oneBoro Forum

Coventry vs Boro 2-0

i was watching some old boro goals from years gone by last night on youtube. after reading about sporar looking for boro fans, i did it myself and ended up watching juninho massimo and the boys back in the day tearing it up for an hour. few cracking goals against coventry to. hopefully we get some more youtube memories tomorrow. 

i hate the international break its *** missing out watching us especially when we have a load of new players to get excited to see. 

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Scene 1: Ext (Day). [On the Rockliffe training pitches, Neil Warnock is playing keepie-up with a ball tied to elastic wrapped around his foot. Dael Fry wanders up, squeezing a spot] FRY: How

I’ve said time and time again (although I don’t post much nowadays) that there is no point in splashing money on players unless the manager is capable of welding them into a successful team. Boro’s hi

Britt Assombalonga - £15m in 2017 Bielsa to Leeds - 2018 but I can’t find his salary for 2018. But he is on a lot for a manager now they’re in the prem at around £8m a year my point is that

Posted Images

Just now, Dynamo Kev said:

i was watching some old boro goals from years gone by last night on youtube. after reading about sporar looking for boro fans, i did it myself and ended up watching juninho massimo and the boys back in the day tearing it up for an hour. few cracking goals against coventry to. hopefully we get some more youtube memories tomorrow. 

i hate the international break its *** missing out watching us especially when we have a load of new players to get excited to see. 

also just adding to the fans part. listening to the old games when i was there every week as a red book holder. the red faction is way better than anything back then. the club need to get their *** into gear and support them more. giving them more blocks in the south stand is a good starting point. they should be central behind that goal. stupid of the club to have half of it never even going on sale.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Dynamo Kev said:

Im usually not a fan of this break, however, this time I am eager to see what the new players can bring to the table. 
It would be great if they could hit the ground running and we could take 12 points from the next 15, but i honestly expect 9-10 points........October will be when I really expect us to see the new guys making a difference and us kicking on......well at least I hope that's the case!.....UTB!

Did anyone else notice that NW mentioned the fact the 'Silky' was being watched by Kieran Scott, so he is already having an impact on transfers?

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, JonnyMFC said:

Im usually not a fan of this break, however, this time I am eager to see what the new players can bring to the table. 
It would be great if they could hit the ground running and we could take 12 points from the next 15, but i honestly expect 9-10 points........October will be when I really expect us to see the new guys making a difference and us kicking on......well at least I hope that's the case!.....UTB!

Did anyone else notice that NW mentioned the fact the 'Silky' was being watched by Kieran Scott, so he is already having an impact on transfers?

yep thats brilliant news isnt it. already pulling in guys for relative peanuts. when comparing to us signing spuds like flint for 7 million and mr average's for 7 million like saville. and the biggest spud of all time 15 million spunked down the toilet on britt. wowsers we were woeful at recruitment for so many years. lol

imagine if we actually spent well over the last decade, pretty sure we'd be a premier league team for the majority of it.

whats probably more important we might find that gibson actually shows trust in him and is more willing to bring in an apparently risky signing.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Humpty said:

Bola touch and go for tomorrow. Only started training again yesterday and Warnock isn’t keen to risk him if he’s not right.

I reckon he’ll play

if hes not playing its a 3 at the back then. you dont take risks on your only LB for me like. i wouldnt risk it at all. if hes not playing will will pretty much have to involve more new lads. unless we are happy to start malley or play with bamba/peltier cb and have paddy in midfiled. i'd prefer to push tav into cm keep paddy in back 3 and start hernandez. or tav wide and start payero. but is he ready though lol

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Dynamo Kev said:

if hes not playing its a 3 at the back then. you dont take risks on your only LB for me like. i wouldnt risk it at all. if hes not playing will will pretty much have to involve more new lads. unless we are happy to start malley or play with bamba/peltier cb and have paddy in midfiled. i'd prefer to push tav into cm keep paddy in back 3 and start hernandez. or tav wide and start payero. but is he ready though lol

actually i bet he plays tav rwb dijksteel r cb and paddy in midfield with howson and crooks. so one of sporar/hernandez/payero/watmore will be playing of uche

14 minutes ago, Dynamo Kev said:

Oh I agree…but we had a very similar circumstance leading up to the Fulham game and Bola ended up turning out. Might be different now the windows closed mind.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Humpty said:

Oh I agree…but we had a very similar circumstance leading up to the Fulham game and Bola ended up turning out. Might be different now the windows closed mind.

yes mate could well be. but looking at jones he's really helped us by kicking on and he played there against blackburn and did fine. though its an away game and he might have to do some defending which NW might think is a bit risky.

Coventry City v Middlesbrough 

I use to enjoy going to Coventry in the mid 70's to early 80's.

Seen the 1st top flight hattrick in my life time when Bernie bagged all 3 at Coventry on the 16th October 1988 in a classc 4-3 performance, the last top flight hattrick was way back in November 1947 when James McCormack scored 3 at Ewood Park

4-11-1924 1st away fixture - Coventry 2 Boro 2, with the John Carr (one of the famous Carr brothers who played for the mighty Boro) scored our 1st Boro goal v Coventry

Coventry City v Boro fixture will be 24th fixture in the west Midlands between the 2 teams with the following record:

Won  6

Drew 6

Lost   11

Goals scored - 27

Goals against - 36 

Boro have played Coventry in all competitions over the years, League one/ PL, Championship/ League one, Simod Cup, League cup, FAC

15TH August 1992 Boro played away to Coventry for our 1st ever PL fixture, unfortunately we lost 2-1 with Paul Wilkinson scoring our 1st ever PL goal

Following Boro players scoring on their debuts v Coventry City

Peter Dickinson 1st November 1924 score 2-2

Alen Boksic 19th August 2000 score 3-1

Joseph Desire Job 19th August 2000 score 3-1

Bernie Slaven is the only Boro player to net a hattrick v Coventry

A few players who played for both team

Ian Gibson played for the Boro from 1961-66, signing for Coventry in 66 for a club record fee for Coventry of £57k, he helped the Sky Blues win the Second Division title in his first season, including helping Coventry qualify for Europe after they finished sixth in the top-flight in 1970

Arthur Lightening goalkeeper 1962-63 season

Noel Whelan Boro signed Whelan from the Sky Blues for £2.2million going on to make 61 appearances across three seasons with the Boro, scoring 5 goals. He also scored an own goal against the Sky Blues on his 26th birthday

Dimitrios Konstantopoulos, making a 139 appearences for the sky blues

Edited by Erimus74
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, Brunners said:

@DownsouthWarnock confirms he calls JLS "Silky" cause he can't pronounce his name.

Lol! thanks for that I guess it was always going to be Silky or skills, let's hope both names can be combined with performance on this pitch silky skills!

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Humpty said:
42 minutes ago, Dynamo Kev said:

I was gonna say exactly this - Bola didn't play or train basically all pre season and still played 90 minutes that first game. I agree with you that I think he might well play.

I think Tav could comfortably play at LB. He often gets back quickly, tracking attackers, putting in well timed challenges in his own half. Jones done well against Blackburn and didn't look out of place although his attacking threat was a bit more muted understandably on the basis that he can't be in two places at the same time.

Playing with a back four and Tav at LB with Jones ahead at LW would be a tasty proposition and while there may understandably be some defensive concerns I think the threat that the pair possess would far outweigh any negatives and have opponents being ultra cautious on their right rather than trying to exploit any defensive frailties. If they get caught out high up the pitch Tav and Jones will have them on toast all day every day.

• Downsouth changed the title to Coventry vs Boro 2-0