Siliki apart...possibly Sporar too). There was also the glaring omission of cover for Bola.

18 hours ago, Aphex_Boro said:

Shocking article.

To be fair that Paylor fella either just seems to come out with nonsense like that or state the blindingly obvious.

Agreed. Any of us could have written that article and done a better job.

5 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

I think thats a fair comment. How many of us were really wowed by any of the signings we made?

We went for quantity over quality. While we did need quantity to give much needed cover in several positions, I don't think any of the signings were any better than what we already had (Payero and Siliki apart...possibly Sporar too). There was also the glaring omission of cover for Bola.

Warnock paying the price for the summer recruitment essentially means this isn't his fault, that we didn't improve the squad or it got worse. As things stand, if the recruitment and thus squad is the issue, we're 5 places worse off than last year because of it. Is our squad a bottom half squad? Is it even worse than last season in any way, shape or form? I don't think so.

This division isn't full of top tier sides, it's full of middle-tier sides trying to punch above their weight a little to challenge the 2 or 3 teams who are still trying to make the most of their Prem money and remaining Prem players. Those that are challenging the sides we expect to be up there are doing that because they are greater than the sum of their parts.

Pretty much nobody in this division is wowing anybody with signings, most the signings Championship clubs have made this summer have been frees or loans for whatever that's worth. I think there's only Fulham who have spent significant money this summer and the only 'wow' signing really has been Harry Wilson. A few other clubs have sold off big assets like Armstrong, Ramsdale, Pereira, Danjuma but not many clubs have spent a great deal. We're probably one of the bigger spenders this summer because of our outlay on Payero.

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Agreed. Any of us could have written that article and done a better job.

No we went for quality, just to Warnock quality is measured by how many inches over 6 foot you are. When we have gone for signings to bulk the squad up its been for pennies, and funnily enough the "quantity" signings like Peliter and Bamba are all the ones that Warnock wanted and would have made regardless of his budget.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Warnock paying the price for the summer recruitment essentially means this isn't his fault, that we didn't improve the squad or it got worse. As things stand, if the recruitment and thus squad is the issue, we're 5 places worse off than last year because of it. Is our squad a bottom half squad? Is it even worse than last season in any way, shape or form? I don't think so.

This division isn't full of top tier sides, it's full of middle-tier sides trying to punch above their weight a little to challenge the 2 or 3 teams who are still trying to make the most of their Prem money and remaining Prem players. Those that are challenging the sides we expect to be up there are doing that because they are greater than the sum of their parts.

Pretty much nobody in this division is wowing anybody with signings, most the signings Championship clubs have made this summer have been frees or loans for whatever that's worth. I think there's only Fulham who have spent significant money this summer and the only 'wow' signing really has been Harry Wilson. A few other clubs have sold off big assets like Armstrong, Ramsdale, Pereira, Danjuma but not many clubs have spent a great deal. We're probably one of the bigger spenders this summer because of our outlay on Payero.

Well I wouldn't say our squad is any stronger than it was last season.

Maybe "wowed" was the wrong choice of word. What I meant was did any of us think, "Okay, thats a decent upgrade on what we've already got".

Again nobody was expecting Boro to spend a large amount of money, backing a manger who will almost certainly be gone at the end of the season. Maybe player availability / willingness to sign for us based on what we were offering was also a factor (usually seems to be).

Whatever the reasons, we ended up bringing a lot of journeymen players in to bulk out the squad, hoping Warnock would be able to get a tune out of them and do another holding job.

I think its also weird that we sank most of our summer transfer funds into one player...who Warnock is apparently loathe to play. I know theres the argument we had one eye on the future under a new manager, but it feels premature, given we have no idea who that new manager will be yet (or maybe Scott and Gibson do?)

I'm also not blaming Warnock solely for our wheeling and dealing. There are likely numerous reasons, but the end result is we had a pretty underwhelming transfer window and ended up with a squad that I would argue is slightly weaker than what we had last season. Certainly no better and still lacking good wide players.

