oneBoro Forum

Blackburn manager Tony Mowbray comments on BBC Radio Lancashire:

"It wasn't very nice. It takes two teams to play a football match and Middlesbrough really deny you from playing.

"They're very combative and man-for-man in midfield. It was a real eye-opener for young Leighton Clarkson and Ian Poveda-Ocampo to play against that today.

"I thought Boro were good. They were at it and on the front foot, so we'll take the point, put it in the bag and move on to the next game."

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With this being out last fixture being the last before the first international break and the start of the next chants of its coming home. Boro Blackburn along with Man City Arsenal and Celtic Rangers 

If you've ever met Tony Mowbray he's far from miserable or lacking in class a top bloke actually, the club were asked if it was possible if we could supply a few players for a charity raising  pub eve

I made my return to the Riverside yesterday for the first time since Covid and lockdown hit. I’ve spoken on here in the past about losing the passion recently, largely due to a succession of years of

Posted Images

That Twitter video of the incident doesn't really prove things one way or another to me. My first thought looking at that is it looks like he's actually stamped a foot onto the player, especially given the trajectory of the ball looks very much unhindered by Morsy's attempted interception. Need a clearer look at it, personally.

3 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Both red cards were harsh IMO

I don't think so; the first one was for a second yellow and he clearly had a boot high up near McNairs face, that's a fair yellow card IMO.

17 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

That Twitter video of the incident doesn't really prove things one way or another to me. My first thought looking at that is it looks like he's actually stamped a foot onto the player, especially given the trajectory of the ball looks very much unhindered by Morsy's attempted interception. Need a clearer look at it, personally.

This is what I said yesterday; Sky have used the one angle that makes it look like a somewhat acceptable decision. It gets softer and softer with every alternate angle you see.

12 minutes ago, BoroJake said:

I thought the tackle on Isiah Jones in the first half was quite bad too. Absolutely no need for that

The ref set his stall up on Jones from minute 1. Literally about 30 seconds into the match, Jones was clearly fouled by the edge of their penalty area and he was getting nothing out of the ref.

24 minutes ago, BoroJake said:

I thought the tackle on Isiah Jones in the first half was quite bad too. Absolutely no need for that

I quite honestly think that was more of a straight red than Morsys. 

Unbelievable reffing yesterday.

I made my return to the Riverside yesterday for the first time since Covid and lockdown hit. I’ve spoken on here in the past about losing the passion recently, largely due to a succession of years of negative football. 

However I was really pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed the game. Let’s start with the atmosphere… it was bloody brilliant. I was in the south stand and we never stopped singing from start to finish. I brought my other half, who is a massive Leicester fan and goes to the majority of their home games, and she reluctantly admitted that the atmosphere in the Riverside is much better than in the King Power.

As for my passion for the Boro, well it seemed to return in overload as soon as I entered the Riverside. I think my poor partner was shocked by my personality change from the moment I walked through the turnstile. 

Onto the football… which again pleasantly surprised me. One of the best footballing performances we have put in under Warnock. I certainly can’t remember us dominating a game possession wise under Warnock like we did yesterday. Still too many long balls to Crooks, for me, but a hell of a lot better than it has been.

As for the referee, he was absolutely awful all game. I’m the first to say that I’m bored of listening to Warnock give off match after match about the officials. But on this occasion I think the criticism would be well warranted. The amount of shirt pulling that Blackburn got away with was ridiculous. And Morsy’s red card was even more ridiculous.

Players wise, I thought Tav was superb and my man of the match. Thought that was Howson’s best match for a long time. Jones caused problems with his pace but I was disappointed with his end product. Watmore was completely anonymous. Crooks worked hard but is not a striker. Dijksteel, McNair, Fry and Hall were all steady at the back. Also superb ball by Dijksteel for the goal.

Unfortunately we just lacked creativity. And here comes my one gripe… we have a creative Argentine (U23) international, that we have just spent £6m on, sitting on our bench… We have control of the game and looking for a winner… why on earth isn’t Warnock putting him on? I feel we were crying out for him the majority of the second half but the moment they went down to 10 men, Payero should have been on for Morsy. It’s a little comical that Warnock is using lack of Championship experience as an excuse not to give Payero, who has just come from playing in the Olympics, playing time, yet Olusanya, who has come from non League, is fine to play. And I’m not really sure how Payero is going to get up to the speed of the Championship by sitting on the bench week in, week on. It just feels like stubbornness on Warnock’s part to me, which is really disappointing. Especially given that he and Gibson are supposed to have great respect for each other, it’s a little disappointing to see him put his own agenda before the future of the club.

