oneBoro Forum

Boro v QPR 2-3( Ikpeazu, Crooks)

10 minutes ago, FinallyRegistered said:

I don’t disagree with man-marking a particular player and using one of the back 5 to track them, but not a full man-marking system. It’s far too easy to exploit with runners from deep. Willock had the freedom of the park and no one was closing him down. Who was his man? 

Probably Howson.

Yesterday was a disasterclass performance from him. A genuine 0/10.

Directly at fault for 1 goal, out of position for the other 2, gave the ball away frequently, rarely won it back. Unfortunately he has a northern accent and is a "good pro" so Warnock will play him every week.

• Like 2
  • Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Speaks volumes when a 21 year old kid with 3 senior appearances is absolutely carrying this team at the minute 

He reminds of Downing when he first broke into the team.  I mean different kinds of players of course, different preferred feet as well for that matter, but that instinct to attack his man whenever he

I have just read on another Boro forum that four QPR fans were attacked outside of the ground at full time. Two dads with their their ten year old boys were kicked and  punched to the ground by these

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, FinallyRegistered said:

I don’t disagree with man-marking a particular player and using one of the back 5 to track them, but not a full man-marking system. It’s far too easy to exploit with runners from deep. Willock had the freedom of the park and no one was closing him down. Who was his man? 

It's baffling how inept we were. It was obvious to everyone watching the game that Willock was the danger man - as you say, how did he have so much freedom even when they were a man down? He's not Mbappe ffs, just track him.

Even if Warnock and the coaches don't spot it, someone on the pitch should take responsibility. Howson, McNair, Hall and Fry are all experienced enough to know better. 

Edited by SouthernSmoggie
  • Like 2

Thought Lumley could’ve done better for both the 2nd and the 3rd especially the 2nd which I thought was really poor from that angle. That’s not excusing the poor defending that led to the chances mind.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Humpty said:

Thought Lumley could’ve done better for both the 2nd and the 3rd especially the 2nd which I thought was really poor from that angle. That’s not excusing the poor defending that led to the chances mind.

Looked at the 3rd goal a few times now, Lumley has Fry in his line of vision and just my opinion I thought it was just a clever finish, the 2nd well no argument poor keeping. 

Whilst we're only three league games into the season and have had a mixed bag of performances, especially the absolutely terrible second half performance yesterday, I'm still feeling pretty positive. We have a good Championship manager, a pretty good - albeit thin - squad, and a very good team spirit so we're going to do pretty well at a minimum this season. 4 point from 3 games not too bad going in our circumstances, especially give our injuries to Tavernier and Watmore. Once they're back and we get a few more signings in then things will feel a lot more promising. This season doesn't give me any concerns in terms of relegation, and I can see us being able to make a push at the play-offs.

There have been some huge green shoots in the few games this season, most notably Isaiah Jones' excellent performances. If we didn't have him to be our spark then I dread to imagine how poor our points return and performances would have been. We need to get his contract extended as soon as possible. Spence has shown some very good improvements in the past two home games. His concentration, anticipation and work rate seems so much better, as he hasn't as passive as he was for long spells beforehand. Hopefully he maintains it. They key test will be after the transfer window closes as he could be aware that we're happy to sell him if a big club offers a good fee for him - so could be playing for a move. Crooks looks an excellent signing. Same with Ikpeazu. Lumley's obviously a bit of a concern in goal, but there are players like Howson and Fry who were a lot more culpable for the goals we conceded yesterday. It's still not all that bad on the whole though.

Even if we don't get promoted this season, I'm comforted that we have the light at the end the tunnel of Kieran Scott bringing in a new, forward-thinking regime next season. He must look at our squad see a very good core to build around as we have a lot of good players of a good age to either build around or even cash in on for the right price and use the money to strengthen the team. There's the more experienced first team players of a good Championship quality like Dijksteel, Fry, McNair, Bola, Tavernier, Payero (once he settles), Watmore, Crooks and Ikpeazu. Then there's the inexperienced likes of Jones, Spence, Wood, Coburn and Brynn. 

Edited by p_mards
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, p_mards said:

Whilst we're only three league games into the season and have had a mixed bag of performances, especially the absolutely terrible second half performance yesterday, I'm still feeling pretty positive. We have a good Championship manager, a pretty good - albeit thin - squad, and a very good team spirit so we're going to do pretty well at a minimum this season. 4 point from 3 games not too bad going in our circumstances, especially give our injuries to Tavernier and Watmore. Once they're back andwe get a few more signings in then things will feel a lot more promising. This season doesn't give me any concerns in terms of relegation, and I can see us being able to make a push at the play-offs.