Edited by AnglianRed
14 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink Army said:

Anyone defending Warnock and thinks he’s the right man to get us out of this, take a look at this thread, points out all of our issues

Some really good and serious points in the comments to that tweet (y)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SmogDane said:

Some really good and serious points in the comments to that tweet (y)

Compelling as it suggestive. 
I don’t think it says much more that hasn’t been said on the forum already. Personally I made up my mind some time ago but it wasn’t popular at the time, that said there is a definite change to suggest people want change sooner rather then later. 

9 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

Well I wouldn't say our squad is any stronger than it was last season.

Maybe "wowed" was the wrong choice of word. What I meant was did any of us think, "Okay, thats a decent upgrade on what we've already got".

Again nobody was expecting Boro to spend a large amount of money, backing a manger who will almost certainly be gone at the end of the season. Maybe player availability / willingness to sign for us based on what we were offering was also a factor (usually seems to be).

Whatever the reasons, we ended up bringing a lot of journeymen players in to bulk out the squad, hoping Warnock would be able to get a tune out of them and do another holding job.

I think its also weird that we sank most of our summer transfer funds into one player...who Warnock is apparently loathe to play. I know theres the argument we had one eye on the future under a new manager, but it feels premature, given we have no idea who that new manager will be yet (or maybe Scott and Gibson do?)

I'm also not blaming Warnock solely for our wheeling and dealing. There are likely numerous reasons, but the end result is we had a pretty underwhelming transfer window and ended up with a squad that I would argue is slightly weaker than what we had last season. Certainly no better and still lacking good wide players.

I think it was desperation on our part that we fell in to believing the hype. Looking back it makes little sense to hold off bringing a manager next season because no one can really plan that far ahead. Who would or could commit to terms a year in advance. Then the question why bring in and let players go to prolong the change. The more I think about it the more far fetched it seems and it’s more likely just a cost cutting exercise and NW is simply the red herring. I don’t think there was a deliberate intent to deceive and more likely a delay tactic and had we been up near the play offs who really would complain believing the team was bedding in. 
I think it’s more about what the club has not said then said. There really is no long term plan other then to get through the season for the lowest cost. 

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

I don’t think it says much more that hasn’t been said on the forum already. Personally I made up my mind some time ago but it wasn’t popular at the time, that said there is a definite change to suggest people want change sooner rather then later. 

Totally agree. Howson is the weak link and we need players playing in the correct positions and we need to be able to control possession in midfield more effectively. Things that have been said quite often especially recently. It's quite clear we are poorly coached just from the fact we don't create alot and concede poor goals and the fact the players look baffled and frustrated on the pitch the majority of the time as there's no clear strategy. 

One thing he mentioned that I've not seen mentioned but that is a very valid point is that man marking system that doesn't work and its dinosaur tactics again. Just creates more confusion. 

Totally agree with the tweet tho I think it's only Gibson and one or two blinkered individuals who think warnock isn't the sole problem with this team. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sanddancer said:

Indeed, I don't think it particularly raises anything new to most of us? But what I like about this lad and others like him on Twitter is they're neutral, unbiased takes.

I think in the aftermath of the rubbish attacks on fan 'myths' from Johns in the Gazette the other day, it's nice to feel like your thoughts are justified by an independent source.

• Like 4

Unbiased fans can spot our weaknesses, imagine what other coaches are thinking. Plus it blows my mind how the Gazette can make an article excusing Warnock when there is stuff like this out there

Edited by Tarmo Kink Army
  • Like 4
9 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink Army said:

Unbiased fans can spot our weaknesses, imagine what other coaches are thinking. Plus it blows my mind how the Gazette can make an article excusing Warnock when there is stuff like this out there

They're a joke. They're in the club's back pocket and will say whatever they feel is in the club's best interests, put out propeganda etc and still don't get any scoops, have no idea what's going on In transfers. Like you'd normally think by toeing the line they would get something out of but I can't see what in this situation beyond them being allowed in the stadium.

• Like 4