oneBoro Forum

Boro v Bristol City 2-1 (Ikpeazu, Crook)

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

🙌 FOOTBALL!! 🙌 Firstly, a confession.  I was a bit worried about going back to games, not because of Covid (although yeah because of Covid!) but because I wasn't sure if I'd be able to reconnect

Some ITK information from my Mum who’s at Bristol airport waiting to go on holiday 😉 

Ikpeazu did more in 45 min than Britt did in a season. The guy is a monster and will get better as the season progresses. 

Posted Images

I was in the Legends Lounge for the first time today... My god, Bernie Slaven talks a load of simple, appealing to the masses, populist rubbish. Pre-game he was waffling on dismissing Kieran Scott’s potential future influence with some rambling nonsense about how, whilst he helped discover Pukki, his role is pretty pointless as he still needs to go to Bauser, who then has to report to Gibson before any signings are signed off. He then said how he personally doesn’t rate Ikpeazu particularly highly.

Then post-game, he was recapping the game and didn’t realise that Ikpeazu assisted the winning goal; instead he thought that we substituted Ikpeazu off for Payero before the winner, and then we got lucky with the winning goal as we were on the back-foot after supposedly substituting Ikpeazu off. 

Most concerningly, Bernie Slaven is teetotal so that diminishes my opinion of him even further as he wasn’t just drunk, but an idiot. With morons like that being guest speakers then we don’t have much chance of insightful conversation.

Edited by p_mards
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, p_mards said:

I was in the Legends Lounge for the first time today... My god, Bernie Slaven talks a load of simple, appealing to the masses, populist rubbish. Pre-game he was waffling on dismissing Kieran Scott’s potential future influence with some rambling nonsense about how, whilst he helped discover Pukki, his role is pretty pointless as he still needs to go to Bauser, who then has to report to Gibson before any signings are signed off. He then said how he personally doesn’t rate Ikpeazu particularly highly.

Then post-game, he was recapping the game and didn’t realise that Ikpeazu assisted the winning goal; instead he thought that we substituted Ikpeazu off for Payero before the winner, and then we got lucky with the winning goal as we were on the back-foot after supposedly substituting Ikpeazu off. 

Most concerningly, Bernie Slaven is teetotal so that diminishes my opinion of him even further. With morons like that being guest speakers then we don’t have much chance of insightful conversation.

bernie bernie lol. i bet his ol buddy up top ian baird would love uche 

I'm late as usual but just wanted to say I'm happy that Boro won and from what I've read so for they weren't actually terrible 😄 even if they were maybe hanging on at the end, and nice to see the new signings chipping in.

I'll read more of this thread tomorrow and I hope my illusions aren't shattered 😄

3 hours ago, LBP said:

Thought Ikpeazu, Crooks and Jones were outstanding 

Howson and Dijksteel solid also 

We're not far off a play off team, just competition up front and a winger either side for me 

Lets hop it lasts 😄

36 minutes ago, p_mards said:

Most concerningly, Bernie Slaven is teetotal so that diminishes my opinion of him even further after as he wasn’t just drunk, but an idiot. With morons like that being guest speakers then we don’t have much chance of insightful conversation.

Use to enjoy going in there a lot over a few years

• Like 1

Can anyone shed some light on the lyrics to the Payero song, I heard it at Blackpool midweek and again today in the South stand, its to the tune of Si Senor, the Liverpool Firmino song 🎵  Not that it matters to much as the lad won't understand a word atm!

Days like today make you realise that we don't do things the easy way, but I don't think it could be classed as hoofball..  for a while it was like watching the return of Stuart Ripley..  Get the ball, beat your man and put it in the middle. No fancy stuff, just keep to the basics ..   was also very nice to see a striker break sweat and earn his pay. Djed looked a different player from last season and although for a few minutes they let City get back in, I think that we deserved the three points and there could a decent understanding already beginning between Crooks and Uche. Roll on Wednesday..  more of the same please

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, TeessiderJR said:

Can anyone shed some light on the lyrics to the Payero song, I heard it at Blackpool midweek and again today in the South stand, its to the tune of Si Senor, the Liverpool Firmino song 🎵  Not that it matters to much as the lad won't understand a word atm!

Possibly this:

https://twitter.com/kaiirwinMFC/status/1421551915607937034?s=19

• Thanks 1

Just a quick note on Spence yesterday, I haven’t been his biggest fan by any stretch. He seemed to get a lot of praise yesterday which is fine but I still think he can give so much more. 

I’ve often criticised his work rate and concentration in a game, but over the last 2 it’s been very clear he is working harder than ever especially defensively so big credit to him for that. 

It’s going forward where I think he can do so much more, especially now he’s playing RW more than RB. Jones gave everything I want from Spence yesterday, face your man up and try to beat him. Djed always seems to face the defender up and turn 180* and pass backwards to the defence.

For me he was the weakest of the front 4 yesterday not due to a lack of effort, but his intent when attacking. Hopefully he can keep up his higher work rate and add to his attacking output 

• Like 4

I think Spence's weakness there is that he's not really a winger or a forward. When he made that run through for his left-footed effort, I don't think anybody in the world expected him to score. The fact he hit the target at all was more than I expected to be honest. But you still applaud him because of the effort he put in to get into those positions yesterday in addition to that shot, to have the header on goal, to just miss the cross from Jones that Ikpeazu put in.

He is unique in respect of defensive duties when he's got his head screwed on. He's quick so he can get out and pull opposition full-backs away on a counter but he's also got that bit of defensive nous too, almost to act as a 2nd full-back where necessary in this team, defending overloads.

Watching him yesterday does make me believe that he can do a job in that position albeit a limited one but he has to keep at it, stay focused, keep putting in the hard work and he will get the respect from the stands. Who knows, maybe last season that's what he was missing, a bit of encouragement from fans to get him going. God forbid he was reading some of the stuff on here last year but we and him have to put that all behind us and move on if we want to see the young man fulfil any of his potential. 👍

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I think Spence's weakness there is that he's not really a winger or a forward

I think that's the key to the problem with Spence. To give him his due, he seems to have taken some big steps in his football intelligence and his workrate over the summer. He is also getting into scoring positions; it's just that he doesn't know what to do when he gets there; a bit like a dog chasing a parked car. That said, he's a year younger than Isiah Jones so he could still develop that side of his game. 

His best position seems to be wing back or an attacking full back and he does seem to have improved his defensive play. He is in competition with Dijksteel. I think Spence is a better option than Dijksteel as an attacking wing back but Dijksteel is far stronger defensively. While I would have been happy to see Spence leave for a decent fee in the summer, now I feel that he has a lot to offer, especially as cover anywhere down the right hand side.

• Like 2

I think Spence is never going to be a starting Right Back whilst Warnock is here. He might prove to be a great option there if we implement a more progressive manager and style of play, similar to how Max Aarons plays for Norwich.

You can tell he's used to attacking from fullback where you're often afforded a lot more room to run into and usually a few easy passing options ahead of you, he's just not quite got the feel of a natural winger. If he does end up being our first choice RB down the line, any sort of game time is at least good for his development.

• Like 1