oneBoro Forum

Coventry vs Boro 2-0

It’s pointless speculating on a new manager right now I think? It’s not happening any time soon. Reflecting on yesterday in the cold light of day I can see that there was mitigation for the manager in losing McNair, the poor performance of key players and a feeling that if we had taken the lead when we should have then it may well have been a whole different outcome. However lingering concerns in defaulting to Bamba to replace Paddy, Howson being a regular starter (I’m a fan of Johnny but feel his role now is solid back up player) and sticking with a system which has too many good players not playing to their strengths. I just worry that NW is always going to stick with what he knows - you can’t blame him it’s worked 9 times, whilst this squad is crying out for a modern and imaginative approach.

• Like 1
  • Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Scene 1: Ext (Day). [On the Rockliffe training pitches, Neil Warnock is playing keepie-up with a ball tied to elastic wrapped around his foot. Dael Fry wanders up, squeezing a spot] FRY: How

I’ve said time and time again (although I don’t post much nowadays) that there is no point in splashing money on players unless the manager is capable of welding them into a successful team. Boro’s hi

Britt Assombalonga - £15m in 2017 Bielsa to Leeds - 2018 but I can’t find his salary for 2018. But he is on a lot for a manager now they’re in the prem at around £8m a year my point is that

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

Sorry, I’m not against a young inexperienced manager totally, but I would like us to have some form of building blocks in place. Karanka was a rookie in terms of management, but had been an assistant so brought some experience along with him. Comparing him to Woodgate for example shows the difference of our approaches. 

Lampard is still class as an inexperienced manager because he’s only had Derby and Chelsea (around 3 seasons), where as Karanka had 5 years experience before he came to us (so not a complete novice). He coached the Spain u-21 squad and then was the Real Madrid assistant for 3 years then he came to us. 

I also think Lampard actually had some amazing players in the championship and still bottled it. Players like Timori (AC Milan), Mount (Chelsea) and Wilson (Fulham/Liverpool) and still didn’t manage to go up. Not that he’s a bad manager, but questions could still be asked. 

I like Lampard, but I’m just not sold that he has done the hard yards yet in management, but each to their own. 

All fair points, my take is that the plan is now with Scott and therein lies the continuity rather than with the management appointments going forwards.

Like McClaren, Karanka did have some previous experience sitting next to their masters but Lampard is more experienced than say Robson was or indeed Rooney is at Derby who in fairness to him is far exceeding my expectations of what I thought he would achieve especially considering the state of the Club imploding around him, not that I'm advocating a move for Rooney.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, ManBearPig said:

If anyone thinks Gibson will sack Warnock in his final season in management, think again. He will be here for the full season, that I can guarantee you all. Gibson has shown that he waits too late to pull the trigger and realistically with nothing to play for, he won’t get rid of Warnock. 
I don’t see Warnock walking from a job in his final season either. 
This season already has vibes of just treading water and passing the time. It’s just all a bit meh at the moment. 

I think what makes it worse is the Warnock excuses. Look in the mirror Neil and reflect that we need a different approach you egg

A couple of very good points there.

The only scenario I see Warnock going this season is if we're in the bottom 5-6 come Christmas. Which given our form so far isn't beyond the realms of possibility...

But besides Gibson's (oft misplaced) loyalty and Warnock's stubbornness, I'd rather not rush a new manager in just to try and launch a late play-off push.

Let Scott do his due diligence and find someone who can take the club forward for a few years at least.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, BoroSmoggie said:

😭

643F3D93-62C6-41DF-A3C0-72962960C5F3.png

A few frames earlier is still worse. Even if Uche gets it out of his feet to pass it to one of the others there, the defender could cut out the pass. It's Tav picking him over the other 2 which is far more criminal. I'm not gonna have a go at Uche for what he did there tbh.

I reckon Scott will have a list of potential managers already. He's been doing this for years. If we don't get at least 4 points - unlikely I know - from the next 2 games - team we need to be beating - I reckon Gibson's usual October trigger might get a run out. Warnock just seems to either think he is untouchable or is trying to get the sack.

His comments about some players and his terrible formations and tactics are starting to really annoy me.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

A couple of very good points there.

The only scenario I see Warnock going this season is if we're in the bottom 5-6 come Christmas. Which given our form so far isn't beyond the realms of possibility...

But besides Gibson's (oft misplaced) loyalty and Warnock's stubbornness, I'd rather not rush a new manager in just to try and launch a late play-off push.

Let Scott do his due diligence and find someone who can take the club forward for a few years at least.

Indeed, this isn't about saving this season unless it becomes stupidly bad.

Having said that, I am wondering just how much Warnock is invested in this season now. The comments he made about Howson being his only anchor (despite never playing Morsy there) made it sound to me like he's not happy with the make up of the squad before we get to the left back situation. He sounds like a defeated man at the moment.

I kind of understand why from his perspective but I'll say this again; Warnock could be seen just as positively as Mogga was, a vital piece to the long term puzzle, if he just knuckles down and gets on with it. He doesn't need to get us promoted this year so long as he handles our transition from one type of club to the next in a way that doesn't force Scott's hand before it's required.

I will say though as well that thank God this experienced manager who's taking us through this process isn't Pulis. It could be much worse from a football perspective, IMO.

15 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Indeed, this isn't about saving this season unless it becomes stupidly bad.

Having said that, I am wondering just how much Warnock is invested in this season now. The comments he made about Howson being his only anchor (despite never playing Morsy there) made it sound to me like he's not happy with the make up of the squad before we get to the left back situation. He sounds like a defeated man at the moment.

I kind of understand why from his perspective but I'll say this again; Warnock could be seen just as positively as Mogga was, a vital piece to the long term puzzle, if he just knuckles down and gets on with it. He doesn't need to get us promoted this year so long as he handles our transition from one type of club to the next in a way that doesn't force Scott's hand before it's required.

I will say though as well that thank God this experienced manager who's taking us through this process isn't Pulis. It could be much worse from a football perspective, IMO.

I'm not sure the football could be much worse than yesterday to be fair. We were 2nd to everything and the players didn't seem to have a clue. Noone in the actual starting lineup had been away on international duty I don't think. So no excuse at all for the shambles we saw.

2 minutes ago, DevKWat said:

Team for Forest considering injuries, simply has to be a back 4 and players in their best positions.

Lumley 

Dijksteel, Fry, Hall, Peltier

Howson, Lea-Siliki

Hernandez, Tav, Jones

Sporar

Hey, hey, hey don't spoil my Forest thread DK🙂

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, edinboro said:

I'm not sure the football could be much worse than yesterday to be fair. We were 2nd to everything and the players didn't seem to have a clue. Noone in the actual starting lineup had been away on international duty I don't think. So no excuse at all for the shambles we saw.

We had our moments yesterday when we actually got the ball down for 5 seconds before lumping it up front. Sometimes when you're under the cosh, it's not just about trying to counter directly, sometimes you just need to find a player in space anywhere on the pitch to figure out how committed the opposition are to the press.

There was one point yesterday which led to Hernandez's left footed shot from the edge of the area (which came about after a period of panicky clearances) that could arguably have gone better just because we managed to do something on the floor. It all came about because instead of launching it behind their line like we were for so long, Dijksteel stopped and played it backwards to Howson. They regrouped but we still looked like a threat.

The frustrating thing yesterday was we went long too often when McFadzean was winning everything. Even then though, we had 2 players usually chasing those balls. Uche was trying to win the battle and Hernandez was trying to anticipate any missed interceptions. Pulis would have had 9 men on the edge of our box with one forward chasing everything for nowt.