oneBoro Forum

Warnock........is he worth it?

Just now, atypical_boro said:

Really? How many of our players are proven in this division? What's this 'backing' he's had? We lost a lot of established players this summer and we brought in a similar amount, the vast majority of which were freebies on lower wages than the ones who left. Ikpeazu and Crooks didn't cost a lot and no one knows what Payero cost or even how good he is. If he did cost £6m as originally reported then you may have a point but didn't the club categorically deny that?

Are you actually just Neil Warnock? We know he reads this forum and you're so pro Warnock, still, despite the shower of *** we've had to watch so far this season. How can anyone that has watched us this year still defend him like you are, I don't understand it.

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been told he’s off

Easy enough to write patronising rubbish when you don’t actually support  the club? We are only Middlesbrough after all? Narrative seems to be ‘stop moaning, be grateful for what you have, with a bit

Revisionism and nonsense. 49 goals in a full season under Pulis, 68 and 63 in our seasons under Karanka. We might have been shot shy and moved the ball a bit ponderously under Karanka but we played ha

Posted Images

Just now, atypical_boro said:

I'm not saying anything other than that 7 points would get us back within a point or two of the play-offs. Do you disagree with that statement?

I have no idea because I have no idea how well the teams above us are going to do.

9 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Are you actually just Neil Warnock? We know he reads this forum and you're so pro Warnock, still, despite the shower of *** we've had to watch so far this season. How can anyone that has watched us this year still defend him like you are, I don't understand it.

Without getting angry and/or petty, can you at least try and justify this amazing “backing” you claim he’s had, based on the players who’ve left and come in this summer? At best he has a similar standard of squad at his disposal.

He's got a European striker who played in the Europa league last season 

A centre midfielder who played in the champions league last year 

One of the most highly rated Argentinean players. 

Crooks proven at this level 

Then all the others Lumley, Ameobi, Bamba, Peltier he has been backed 

He has Tav, Fry, Bola, Mcnair, Dijksteel to build around too.

Sooner this guy is gone the better. 

15 minutes ago, atypical_boro said:

Without getting angry and/or petty, can you at least try and justify this amazing “backing” you claim he’s had, based on the players who’ve left and come in this summer? At best he has a similar standard of squad at his disposal.

Well we kept Fry & Tav first, so that's two huge bits of business.

He's got a CM that was playing Champions League football vs Chelsea last year, with great pedigree. He's got a striker that on early view I would guess is probably one of the most technically gifted in the league. (I know it's not important but he's actually the 2nd best striker in the league behind Mitrovic in Fifa 22 I think, so that shows how highly he's still rated). 

He got the targetman he wanted, he got Crooks who he also wanted who has been (mostly) excellent. 

Plus Payero, an Argentinian U23 international that from the outside he looks like he is horribly mismanaging. 

He's got Jones; a youth product that gives him an actual winger option that he wouldn't have even played had his hand not been forced by his signing (Ameobi) getting crocked immediately.

Not to mention we also tried to spend up to 8m on Muniz.

All this in a covid affected year where income has been severely lowered & you're crazy if you are trying to argue he hasn't been backed amazingly considering all the circumstances.

In absolutely no world can you consider this years squad "of similar standard". You just need to look at our CM options to see that isn't true.

One thing I don't understand is Warnock said last night after the game about Bamba that he thought he was finished. 

If that's the case, why are you signing him in the first place? Secondly why is/was he our third choice CB and why are you picking him?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Well we kept Fry & Tav first, so that's two huge bits of business.

He's got a CM that was playing Champions League football vs Chelsea last year, with great pedigree. He's got a striker that on early view I would guess is probably one of the most technically gifted in the league. (I know it's not important but he's actually the 2nd best striker in the league behind Mitrovic in Fifa 22 I think, so that shows how highly he's still rated). 

He got the targetman he wanted, he got Crooks who he also wanted who has been (mostly) excellent. 

Plus Payero, an Argentinian U23 international that from the outside he looks like he is horribly mismanaging. 

Not to mention we also tried to spend up to 8m on Muniz.

All this in a covid affected year where income has been severely lowered & you're crazy if you are trying to argue he hasn't been backed amazingly considering all the circumstances.

In absolutely no world can you consider this years squad "of similar standard". You just need to look at our CM options to see that isn't true.

Well I agree we’ve improved at CM. I don’t think any other area of the pitch has been significantly improved and some have weakened. 

we did get a couple of players he wanted upfront t within the wage structure, and lost two other fairy proven Championship strikers.

Don’t see how not selling players counts as “backing” as such, it’s certainly not an improvement obviously. I also don’t see how trying to sign certain players but failing should be classed as backing either. Blooding Jones (his choice) and getting him playing is something to commend him for.

time will tell if he’s managing Payero correctly, far too early to say.

you’ve added the “in the circumstances” bit, and whilst I wouldn’t disagree when you add that caveat, the idea that’s he been backed so well that we should be sitting back and watching us soar back into the PL at a canter is absurd in my opinion. The best I ever hoped for was probably 5th-6th place and win the play-offs. Which is still a genuine possibility and nowhere near as out of the question as some folk seem to be suggesting. Yeah we’ve started badly, form fluctuates, same with almost all sides in this division.

