oneBoro Forum

Warnock........is he worth it?

3 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

That's 24 hours after it was reported elsewhere, the Mail ran an article from memory yesterday on it. Considering their Officials made some very poor decisions in that game, Ikpeazu being bundled over in the box, Jones was never a booking and that Headbutt it's not a great example for either party.

My problem with Warnock is that screaming at the Officials when the game is over is pointless. Save it for the next time he is Refereeing a game and then make a comment in the pre match conferences about how we seemed to have been penalised by some poor decisions previously and list them. That way it plays mind games and could give a 50/50 doubt tipped in our favour.

referees do a difficult job, but while their errors are public, there is rarely any consequence for them from their governing body, or press (unless its a high profile game). While managers and players are constantly, and publicly abused by fans and press.

While the referees charity coming out and attacking NW and Boro is understandable from their self interest perspective, they completely and delibratley ignore the cause  - which was poor officiaiting of key decisions by Martins and his team.

if they want to keep attacking the concequence, rather than working on the cause, then nothing will change.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been told he’s off

Easy enough to write patronising rubbish when you don’t actually support  the club? We are only Middlesbrough after all? Narrative seems to be ‘stop moaning, be grateful for what you have, with a bit

Revisionism and nonsense. 49 goals in a full season under Pulis, 68 and 63 in our seasons under Karanka. We might have been shot shy and moved the ball a bit ponderously under Karanka but we played ha

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Redcar Rioja said:

My problem with Warnock is that screaming at the Officials when the game is over is pointless. Save it for the next time he is Refereeing a game and then make a comment in the pre match conferences about how we seemed to have been penalised by some poor decisions previously and list them. That way it plays mind games and could give a 50/50 doubt tipped in our favour.

Most the time I feel the same, sometimes I'm not so sure. I guess one thing being back at the stadium reminds me... is I don't mind it so much when it reflects how the fans feel in the stands.

But on Wednesday it really didn't to me. On Wednesday, the general feeling I got was the team and Warnock got it wrong. The frustration when he refused to change anything and when he did, he brought off one of the better players and one of those more likely to get us back into the game for someone he's consistently shat on for months and who went on to play as such.

Generally I think you're right, logically it doesn't make sense to do what he does but then it's clearly not a logical decision, it's an emotional one and the fans will stand by you on it if emotionally they're with you in that moment. After the game is over, fans have a relatively clear picture about what went right or what went wrong during a game, they know where they want to point their emotions towards and I honestly didn't get the sensation Wednesday that was anything to do with the officials. So him marching on to have words with the ref just makes me once again think that it's deflection.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

I'll take a wild guess and say we'll be muddling along mid table. 😉

Seeing what happened at Norwich, I can't see Warnock being overly enamoured with Scott's methods. I would expect (hope) he will step down and make way for a manager who is more open to that approach.

Well you may well be right but I’d still prefer to see it play out in actuality before taking action based on a collective hunch. Football fans often get things very wrong (certainly me included ).

• Like 1

The standard of refereeing in the Championship is abysmal. I've lost track of the amount of games that have been ruined by bad decisions.

But on this specific game... I actually give the ref credit for giving that penalty to us. Players get away with crap like that every week in this league. I also thought he fairly dished out yellows to QPR players for niggling fouls, and the fourth official had the balls to give an appropriate amount of stoppage time for persistent time wasting.

Having said that, we should have had another pen and Austin should have got a straight red. Both off the ball, so I guess they get a slight pass for those two.

But the ref didn't 'rob us' and Warnock didn't need to blow his lid to that extent. S*** defending cost us this one. 

• Like 5
On 8/11/2021 at 10:43 PM, DocMartin said:

He was shafted in the January 2017 transfer window and blew his top, making it very clear who was responsible for failing to deliver the pace or creativity he so badly wanted. I have never been so embarrassed at how our fans behaved at Stoke. I believe he would have gotten us straight back up with the parachute money I believe. I don’t say this in hindsight., but we’ll never know.

