Jump to content
oneBoro Forum

Warnock........is he worth it?


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Brunners said:

The only place that I don't think has improved is CB and that's mostly because it is basically exactly the same. Think we've improved in CM & up top. 

Not to mention where we are lacking depth (full back spots) are both entirely on him for sanctioning loan moves without being able to get anyone else in. That's on him.

And he didn't choose to blood Jones, he was forced into it by injuries, had Ameobi not been hurt Jones would be up in the Scottish championship again most likely.

I'm not saying we should be sitting back and watching us soar into the PL. This division is tough. However, I do expect to be able to sit back and watch a team actually try and play football rather than whatever the *** it is Warnock makes me watch most games. That Blackpool 2nd half was embarrassing & by all accounts Reading was just as bad. 

That is all on NW. I'll revisit this in a month or so when we've lost to Hull & Peterborough.

 

As far as backing goes, look around the rest of the league, how active everyone else was and tell me NW hasn't been backed.

I’m not saying He hasn’t been backed, but your choice of words implied he’d been backed so well that we should expect promotion. Our transfer window wasn’t one where we especially strengthened the squad, we mostly just replaced what we had with players who are by no means too good for this league.

 

I don’t understand why you won’t give him credit for giving Jones his debut. He chose to play him when Ameobi was injured, he could have gone with other options. And besides, whose to say another manager would have got any kind of a tune out of him. We don’t know because so far in his career he’s never played for anyone else at this level. I’d say the majority of professional footballers get their first team break because of injuries to more established players - that’s how it works.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been told he’s off

Easy enough to write patronising rubbish when you don’t actually support  the club? We are only Middlesbrough after all? Narrative seems to be ‘stop moaning, be grateful for what you have, with a bit

Revisionism and nonsense. 49 goals in a full season under Pulis, 68 and 63 in our seasons under Karanka. We might have been shot shy and moved the ball a bit ponderously under Karanka but we played ha

Posted Images

4 hours ago, sanddancer said:

At a rate of 2.3 based on 7 points from 3 games we would gain 1.5 points on Stoke (example) as they avg 1.8 per game. So over the 3 games, no it won’t do much unless numerous clubs above us suddenly all go on bad runs. 

So you don’t think we’ll close the 4 point gap if we only drop 2 points from the next 9?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, atypical_boro said:

I’d say the majority of professional footballers get their first team break because of injuries to more established players - that’s how it works.

You're not wrong that it often is how it works... doesn't make it any less dumb in my eyes and certainly doesn't mean I'm happy about it when we do it either.

What's the point of having an academy at all if you only plan on playing the best graduates if they're lucky? Clubs like ourselves should be trying our hardest to make the best of our youth investments, not constantly signing first team players to fill their place regardless of their quality. We send our players out on loans we don't care about then either moan they haven't played or moan that the level they played at wasn't good enough.

It's all the more frustrating when it's Warnock moaning about it because he's literally said the opposite of a young player he's signed in Olusanya. This lad has come in and Warnock says these players will play better surrounded by better players but also says if Ameobi was fit, Jones would have been back at Queen of the South. It's so dumb.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2021 at 11:34 PM, atypical_boro said:

Well they were vindicated tonight. If we can sneak 4 points from the next 6 we’ll likely be firmly back in the play-off picture with some momentum. We should be getting behind them not precariously and conservatively celebrating a win because we’re worried it means the manager won’t get sacked.

One swallow does not make a summer. We played very well against Sheffield United but that certainly wasn’t the case three days before. And until yesterday the season has been somewhat less than inspiring. IF we can continue this form – and that’s a big if at present – then a lot of us may well revise our opinions of Warnock. That’s our prerogative, right? And as for getting behind the team, supporting the team and disliking the manager are not mutually exclusive.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Oslo_Syd said:

One swallow does not make a summer. We played very well against Sheffield United but that certainly wasn’t the case three days before. And until yesterday the season has been somewhat less than inspiring. IF we can continue this form – and that’s a big if at present – then a lot of us may well revise our opinions of Warnock. That’s our prerogative, right? And as for getting behind the team, supporting the team and disliking the manager are not mutually exclusive.

I just mean the tactics were vindicated for that particular match.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Oslo_Syd said:

One swallow does not make a summer. We played very well against Sheffield United but that certainly wasn’t the case three days before. And until yesterday the season has been somewhat less than inspiring. IF we can continue this form – and that’s a big if at present – then a lot of us may well revise our opinions of Warnock. That’s our prerogative, right? And as for getting behind the team, supporting the team and disliking the manager are not mutually exclusive.

