• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Scene 1: Ext (Day). [On the Rockliffe training pitches, Neil Warnock is playing keepie-up with a ball tied to elastic wrapped around his foot. Dael Fry wanders up, squeezing a spot] FRY: How

I’ve said time and time again (although I don’t post much nowadays) that there is no point in splashing money on players unless the manager is capable of welding them into a successful team. Boro’s hi

Britt Assombalonga - £15m in 2017 Bielsa to Leeds - 2018 but I can’t find his salary for 2018. But he is on a lot for a manager now they’re in the prem at around £8m a year my point is that

Posted Images

I’ve said time and time again (although I don’t post much nowadays) that there is no point in splashing money on players unless the manager is capable of welding them into a successful team. Boro’s history of managers generally consists of appointing local heroes (Mowbray and Woodgate), players with pulling power but no managerial experience (Robson and Southgate), overrated wannabes (Monk), patch-up jobs (Venables), managers who could talk the talk but not walk the walk – until he walked (Strachan), and over-the-hill dinosaurs (Pulis and Warnock). The notable exceptions are McClaren and Karanka.

It is not that there are no out-of-work managers around who might not relish managing a former Premiership club with ambitions, a good infrastructure and a passionate fan base. I doubt that they’d be queuing up, but there are certainly a few out there (look at what Bielsa has done for Leeds).

We do not have to watch unattractive football, be content with mid-table mediocrity or dice with relegation. There is an alternative. All it takes is a bit of pizzaz, which Boro has been sadly lacking in recent years.

• Like 9
9 minutes ago, TheJew said:

Eddie Howe, Frank Lampard... if wanting to stick with British born managers.

I'm sure there's plenty of overseas ones who would jump at the chance too. We have a bloody good squad.

I fear Howe might be same-old-same-old. Lampard has the glamour factor though, and he didn't do badly at Derby. Personally, I'd look further afield.

Howe played good football but definitely had his weaknesses. 

Defensively his team was weak, and in the transfer market he failed much more often than succeeded. You'd like to think Scott could ensure the latter isn't a factor but I'm not sure about the former. Still, at this level you're not getting any better without huge risk imo.

• Like 1

If anyone thinks Gibson will sack Warnock in his final season in management, think again. He will be here for the full season, that I can guarantee you all. Gibson has shown that he waits too late to pull the trigger and realistically with nothing to play for, he won’t get rid of Warnock. 
I don’t see Warnock walking from a job in his final season either. 
This season already has vibes of just treading water and passing the time. It’s just all a bit meh at the moment. 

I think what makes it worse is the Warnock excuses. Look in the mirror Neil and reflect that we need a different approach you egg

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

What do you mean Howe being same-old same-old? 

I would take Howe gladly in the absence of anyone better, but my point is to spend more money on a top-class manager. We could spread the net a bit wider and not be afraid of paying top-dollar for a manager who could assure us PL football for years to come. I might be idealistic but I do think it is within our reach.

2 hours ago, Aphex_Boro said:

Chris Wilder would do me

Whether its a Wilder, Howe, Lampard or whoever may become available shortly (Hughton or even, Farke perhaps?) I'm guessing that already SG is working with Scott for a rehashed Plan B.

The challenge for Lampard would be very similar to the Derby one except with a Chairman that is probably considered to be more realistic and with a better run Club (or so we think and hope). It would almost be the perfect Club for him to rebuild his managerial career with and also perhaps not get his head turned too quickly after his Chelsea stint.

Howe doesn't seem to do the Northern parts of the UK and I suspect is very much a South Coast man. I think even a London Club may be too far North for him plus as mentioned previously I'm not convinced that his ability in the Transfer market exudes confidence but with Scott in place it could be a good pairing but I doubt the drop in temperatures would sit comfortably with him.

Wilder I suspect would be interested in the role and would be a safe pair of hands with the relevant recent experience to achieve the goal of promotion. I'm not convinced however that he would be remotely considered if the vacancy arises next summer if somehow Warnock got his head out of his derriere to last that long. It's a bit like a McCarthy appointment following Warnock at Cardiff albeit and upgraded McCarthy. We could do far worse but I suspect the preferred and intended plan between SG and Scott is a bit sexier than that.

There are also the unknowns abroad that Scott will have details on no doubt but they could prove a risk if they take time to adjust culturally let alone from a purely footballing perspective. That's before we consider availability and suitability criteria. To me Lampard is the young fresh option with experience and more in touch with the here and now to be able to hit the ground running. His background as a Player and Coaching techniques he experienced throughout his career I think would also be a good fit with the current squad. I am sure the likes of Tav, Dijksteel, Bola and Jones just as a few examples would really be excited at having a more progressive dynamic manager. Throw in the recent signings like Payero, Siliki etc. and it looks to me like a very good fit having been used to squads of different nationalities and languages.

The fact Lampard is English and available would sit well with SG plus I also think the vast majority of fans would react positively as oppose to the Pulis arrival, Woodgate farce and Warnock being somewhat of an acquired taste albeit a desperation appointment at the time. Crucially I think Lampard would also be interested in the opportunity especially seeing the current squad and Scott being in place. The mindset and style of play would fit well with the fans expectations, Gibson's hopes and Scott's type of recruitment policy. 

The other alternative is to continue with things as they are with fans becoming disenfranchised and as is worryingly evident on the pitch now the players themselves. Warnock may turn things around but I see no reason to believe that. His wheels fell off when Fry was booted in the face against Blackburn and has repeatedly been looking for excuses and scapegoats for his failings ever since. He is in a rut and shows no sign of getting out of it.