I do think Had we kept Karanka we would be in a better position now than we are, that monk/pulis disaster would never have happened.

On the other hand though he had to go, I sit behind the bench and the further we got through that season the more and more players/staff were sat next to me having been banished from the bench. I knew he’d lost it when friend and the physio ended up sat there lol.

• Like 3
On 8/12/2021 at 10:41 AM, Will said:

I think the title tells us a lot tbh. He's in charge of everything on the football side of things, Bausor and SG will deal with the financials and hopefully just tell Scott what his budgets are each year.

Thinking along these lines keeping warnock this season makes complete sense.

Part of Scott’s job will (hopefully) be to pick the next manager who fits in with the way he wants us to set up and the type of players he has in mind to bring in.

It would have been counter productive to give him a manager he hasn’t had any input on to work with for potentially 4 years. 
If things aren’t going great this season and the manager we decide on is available I can see us parting ways with warnock early anyway. But with warnocks track record there’s a good chance we will challenge for the play offs at least so who knows.

I still think Wilder is a huge possibility if he is still out of work, he ticks virtually every box for gibson.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

I do think Had we kept Karanka we would be in a better position now than we are, that monk/pulis disaster would never have happened.

On the other hand though he had to go, I sit behind the bench and the further we got through that season the more and more players/staff were sat next to me having been banished from the bench. I knew he’d lost it when friend and the physio ended up sat there lol.

Unfortunately I think his position was untenable and it was best for everyone that he left when he did, I don't think the squad would've had the same unity and respect for the manager as the previous few seasons if he'd stayed on. Karanka hasn't really pulled up trees since, but I'll always remember his tenure as the best I'd felt being a Boro fan for a decade!

17 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

Thinking along these lines keeping warnock this season makes complete sense.

Part of Scott’s job will (hopefully) be to pick the next manager who fits in with the way he wants us to set up and the type of players he has in mind to bring in.

It would have been counter productive to give him a manager he hasn’t had any input on to work with for potentially 4 years. 
If things aren’t going great this season and the manager we decide on is available I can see us parting ways with warnock early anyway. But with warnocks track record there’s a good chance we will challenge for the play offs at least so who knows.

I still think Wilder is a huge possibility if he is still out of work, he ticks virtually every box for gibson.

I agree completely. Warnock being here this season gives Scott 9/10 months to nail down every aspect of his plan to move forwards. I wouldn't want him coming in and having to pick a manager straight away, or worse like you say already be burdened with a manager on a long contract.

• Like 2

Re the referees

It is a common opinion (especially on here) that referees are crap. They’re responsible for making million pound decisions and could ultimately cost a manager his livelihood and they consistently get it wrong and a never held responsible for it. It’s no surprise they deflected NW comments rather than own up that their guy missed what would be anywhere else in society common assault. 
That being Said I wish Neil would tone it down a bit and do a lot more behind closed doors

6 hours ago, Downsouth said:

Pretty damning report from the Ref Support Charity aimed at NW in the Sun today.

Calling him an embarresment and clubs like Boro should take a long hard look at themselves for employing a disgraceful Manager!

Well what next I wonder?

I’ve been saying that for the whole time he’s been here. I find his antics on the sideline way over the top at times and fully deserved that they are calling him and the club out on that. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Uwe said:

Re the referees

It is a common opinion (especially on here) that referees are crap. They’re responsible for making million pound decisions and could ultimately cost a manager his livelihood and they consistently get it wrong and a never held responsible for it. It’s no surprise they deflected NW comments rather than own up that their guy missed what would be anywhere else in society common assault. 
That being Said I wish Neil would tone it down a bit and do a lot more behind closed doors

That’s a bit rich to me. No refs are ever responsible for a manager losing their job. It’s because the manager has been consistently poor for a longer period and not because a ref misses a 50/50 penalty or an off the ball incident. Warnock is just doing what he can to deflect focus from his own shortcomings. The defence lost us the game on Wednesday. Not the ref. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Borodane said:

That’s a bit rich to me. No refs are ever responsible for a manager losing their job. It’s because the manager has been consistently poor for a longer period and not because a ref misses a 50/50 penalty or an off the ball incident. Warnock is just doing what he can to deflect focus from his own shortcomings. The defence lost us the game on Wednesday. Not the ref. 