Very well put.

People often accuse fans of being fickle, so changing our minds on the basis of one decent match is surely just proving them right? 😉

As you say, if this is the start of a period of decent form and results, then all well and good. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, atypical_boro said:

So you don’t think we’ll close the 4 point gap if we only drop 2 points from the next 9?

No. Unless all those above start dropping points. As I explained, if they, above, continue there current form and we manage to dramatically improve our points we could gain 1.5 points on the pack above us. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

You're not wrong that it often is how it works... doesn't make it any less dumb in my eyes and certainly doesn't mean I'm happy about it when we do it either.

What's the point of having an academy at all if you only plan on playing the best graduates if they're lucky? Clubs like ourselves should be trying our hardest to make the best of our youth investments, not constantly signing first team players to fill their place regardless of their quality. We send our players out on loans we don't care about then either moan they haven't played or moan that the level they played at wasn't good enough.

It's all the more frustrating when it's Warnock moaning about it because he's literally said the opposite of a young player he's signed in Olusanya. This lad has come in and Warnock says these players will play better surrounded by better players but also says if Ameobi was fit, Jones would have been back at Queen of the South. It's so dumb.

I agree, you hit the nail squarely on the head. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Hull game is going be a litmus paper test on how the season may pan out. The SU result was no fluke as we played like a team that had played together for months. If we can play as well against Hull, there may be green shoots starting to appear. Fingers crossed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Rat catcher said:

The Hull game is going be a litmus paper test on how the season may pan out. The SU result was no fluke as we played like a team that had played together for months. If we can play as well against Hull, there may be green shoots starting to appear. Fingers crossed.

I know what you are saying but I disagree, I really think Hull are that bad that it won't be a true reflection on how the season will pan out, but if we win and it's 2/2 it can only help generate momentum. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, boksicdink said:

I know what you are saying but I disagree, I really think Hull are that bad that it won't be a true reflection on how the season will pan out, but if we win and it's 2/2 it can only help generate momentum. 

Screenshot_20210930-094654_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9b902f0f6714791542564ab30f7f55c9.jpg

 

I cannot remember a worse team beating us than that day, they played awful and somehow won 2-1.

This Hull side is better than that one.

I still think we should be winning, but these are exactly the sort of games we tend to struggle in.

 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, atypical_boro said:

I’m not saying He hasn’t been backed, but your choice of words implied he’d been backed so well that we should expect promotion. Our transfer window wasn’t one where we especially strengthened the squad, we mostly just replaced what we had with players who are by no means too good for this league.

 

I don’t understand why you won’t give him credit for giving Jones his debut. He chose to play him when Ameobi was injured, he could have gone with other options. And besides, whose to say another manager would have got any kind of a tune out of him. We don’t know because so far in his career he’s never played for anyone else at this level. I’d say the majority of professional footballers get their first team break because of injuries to more established players - that’s how it works.

Because I believe he has! We did strengthen the squad in the window, by and large the replacements all have better pedigree than the players they are replacing, we just aren't seeing that because of our shitty manager.

And I won't give him credit for Jones because he was forced into it. What other options did he really have at that point? Also I agree with @wilsoncgpthat just because that's how it works, doesn't make it right. 

57 minutes ago, Rat catcher said:

The Hull game is going be a litmus paper test on how the season may pan out. The SU result was no fluke as we played like a team that had played together for months. If we can play as well against Hull, there may be green shoots starting to appear. Fingers crossed.

This is the problem, it may well have been a fluke. If we come out against Hull and play like we did vs Reading or the second half of Blackpool, then the SU result was 100% a fluke.

8 hours ago, atypical_boro said:

I just mean the tactics were vindicated for that particular match.

Were they though? Sheff Utd cut us apart pretty easily multiple times & bar some bad finishing probably should have scored a goal or two.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Screenshot_20210930-094654_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9b902f0f6714791542564ab30f7f55c9.jpg

 

I cannot remember a worse team beating us than that day, they played awful and somehow won 2-1.

This Hull side is better than that one.

I still think we should be winning, but these are exactly the sort of games we tend to struggle in.

 

Yeah that one was bad game - probably one of the worst Boro performances i've seen. 

I dont think lightning will be striking twice though...famous last words. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, boksicdink said:

Yeah that one was bad game - probably one of the worst Boro performances i've seen. 

I dont think lightning will be striking twice though...famous last words. 

Wasn't the Hull game before that the Marvin red card bottle job game? I don't think we have a great recent history vs Hull. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Downsouth changed the title to Warnock........is he worth it?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...