Anyway, I don’t want to let one negative overshadow what was an extremely enjoyable day otherwise. Up the Boro!!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I think we saw a lot less of Jones taking on his man yesterday, he was very often coming back in field and I think that was a tactical decision. I think if he had a good opportunity he would have took on the lad but he was up against a decent player and I think generally we actually tried to dominate the possession a bit more than just putting meaningless crosses into the box. For most the game, anyway. There was a point around the time we scored where we seemed to shift and we took it right into the 2nd half too.

It's also worth saying that when we were putting crosses in, Ayala and their defenders were winning pretty much everything. Think there was a Crooks header from a free-kick in the 2nd half which went close? That was like our only aerial chance I can think of so keeping it on the floor made sense. It was good to see Jones could still be himself but also contribute to a different kind of game.

• Like 2

As soon as Jones got near the ball, Blackburn were doubling up on him. Difficult to get much end product when they crowd in on you. Same as clubs did against Adama. They obviously identified him as a threat, and it’s probably why Tav had his best game in ages, they had to leave gaps somewhere and he took full advantage. 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Mr_Maz said:

NW should start releasing all the letters and emails admmitting mistakes from the refs assosiation. 

how many need to be distributed by managers for Refs to improve and take responsibility for their ineptitude?

Disagree. Fact it would be counter productive in my opinion. Referees get a lot of stick in the media and by fans alike for scant reward but a game cannot start unless there is an official. It’s time players start playing the game instead of trying to influence bookings. Why anyone would want to become a referee is questionable. Of course they get it wrong but they get the majority right. VAR was brought in to try balance and correct mistakes which with a bit more adjustment here and there is a good thing. Decisions balance out over the course of the season and it’s something we live with.  

27 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

Disagree. Fact it would be counter productive in my opinion. Referees get a lot of stick in the media and by fans alike for scant reward but a game cannot start unless there is an official. It’s time players start playing the game instead of trying to influence bookings. Why anyone would want to become a referee is questionable. Of course they get it wrong but they get the majority right. VAR was brought in to try balance and correct mistakes which with a bit more adjustment here and there is a good thing. Decisions balance out over the course of the season and it’s something we live with.  

I've often thought that having Four Linesmen (Assistants) might help in that one Lino can be there for Offside decisions as at present while the opposite one can be there to watch whats going on generally and to counter any eccentric decisions via the mic. They still won't get everything right but surely the more eyes they have the better even if its only to stop the niggly gamesmanship. The additional cost wouldn't be great and could even be used as a stepping stone.

18 hours ago, J.T. said:

Unfortunately we just lacked creativity. And here comes my one gripe… we have a creative Argentine (U23) international, that we have just spent £6m on, sitting on our bench… We have control of the game and looking for a winner… why on earth isn’t Warnock putting him on? I feel we were crying out for him the majority of the second half but the moment they went down to 10 men, Payero should have been on for Morsy. It’s a little comical that Warnock is using lack of Championship experience as an excuse not to give Payero, who has just come from playing in the Olympics, playing time, yet Olusanya, who has come from non League, is fine to play. And I’m not really sure how Payero is going to get up to the speed of the Championship by sitting on the bench week in, week on. It just feels like stubbornness on Warnock’s part to me, which is really disappointing. Especially given that he and Gibson are supposed to have great respect for each other, it’s a little disappointing to see him put his own agenda before the future of the club.

That was commented on a lot but I think it was diggerlad who mentioned that Payero was one of the players who had been sick, like Spence, during the week and only came in for training on thursday, so it wasn't expected that he would feature. He played an u23 game yesterday though so at least he is getting some minutes in his legs. Hope to see a bit more from him after the international break.

• Like 2
On 8/29/2021 at 10:28 AM, Mr_Maz said:

NW should start releasing all the letters and emails admmitting mistakes from the refs assosiation. 

how many need to be distributed by managers for Refs to improve and take responsibility for their ineptitude?

You’re buying Warnock’s spiel. We’ve had some bad decisions this season but so has everyone else. It’s a classic distraction technique from wiley old Warnock.