I think to be fair, what Uwe is talking about there is the fragile nature of individual circumstances in football and how important any particular one of those decisions can be. He's not said their decisions are the full cause of them losing their job, just that one bad decision from a ref can be the nail in the coffin, at least I think that's what he's saying.

And in the Championship, we're not often talking about one bad decision either, sometimes it's a game of Team 1 vs Team 2 vs Referee and yet this fella on TalkSport who's having a go at Warnock isn't acknowledging that at all, he's pushing for an answer about why he didn't deal with Charlie Austin on the pitch when I have little doubt in my mind at all that were Austin still on the pitch when he wanted to approach him, he absolutely would have done it on the pitch. Again, I must point out I think Warnock is wrong to try and pin anything about this game on the referee but it's hard to really defend referees when they just seem to do what they want and don't have a public dialogue with anybody.

One thing Warnock said after that too which I agreed with is that the point of football referees never getting mic'd up. We just get so little out of the referees. I really appreciate the input of former referees in live games we're starting to get, I appreciated the PL refs and Mike Riley doing some pre-season coverage of rule changes with Jamie Carragher. But I also loved this from new PL ref Jarred Gillet when he had his final A-League game so even if it's just for TV coverage, is there a good reason this shouldn't be in place? Is there a reason Rugby is a more reasonable case for mics?

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I think to be fair, what Uwe is talking about there is the fragile nature of individual circumstances in football and how important any particular one of those decisions can be. He's not said their decisions are the full cause of them losing their job, just that one bad decision from a ref can be the nail in the coffin, at least I think that's what he's saying.

And in the Championship, we're not often talking about one bad decision either, sometimes it's a game of Team 1 vs Team 2 vs Referee and yet this fella on TalkSport who's having a go at Warnock isn't acknowledging that at all, he's pushing for an answer about why he didn't deal with Charlie Austin on the pitch when I have little doubt in my mind at all that were Austin still on the pitch when he wanted to approach him, he absolutely would have done it on the pitch. Again, I must point out I think Warnock is wrong to try and pin anything about this game on the referee but it's hard to really defend referees when they just seem to do what they want and don't have a public dialogue with anybody.

One thing Warnock said after that too which I agreed with is that the point of football referees never getting mic'd up. We just get so little out of the referees. I really appreciate the input of former referees in live games we're starting to get, I appreciated the PL refs and Mike Riley doing some pre-season coverage of rule changes with Jamie Carragher. But I also loved this from new PL ref Jarred Gillet when he had his final A-League game so even if it's just for TV coverage, is there a good reason this shouldn't be in place? Is there a reason Rugby is a more reasonable case for mics?

I think that’s possibly the first time I’ve ever seen a human side to a referee. If that was the normal way of doing things the good referees would stand out but unfortunately they are few and far between so the useless ones would become even more obvious.

The referees should be put on bigger match day money than they are and held accountable by losing out on games if they mess up so that they are motivated to play the game as it happens instead of deciding in advance that they don’t like a team or manager. The incompetence is so glaringly obvious that wholesale changes are required.

6 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I think that’s possibly the first time I’ve ever seen a human side to a referee. If that was the normal way of doing things the good referees would stand out but unfortunately they are few and far between so the useless ones would become even more obvious.

The referees should be put on bigger match day money than they are and held accountable by losing out on games if they mess up so that they are motivated to play the game as it happens instead of deciding in advance that they don’t like a team or manager. The incompetence is so glaringly obvious that wholesale changes are required.

It is no coincidence that Jarred Gillet was the stand out Referee in the Championship by a country mile.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

It is no coincidence that Jarred Gillet was the stand out Referee in the Championship by a country mile.

True that 👍

• Downsouth changed the title to Warnock........is he worth it?