oneBoro Forum

Coventry vs Boro 2-0

53 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I think Tav could comfortably play at LB. He often gets back quickly, tracking attackers, putting in well timed challenges in his own half. Jones done well against Blackburn and didn't look out of place although his attacking threat was a bit more muted understandably on the basis that he can't be in two places at the same time.

Playing with a back four and Tav at LB with Jones ahead at LW would be a tasty proposition and while there may understandably be some defensive concerns I think the threat that the pair possess would far outweigh any negatives and have opponents being ultra cautious on their right rather than trying to exploit any defensive frailties. If they get caught out high up the pitch Tav and Jones will have them on toast all day every day.

Tav played as a full back frequently for the youth teams. It was only when he developed and his attacking abilities became more apparent that he was moved up the pitch.

• Like 1
  • Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Scene 1: Ext (Day). [On the Rockliffe training pitches, Neil Warnock is playing keepie-up with a ball tied to elastic wrapped around his foot. Dael Fry wanders up, squeezing a spot] FRY: How

I’ve said time and time again (although I don’t post much nowadays) that there is no point in splashing money on players unless the manager is capable of welding them into a successful team. Boro’s hi

Britt Assombalonga - £15m in 2017 Bielsa to Leeds - 2018 but I can’t find his salary for 2018. But he is on a lot for a manager now they’re in the prem at around £8m a year my point is that

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Erimus74 said:

Remember us losing 2-0 at Coventry on new years day 1980, a baltic start to the new decade

We'd never won on NYD in my lifetime while playing at Ayresome Park 

I don't think we've had that much luck playing at the Riverside either have we?  I can remember a win against Sheff Utd, and I think a crappy win against Everton one year, but other than that I can't think of another game we've won on New Years Day at home?  In fact, even away from home, I don't think our results on that day have been all that impressive, although I know we've beaten Preston a couple of times recently.  I feel like it's not a good day for us in general though?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Erimus74 said:

A few players who played for both team

Ian Gibson played for the Boro from 1961-66, signing for Coventry in 66 for a club record fee for Coventry of £57k, he helped the Sky Blues win the Second Division title in his first season, including helping Coventry qualify for Europe after they finished sixth in the top-flight in 1970

Arthur Lightening goalkeeper 1962-63 season

Noel Whelan Boro signed Whelan from the Sky Blues for £2.2million going on to make 61 appearances across three seasons with the Boro, scoring 5 goals. He also scored an own goal against the Sky Blues on his 26th birthday

Dimitrios Konstantopoulos, making a 139 appearences for the sky blues

You missed off a couple of decent players there mate. Boateng played for Coventry before we signed him from Villa, and we bought Jutkiewicz from there.  Keith O'Neill maybe as well although I'd have to check that but I'm sure he went there after us.  There is also the strange case of the loan signing of John Eustace, and a legend who has managed both clubs - Gordon Strachan 😱

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Dan1234 said:

If Hernandez is out

Lumley

BigDjik  Fry  McNair  Bola

Payero   Siliki   Crooks

Tav                         Jones

Uche

Yes. Let’s have a bit of this and go for it. 

On 9/7/2021 at 4:03 PM, BearSmog said:

1. Who makes your starting XI?

Lumley, Dijksteel, Fry, McNair, Bola, Howson, Tav, Crooks, Hernandez, Jones, Uche.

Subs: Daniels, Hall, Peltier, JLS, Payero, Watmore, Sporar

2. Why hasn’t Payero been given more game time so far?

Because Warnock feels he needs more time to adapt. Hoping that it happens sooner rather than later. 

3. Which of our summer signings are you most excited about seeing in a Boro shirt?

Hernandez, JLS and Sporar.. cant just pick one..

4. People used to use the phrase “being sent to Coventry” as an insult. Where would you least like to be sent in England, and why?

London.. it is just the worst! 

I went to screw fix last weekend and picked up a driver adapter so they might sell player adapters? 

I think we need to accept international are part and parcel of the season and it favours recovery of players especially in small squads. A reason I didn’t support NW excuses last season. I don’ get that high octane buzz about England these days but I enjoyed the Poland game because there was action and lots to talk about. Pickford and GS in particular. 
The way I see the break is getter signings settled, bonded and up to speed, I see only positives. 

I have been reflecting on the past.. 

Hairy Billy Ashcroft now there is something to talk about. The sloughs Lee Dong-Gook, Fat Branco, sick note Mido

The daftest shirt, the away one 96/97 my wife actually bought me one and brought out to Dubai.. I was stunned the wife bemused. A bit like having a fart moment and thinking did I touch cloth. 

Our new stadium looked just superb for a out the box IKEA package but they forgot to package the SOUL… I would be inclined to let people choose and get the Holgate back behind the goal. 

Edited by sanddancer
33 minutes ago, Brisbrough said:

5:2:3

Lumley

Dijk McNair Fry Hall Jones

Crooks Howson

Hernandez Uche Tav

Plan is to get game minutes for AS, MLS & MP

Thought he would go with this if Bola wouldn’t make it. Siliki’s abbreviation is now either a British Boyband or America’s Top Division apparently.. 

• Haha 1

No idea what to expect today, on paper it's a game we should be winning and I hope we go on to do that but Coventry have been decent since their return to the Championship.

I think Bola will play and I don't expect any of the new lads to start.

Sadly I can't watch or listen to it because of work so my interest is slightly less that normal.

23 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

No idea what to expect today, on paper it's a game we should be winning and I hope we go on to do that but Coventry have been decent since their return to the Championship.

I think Bola will play and I don't expect any of the new lads to start.

Sadly I can't watch or listen to it because of work so my interest is slightly less that normal.

Your interest will be heightened because of what you have said because you will be thinking I wonder how Boro are doing🙂

What to expect well who knows but this is an interesting game for all of us, Boro will be okay I believe 0-2!

7 hours ago, Brisbrough said:

5:2:3

Lumley

Dijk McNair Fry Hall Jones

Crooks Howson

Hernandez Uche Tav

Plan is to get game minutes for AS, JLS & MP

Well you were spot on last time you posted so welcome back Mr Warnock, good to hear from you again😉

Will give you a wave at the ground!

• Haha 2
  • Downsouth changed the title to Coventry vs Boro 2-0