oneBoro Forum

Warnock........is he worth it?

2 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

The thing with Warnock is we know for a fact he is literally just buying us time. Buying us time to get through the worst effects of covid, ffp, and our horrific squad-building of the last 5 years, so that when the new guy comes in he has a bit of a fresh slate (you'd hope).

But it's so hard to get excited about football when you know, the manager knows, all the players know, that it's just a stopgap season.

I don't expect or demand promotion (or even a promotion fight) I just want to feel like I'm entertained, even 50% of the time, when I watch us play.

You mean the 1 shot per game isn't doing it for you? How dare you have such demanding standards.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been told he’s off

Easy enough to write patronising rubbish when you don’t actually support  the club? We are only Middlesbrough after all? Narrative seems to be ‘stop moaning, be grateful for what you have, with a bit

Revisionism and nonsense. 49 goals in a full season under Pulis, 68 and 63 in our seasons under Karanka. We might have been shot shy and moved the ball a bit ponderously under Karanka but we played ha

Posted Images

Just now, Smokedsalmon said:

The thing with Warnock is we know for a fact he is literally just buying us time. Buying us time to get through the worst effects of covid, ffp, and our horrific squad-building of the last 5 years, so that when the new guy comes in he has a bit of a fresh slate (you'd hope).

But it's so hard to get excited about football when you know, the manager knows, all the players know, that it's just a stopgap season.

I don't expect or demand promotion (or even a promotion fight) I just want to feel like I'm entertained, even 50% of the time, when I watch us play.

If you look at our squad it's pretty youthful with many of our better players either just starting their career or approaching their peak, a season isn't lost as long as we're improving these lads and getting them some experience.

• Like 2
Just now, Dan1234 said:

You mean the 1 shot per game isn't doing it for you? How dare you have such demanding standards.

Sadly not, no. My girlfriend is furious the season has started again. Fears my mood every Saturday now.

• Haha 2
8 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

If you're honest though you are not going to be truly entertained if we are not in a promotion/play-off fight. Lovely, exciting football doesn't co-habit with finishing in mid-table mediocrity.

I agree that we haven't significantly improved the squad as yet but a) still time and b) we don't actually know how good the new players are yet, some of them may even be better than they were before (some may be worse) and no one has the faintest idea about Payero.

I back Warnock to get a bit more out of them than most other managers would, and he's had another summer to get the dressing room to buy into his short-term goals.

I honestly do think we will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season, even if we don't actually get up. This season may not be about sure-fire promotion (as it isn't for most clubs) but it isn't a 'write off'. We're just in the lottery.

3 minutes ago, atypical_boro said:

If you're honest though you are not going to be truly entertained if we are not in a promotion/play-off fight. Lovely, exciting football doesn't co-habit with finishing in mid-table mediocrity.

I agree that we haven't significantly improved the squad as yet but a) still time and b) we don't actually know how good the new players are yet, some of them may even be better than they were before (some may be worse) and no one has the faintest idea about Payero.

I back Warnock to get a bit more out of them than most other managers would, and he's had another year to get the dressing room to buy into his short-term goals.

I honestly do think we will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season, even if we don't actually get up. This season may not be about long-term planning but it isn't a 'write off'.

I was honestly very optimistic going into the Fulham game. I thought we had brought in some key players to enable Warnock's style of football to be more effective.

Truth is, we were horrific for 75 minutes. It was exactly the same as last season. No attacking patterns of play or intent. Hit and hope. That's what I just cannot forgive. He's not coaching them offensively, and if he is, it isn't working.

(And no, I don't believe the fact that we fluked a 1-1 draw from our 1 shot on target is cause for celebration or suggests Warnock was right with how he set up. He got lucky.)

7 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

Spot on, I feel like Warnock was brought in to keep us afloat in this league and just keep things ticking along during a really difficult period. 

I'm just hoping that further along the line things will become a bit more ambitious and entertaining. 

I guess its like letting someone look after your house while you spend a few years in prison. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The squad isn't complete yet we are 2 games into the marathon. Warnock is trying his best, the clubs appointed a director of football with a proven track record and Payero shows we are thinking outside the box. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Spot on, I feel like Warnock was brought in to keep us afloat in this league and just keep things ticking along during a really difficult period. 

I'm just hoping that further along the line things will become a bit more ambitious and entertaining. 

I guess its like letting someone look after your house while you spend a few years in prison. 

Which in a huge coincidence is why I've not been posting here in the past six months 🤠

• Haha 3
12 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

I was honestly very optimistic going into the Fulham game. I thought we had brought in some key players to enable Warnock's style of football to be more effective.

Truth is, we were horrific for 75 minutes. It was exactly the same as last season. No attacking patterns of play or intent. Hit and hope. That's what I just cannot forgive. He's not coaching them offensively, and if he is, it isn't working.

(And no, I don't believe the fact that we fluked a 1-1 draw from our 1 shot on target is cause for celebration or suggests Warnock was right with how he set up. He got lucky.)

They've just come down, and have brought in players like Harry Wilson over the summer. I expected us to be second best, and maybe sneak a draw, which is exactly what happened. I don't think getting an away point in one of your hardest fixtures is ineffective personally, though I admit I was hardly enthralled at our performance and I wasn't popping champagne about it. There's rarely cause to do that after a Championship match.

You can call it a fluke if you like but you make your own luck. We weren't even far away from sneaking all 3 points.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

The squad isn't complete yet we are 2 games into the marathon. Warnock is trying his best, the clubs appointed a director of football with a proven track record and Payero shows we are thinking outside the box. 

It is nice to see the club appear to be laying some foundations, but it will take some time before we see any real changes on the pitch. Especially given the club's limited resources and how Warnock likes his teams to play.

But as they say, Rome wasn't built in a day...

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, atypical_boro said:

They've just come down, and have brought in players like Harry Wilson over the summer. I expected us to be second best, and maybe sneak a draw, which is exactly what happened. I don't think getting an away point in one of your hardest fixtures is ineffective personally, though I admit I was hardly enthralled at our performance and I wasn't popping champagne about it. There's rarely cause to do that after a Championship match.

You can call it a fluke if you like but you make your own luck. We weren't even far away from sneaking all 3 points.

More or less my thoughts.

Smokedsalmon has a point that attack-wise were were terrible for 70-odd minutes. But after we made our subs we looked so much better...also made Fulham look pretty ordinary.

In that sense it was frustrating and annoying that we didn't set up like that from the outset.

But I think most of us would have happily taken a draw, so it worked out okay in the end. 

Its early days and Warnock may start to change things, but at the moment it looks as though his default game plan is the same as last season.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, mendieta420 said:

Just got a point at Fulham and we're talking about getting rid of the manager. It's actually embarrassing to be associated with fans this fickle.  

I'm not anyone is wanting to get rid of the manager that didn't already want rid of the manager, so I don't think it's fickle. No one will have changed their mind based on 2 games imo. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

More or less my thoughts.

Smokedsalmon has a point that attack-wise were were terrible for 70-odd minutes. But after we made our subs we looked so much better...also made Fulham look pretty ordinary.

In that sense it was frustrating and annoying that we didn't set up like that from the outset.

But I think most of us would have happily taken a draw, so it worked out okay in the end. 

Its early days and Warnock may start to change things, but at the moment it looks as though his default game plan is the same as last season.

TBF if we'd set up like that for 90 minutes I think we'd have been murdered.

I would hope we will this Saturday at home against weaker side though.

• Like 2
  • Downsouth changed the title to Warnock........is he worth it?