oneBoro Forum

Keiran Scott

51 minutes ago, Riverside94 said:

I hope Siliki isn’t a sign of things to come from Scott, haven’t seen him make a decent pass yet always loosing the ball

I think with someone like Scott and route we are going down we need to be patient. If we are going to be making signings like this, some will take time to come good (especially if they are coming in from abroad) and some signings won't work out. 

If we are trying to build something it might take a couple of seasons to get going and that journey probably won't even start until Warnock goes. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We're a yoyo club. We're just doing the 'walk the dog' trick at the minute...  

You have to remember that whatever Siliki is doing right now, he's playing under a manager that likes to completely bypass the midfield. Yesterday we resorted pretty much entirely to hoof ball. Sorry

Scott wasn't the Director of Football at Norwich, he was Head of Recruitment. His job was to identify good players at low prices who would improve the team. He did that successfully. He migh

On 9/14/2021 at 10:20 AM, RiseAgainst said:

I doubt Norwich saw him offering Boro some support prior to joining as a conflict of interest, considering we're in different divisions and pursuing very different targets. Plus, without assisting us, he'd have been sat twiddling his thumbs throughout an entire transfer window, which would have been a waste of his talents.

It's the most overt acknowledgement yet that we are planning for the future, and when was the last time Boro fans could say that?

Can I be brutelly honest here I am far from sure about this, lot's of folks are raving about him but for all it is worth Norwich are not all that nor have they found a way to step up.

Sure they do well in the Championship but let's face it they will be relegated again this season, another yo-yo club.

Just my two pence worth

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Downsouth said:

Can I be brutelly honest here I am far from sure about this, lot's of folks are raving about him but for all it is worth Norwich are not all that nor have they found a way to step up.

Sure they do well in the Championship but let's face it they will be relegated again this season, another yo-yo club.

Just my two pence worth

I think doing a Norwich would be a step up from our current predicament even if losing every week in the top flight is not very appealing. 

You'd just have to hope we would be a bit better resourced in the top flight than Norwich are. 

• Like 3

Norwich need to stop yo-yoing between the divisions, but they're a club in far better financial and recruitment shape than us, and they chop and change their manager less frequently (with less 180s in playing staff and philosophy after each sacking) than us.

I'm not suggesting they're doing everything right, and their current form is pitiful, but I'd argue Norwich are far further down the road we'd like to be on than we currently are!

• Like 4

Obviously being like Norwich is an improvement on our current situation but their Premier League performances and plans reek.

They'd planned for 3 points out of their first 6 games, as Farke is so keen to keep stressing and they've not even looked close to managing that.

They've played Newcastle, Watford, a poor Arsenal and a perennially mid table Everton in that time.

They play Burnley next, if they don't beat them then who are they going to?

I wouldn't be surprised if their projected points tally was based on 3 draws either.

Karanka was sacked with Middlesbrough on 22 points, there were 11 games left.

Farke managed 21 points in total in his last attempt, and they might well do worse than that this time.

• Like 3

Scott wasn't the Director of Football at Norwich, he was Head of Recruitment.

His job was to identify good players at low prices who would improve the team. He did that successfully.

He might agree with Farke's style of play, but he didn't appoint Farke, and who is to say that he would be satisfied with keeping things as they are? There's a reason he has wanted to set out on his own career as a Director of Football. Presumably he has ideas and things he wants to push that he just couldn't as Norwich, as he wasn't in charge.

• Like 4
40 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I think with someone like Scott and route we are going down we need to be patient. If we are going to be making signings like this, some will take time to come good (especially if they are coming in from abroad) and some signings won't work out. 

If we are trying to build something it might take a couple of seasons to get going and that journey probably won't even start until Warnock goes. 

Doesn’t matter where you’ve come from you should be able to make a simple pass. Was a time yesterday he had an easy ball to Bola (I think it was) when he just came on and completely misplaced it. I’ve seen my 5 year old make a pass like that

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Riverside94 said:

Doesn’t matter where you’ve come from you should be able to make a simple pass. Was a time yesterday he had an easy ball to Bola (I think it was) when he just came on and completely misplaced it. I’ve seen my 5 year old make a pass like that

I'm sure he can make simple passes otherwise he wouldn't have played international football or in the Champions league. Sometimes players just play really badly, none of us know whats going on behind the scenes at the moment either. 

Maybe Siliki will turn out to be a total flop I'm just saying that its a bit early to start panicking about the new head of recruitment when he hasn't even been in the job for a month yet.  

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Obviously being like Norwich is an improvement on our current situation but their Premier League performances and plans reek.

They'd planned for 3 points out of their first 6 games, as Farke is so keen to keep stressing and they've not even looked close to managing that.

They've played Newcastle, Watford, a poor Arsenal and a perennially mid table Everton in that time.

They play Burnley next, if they don't beat them then who are they going to?

I wouldn't be surprised if their projected points tally was based on 3 draws either.

Karanka was sacked with Middlesbrough on 22 points, there were 11 games left.

Farke managed 21 points in total in his last attempt, and they might well do worse than that this time.

I've been surprised at how badly Norwich have started this season. I would have thought they would be much better prepared after their previous experience.

Maybe their players just aren't good enough. Maybe Farke just can't cut it at that level. Probably a bit of both.

At least they should be well prepared for another try if they do get relegated again. Though would not be surprised if they get a new manager in by Christmas if things don't improve.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Exactly. Just getting Boro to where Norwich were last season will probably take at at least that long...if not longer.

We should be looking for steady, incremental improvements that will allow the club to grow organically, rather than throwing a load of money at a new manager and expecting them to take us up that season (we've tried that and it didn't turn out well). 

58 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Just my two pence worth

They do seem to have hit a bit of a wall now.

Their methods worked very well until last season, but if this season looks like being worse than their previous stint in the PL, you have to wonder if the board won't think about getting a new manager in.

Probably could do with a few new signings as well, but its possible that Farke is a Championship manager at best.

But at least they've done things the right way with steady improvements and keeping faith in their manager (so far). Better than the boom n' bust spending and U-turns in management style we've done.

• Like 3

You have to remember that whatever Siliki is doing right now, he's playing under a manager that likes to completely bypass the midfield. Yesterday we resorted pretty much entirely to hoof ball. Sorry but I don't know how we're supposed to judge the ability of midfielders ability to pass the ball when the keeper sees more of the ball than they do in a team that doesn't play with a ball-playing keeper.

Siliki came on for Payero yesterday and between the 2 of them, Lumley had more touches, 37 to 36. Crooks was only sent off late on and he had 26 touches in the entire game. Compare that to the entire Reading team and it's pretty embarrassing how wasteful we are in utilising our midfield. They just don't see the ball enough to judge sometimes.

• Like 5