Instinctively fans sense when a manager has come to the end of their useful time be it Karanka, Mowbray or a Robson. Sentimentality has no room in modern day football and sometimes as in life generally the best laid plans often have to be executed sooner than hoped for or anticipated.

Edited by Redcar Rioja
  • Like 6
11 hours ago, trekkers said:

Whatever!! I'm not going to bite but my point is racism has no place......anywhere.

I don’t want to derail the thread as the subject has and will be discussed endlessly. Racism is a very complex subject which to understand requires dedicating a great amount of time to study. I suggest to avoid the obvious groups that present only one side and look at the history and how and why it’s defined.
I took a interest as I have been in a mixed marriage of 34 years, lived and worked in Asian for 37 years engaging numerous nationalities. One fundamental question would be, if we removed binary racial categorisations what will take its place, will another arbitrary ranking system just take its place?
It’s been suggested that over time and populations of mix children of mixed-race would eventually eliminate racism but the reality is that mixed-race societies can also uphold racism.

i am not preaching to anyone nor do I have a clear understanding but I know just a little more about the complexity on the subject then I did before. 
https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/18/racism-wont-go-away-even-if-were-all-mixed-race-in-the-future-9842011/

https://www.coe.int/en/web/compass/discrimination-and-intolerance

Edited by sanddancer

I’m sorry but Lampard is another manager who isn’t experienced enough for me. He’s had two seasons in management. I don’t want a manager to come in and learn on the job, but it is probably the way we would operate. 

The role of Scott in the background and to what he has eluded to so far, makes me think that he is going to sit down with Gibson (or already has done) and worked out a philosophy of how he wants us to play from top to bottom. Kind of like the Woodgate Golden Thread chat, which is the right thing to do imo with a whole club approach, but then we need to recruit AND have a manager who plays that way. 

Warnock doesn’t even know his best 11. And is playing wingbacks with no real recognised wingback. This is part of the problem for me where something feels disjointed at boro. We have seemingly recruited players, but do we know where they will fit or how our best 11 looks? I’m not so sure. 

If we have everyone singing from the same hymn in terms of how boro play then it should be an easier approach. 

I think Dijksteele is fantastic as a defender, but he isn’t a wing back. Ironically we offloaded Spence who IS good for that role imo. So we are playing a system where we have square pegs in round holes, oh and look, we struggled to get going because of it. 

We need a whole club approach and it’s infuriating that we’re wasting time when we seemingly have someone else lined up. 

8 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

I’m sorry but Lampard is another manager who isn’t experienced enough for me. He’s had two seasons in management. I don’t want a manager to come in and learn on the job, but it is probably the way we would operate. 

Heaven forbid we get another Robson, McClaren or Karanka then. Looking at Norwich I doubt many of us would have looked at Alex Neil at the time or indeed Daniel Farke.

I doubt many would have complained had we beaten WBA and brought in Valerian Ismael this summer yet his career history was low key to put it very mildly before coming to Barnsley.

I'm not sure how experienced you think we can realistically attract or afford? Lampard was deemed good enough for a top Premiership side and at 43 is only two years younger than Valerian. Marco Silva is 44 despite seemingly having been around for some time now and I would guess that these types are the best we could hope for at this level. Bournemouth's Scott Parker is the young whippersnapper at only 40 years old so none of the best or better managers in the Championship are seasoned and experienced campaigners.

An experienced Manager is likely to have been successful otherwise we wouldn't want him but if that's the case then they are likely to want and get a better Club at a higher level. We have had two experienced Managers lately with Pulis and Warnock but experience guarantees nothing, as our next opponents, Forest can testify. An experienced Manager is also likely to have reservations working with Scott in tenure so I can't see it happening which brings me back to thinking that a Lampard or similar in terms of age, experience and most importantly footballing ethos is a good fit.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Heaven forbid we get another Robson, McClaren or Karanka then. Looking at Norwich I doubt many of us would have looked at Alex Neil at the time or indeed Daniel Farke.

I doubt many would have complained had we beaten WBA and brought in Valerian Ismael this summer yet his career history was low key to put it very mildly before coming to Barnsley.

I'm not sure how experienced you think we can realistically attract or afford? Lampard was deemed good enough for a top Premiership side and at 43 is only two years younger than Valerian. Marco Silva is 44 despite seemingly having been around for some time now and I would guess that these types are the best we could hope for at this level. Bournemouth's Scott Parker is the young whippersnapper at only 40 years old so none of the best or better managers in the Championship are seasoned and experienced campaigners.

An experienced Manager is likely to have been successful otherwise we wouldn't want him but if that's the case then they are likely to want and get a better Club at a higher level. We have had two experienced Managers lately with Pulis and Warnock but experience guarantees nothing, as our next opponents, Forest can testify. An experienced Manager is also likely to have reservations working with Scott in tenure so I can't see it happening which brings me back to thinking that a Lampard or similar in terms of age, experience and most importantly footballing ethos is a good fit.

Sorry, I’m not against a young inexperienced manager totally, but I would like us to have some form of building blocks in place. Karanka was a rookie in terms of management, but had been an assistant so brought some experience along with him. Comparing him to Woodgate for example shows the difference of our approaches. 

Lampard is still class as an inexperienced manager because he’s only had Derby and Chelsea (around 3 seasons), where as Karanka had 5 years experience before he came to us (so not a complete novice). He coached the Spain u-21 squad and then was the Real Madrid assistant for 3 years then he came to us. 

I also think Lampard actually had some amazing players in the championship and still bottled it. Players like Timori (AC Milan), Mount (Chelsea) and Wilson (Fulham/Liverpool) and still didn’t manage to go up. Not that he’s a bad manager, but questions could still be asked. 

I like Lampard, but I’m just not sold that he has done the hard yards yet in management, but each to their own. 

• Like 2