There have been some huge green shoots in the few games this season, most notably Isaiah Jones' excellent performances. If we didn't have him to be our spark then I dread to imagine how poor our points return and performances would have been. We need to get his contract extended as soon as possible. Spence has shown some very good improvements in the past two home games. His concentration, anticipation and work rate seems so much better, as he hasn't as passive as he was for long spells beforehand. Hopefully he maintains it. They key test will be after the transfer window closes as he could be aware that we're happy to sell him if a big club offers a good fee for him - so could be playing for a move. Crooks looks an excellent signing. Same with Ikpeazu. Lumley's obviously a bit of a concern in goal, but there are players like Howson and Fry who were a lot more culpable for the goals we conceded yesterday. It's still not all that bad on the whole though.

Even if we don't get promoted this season, I'm comforted that we have the light at the end the tunnel of Kieran Scott bringing in a new, forward-thinking regime next season. He must look at our squad see a very good core to build around as we have a lot of good players of a good age to either build around or even cash in on for the right price and use the money to strengthen the team. There's the more experienced first team players of a good Championship quality like Dijksteel, Fry, McNair, Bola, Tavernier, Payero (once he settles), Watmore, Crooks and Ikpeazu. Then there's the inexperienced likes of Jones, Spence, Wood, Coburn and Brynn. 

Good post. Last night is a setback but it was a good game and we’d have beaten plenty of other sides last night. QPR will be up there at the end of the season.

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, p_mards said:

Whilst we're only three league games into the season and have had a mixed bag of performances, especially the absolutely terrible second half performance yesterday, I'm still feeling pretty positive. We have a good Championship manager, a pretty good - albeit thin - squad, and a very good team spirit so we're going to do pretty well at a minimum this season. 4 point from 3 games not too bad going in our circumstances, especially give our injuries to Tavernier and Watmore. Once they're back and we get a few more signings in then things will feel a lot more promising. This season doesn't give me any concerns in terms of relegation, and I can see us being able to make a push at the play-offs.

My heart agrees with all that but my head says that without Isiah Jones we would be looking up the table at Derby.

I can see bursts of reasons for optimism but so far I'm of the opinion that it is in spite of Warnock rather than because of him. Defensively we have started off with the same shambolic disorganised farce as he ended last season with. Clearly he hasn't learnt and while I'm happy to see things settle down and improve my head yells to me that its the same 5#it just a different season.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Redcar Rioja said:

My heart agrees with all that but my head says that without Isiah Jones we would be looking up the table at Derby.

I can see bursts of reasons for optimism but so far I'm of the opinion that it is in spite of Warnock rather than because of him. Defensively we have started off with the same shambolic disorganised farce as he ended last season with. Clearly he hasn't learnt and while I'm happy to see things settle down and improve my head yells to me that its the same 5#it just a different season.

It's a total "hold the ship together" season. We will finish between 15th-8th in the table, knick a few decent results, beat a few struggling teams, but we are a complete class below the top quality teams in the league.

The only reason I'm fine with it is that it's pretty nailed on Warnock won't be here next year. Just got to grit your teeth and get through it. Pray nightly for the gegenpressing madman German coach to come in summer.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I agree, all the same problems from last season are still here. Can't help but feel Warnock has lost his touch somewhat. Since when was a Warnock side so unorganised and easy to score against? He's had ample time to sort it.

The difference this season has been some individual goal contributions from new players like Crooks and Jones - which while of course is welcome and much more fun to watch, they won't solve the problem that we've turned into a side that leaks one or two comedy goals most games.

Think we'll be a standard upper mid-table Championship team this year who can win or lose against anyone on their day. But hopefully a good platform for the next manager to build on with plenty of young promising players. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

It's a total "hold the ship together" season. We will finish between 15th-8th in the table, knick a few decent results, beat a few struggling teams, but we are a complete class below the top quality teams in the league.

The only reason I'm fine with it is that it's pretty nailed on Warnock won't be here next year. Just got to grit your teeth and get through it. Pray nightly for the gegenpressing madman German coach to come in summer.

We've had quite a few 'holding seasons' lately.

28 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

Wonder what Uwe Fuchs is doing at the moment? 😁

2 hours ago, Smokedsalmon said:

We aren't a very well run football club unfortunately. Hopefully that's about to change.

Neither are most clubs though, certainly not in the Championship. The ones that are “successful” (ie outperforming expectation) tend to be the ones people say are “well run”, they go hand in hand.