12 minutes ago, boksicdink said:

One thing I don't understand is Warnock said last night after the game about Bamba that he thought he was finished. 

If that's the case, why are you signing him in the first place? Secondly why is/was he our third choice CB and why are you picking him?

I presume he meant that he thought at 36 year old, having recently beaten cancer, he'd not be able to carry on professionally anymore.

He let Bamba come here to train as a favour to him, and was impressed by what he saw after he arrived and decided to offer him a contract.

I doubt he thought he was finished when he offered him the deal, let's not forget he was here for a good few weeks before he signed a contract.

Edited by TeaCider24
  • Like 1
24 minutes ago, atypical_boro said:

Well I agree we’ve improved at CM. I don’t think any other area of the pitch has been significantly improved and some have weakened. 

we did get a couple of players he wanted upfront t within the wage structure, and lost two other fairy proven Championship strikers.

Don’t see how not selling players counts as “backing” as such, it’s certainly not an improvement obviously. I also don’t see how trying to sign certain players but failing should be classed as backing either. Blooding Jones (his choice) and getting him playing is something to commend him for.

time will tell if he’s managing Payero correctly, far too early to say.

you’ve added the “in the circumstances” bit, and whilst I wouldn’t disagree when you add that caveat, the idea that’s he been backed so well that we should be sitting back and watching us soar back into the PL at a canter is absurd in my opinion. The best I ever hoped for was probably 5th-6th place and win the play-offs. Which is still a genuine possibility and nowhere near as out of the question as some folk seem to be suggesting. Yeah we’ve started badly, form fluctuates, same with almost all sides in this division.

The only place that I don't think has improved is CB and that's mostly because it is basically exactly the same. Think we've improved in CM & up top. 

Not to mention where we are lacking depth (full back spots) are both entirely on him for sanctioning loan moves without being able to get anyone else in. That's on him.

And he didn't choose to blood Jones, he was forced into it by injuries, had Ameobi not been hurt Jones would be up in the Scottish championship again most likely.

I'm not saying we should be sitting back and watching us soar into the PL. This division is tough. However, I do expect to be able to sit back and watch a team actually try and play football rather than whatever the *** it is Warnock makes me watch most games. That Blackpool 2nd half was embarrassing & by all accounts Reading was just as bad. 

That is all on NW. I'll revisit this in a month or so when we've lost to Hull & Peterborough.

As far as backing goes, look around the rest of the league, how active everyone else was and tell me NW hasn't been backed.

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I presume he meant that he thought at 36 year old, having recently beaten cancer, he'd not be able to carry on professionally anymore.

He let Bamba come here to train as a favour to him, and was impressed by what he saw after he arrived and decided to offer him a contract.

I doubt he thought he was finished when he offered him the deal, let's not forget he was here for a good few weeks before he signed a contract.

Yeah that's a fair point about him training for a few weeks, I guess out of context he could have meant finished professionally due to cancer and his age. 

Don't get me wrong it's a great story for Bamba and i'm happy for him but the way he said it just made me think twice. I guess it all depends on when Warnock was referring to. 

Just now, boksicdink said:

Yeah that's a fair point about him training for a few weeks, I guess out of context he could have meant finished professionally due to cancer and his age. 

Don't get me wrong it's a great story for Bamba and i'm happy for him but the way he said it just made me think twice. I guess it all depends on when Warnock was referring to. 

He was talking about the end of their Cardiff time together when he spoke about him being finished. Said after just a few days training with us they all collectively realised this was a new Sol.

1 hour ago, atypical_boro said:

I'm not saying anything other than that 7 points would get us back within a point or two of the play-offs. Do you disagree with that statement?

That’s assuming others loose games. I don’t think a win and two draws against lower clubs is ambitious if it was what should we hope for against better clubs? 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Brunners said:

I have no idea because I have no idea how well the teams above us are going to do.

At a rate of 2.3 based on 7 points from 3 games we would gain 1.5 points on Stoke (example) as they avg 1.8 per game. So over the 3 games, no it won’t do much unless numerous clubs above us suddenly all go on bad runs. 

Edited by sanddancer
  • Like 1
28 minutes ago, Brunners said:

He was talking about the end of their Cardiff time together when he spoke about him being finished. Said after just a few days training with us they all collectively realised this was a new Sol.

OK, thanks for the clarification - it's amazing how quotes and comments can get framed to mean something else, it was being made out that he was just doing Bamba a favour by signing him. 

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, boksicdink said:

OK, thanks for the clarification - it's amazing how quotes and comments can get framed to mean something else, it was being made out that he was just doing Bamba a favour by signing him. 

No, he was doing Bamba a favour by letting him get fit with the squad, he didn't think he'd ever be fit enough to play again. He said he thought he'd actually end up retiring and doing Sky Sports instead.

• Like 2
  • Downsouth changed the title to Warnock........is he worth it?