oneBoro Forum

Boro V Blackpool 1-2 (Tavernier)

Riverside Stadium

Saturday 18th September 2021

Kick off: 1500hrs.

Highlights to be shown on Sky Sports and Quest though possibly some links might appear for live coverage.

Introduction

Once again our brave battleing Boro go into the fray welcoming the players and staff and supporters of Blackpool FC with both clubs experiencing different fortunes midweek. Boro mightley relieved to finally get their first away win of the season at Forest, who are in all sorts of trouble, and recording our second win of the season much to the delight of the fans. The game was not that great but improvements were seen which is encouraging.

Blackpool for their part, and playing a day earlier than Boro, suffered a home loss by 3 clear goals against Huddersfield leaving Blackpool sitting in the bottom 3 of the division, could change if Derby get 9 points taken off them. Certainly Blackpool are struggling to cope with last seasons promotion and have a lot of trouble scoring goals.

There has been one game already between the teams so far this season when Blackpool dumped Boro out of the EFL cup first round at their gaff at Bloomfield Road.......but that was then and this is now and so hopefully Warnock and his band of merry men (would have been a better mention in the Forest thread) will want to address that result.

I have to smile a little because many folks take a day trip to Blackpool just wonder how many from Blackpool will take a day trip to Middlesbrough🙂

Current Form

Boro: WLDDLW

Blackpool: LWLDLL

Last 6 results between Boro and Blackpool

Boro first and reverse for Blackpool: WDWDWL

However our last home win against Blackpool was in December 2012! so not many league games between the clubs over a 9 year period

Injuries

Seems to be doubts over a number of the squad including Paddy, Sililki, Bola to name a few

What will the gaffer do and other talking points.

Will we see a Boro performance worthy of a second win on the spin?

With Hughton sacking confirmed will Warnock target Neil Critchley and add further pressure on him?

What will be your preffered starting 11 taking into account potential injuries?

Will there be many day trippers?

Which rock is best, Blackpool or Redcar?

Your projected result?

A view from Downsouth

Well it was great to finally equal DZ's mammoth run of authoring match day threads, just to shut him up😉 by authoring a second thread on the spin but I am a greedy so and so and with that in mind I hope to see a game with plenty of passion and flair from Boro leading to another win at The Riverside becuase the fans are owed one and of course bragging rights of doing 3 on the spin!

Going to be a tough game as Blackpool are no mugs they will give us a hard time if allowed but they do let goals in and we are capable of scoring. Looking forward to a more precise Boro perfomance as I feel that this is a game we "should win" and comfortabley so!

Thanks again for reading my waffle and I hope that there will be more waffle to come!

Up the Boro

• Like 8
  • Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Look at this graphic. The two bullet points at the bottom are bonkers. People were still complaining back then about the style of play and ‘negative’ football as well.

Riverside Stadium Saturday 18th September 2021 Kick off: 1500hrs. Highlights to be shown on Sky Sports and Quest though possibly some links might appear for live coverage. Introduc

It’s been this way for ever since he’s been at the club. Any team that remotely plays any type of football, and we struggle. It ends up as the following… 1. we can’t control the game. 2. Our defe

Posted Images

I dunno about "worthy of a win" but I think we will see Boro make it 2 on the bounce. Expect a slightly improved version of our win against Forest. Scrappy, disjointed and infuriating at times, but we'll bring home the win.

With Hughton sacking confirmed, will Warnock target Neil Critchley and add further pressure on him?

Lol. You make it sound like NW is some kind of managerial "Terminator" on a mission to end his peers' careers. 

I'd say Critchley is under less pressure, since this is 'Pool's first season back in the 2nd tier. I'd expect their board to be more patient. Obviously another defeat won't help, but I'd imagine they will wait until Christmas at least and see where the club is before making any decision.

What will be your preferred starting 11 taking into account potential injuries?

Tough one. Ideally I'd like to keep the same line-up from the Forest game, to get them used to playing together. But some will likely need resting to avoid fatigue / injuries.

Should be a fair number of away fans. Its quite a trek from the North West to the North East, but still shorter than a trip to the Midlands or London.

Your projected result?

Middlesbrough 2 - 0 Blackpool

They will find playing our first team at the Riverside a very different proposition to playing our reserves at their place.

Edited by AnglianRed

Only 2 changes I would look to make are Bola for Peltier if fit and Payero for Siliki if Siliki strain means he cant do another full game.

Set up 4.3.3 / 4.1.4.1.

Lumley

Dijk Hall Fry Bola

Howson

Tav Crooks Payero Onel

Sporar

• Like 1

Probably not - that is our biggest problem is our inconsistency from game to game.

With Hughton sacking confirmed will Warnock target Neil Critchley and add further pressure on him?

Is there pressure on Critchley? Would seem a little harsh if there was!

Depends who is fit! My ideal team would be:

Lumley

Dijksteel - Fry - McNair - Bola

Payero - Lea-Siliki

Tav - Crooks - Hernandez OR Hernandez - Tav - Jones (I'm happy with either)

Sporar

Probably!

It's all the same!

Your projected result?

1-1

Will we see a Boro performance worthy of a second win on the spin?

You'd hope so, Blackpool are struggling and our starting 11 should be better than theirs. 

I think he'll be okay for a while yet

If Bola isn't fit and Siliki is, I'd name an unchanged line-up.

If not, then Bola in for Peltier and Payero in for Siliki.

I doubt it, I'd expect about 500 or so.

Neither, rock is rancid.

I mentioned in the OP that the last time we beat Blackpool at home was December 2012, little bit of research but the m/d thread is on page 123 makes a good read, so many current members posting and some long forgotten ones as well.

For those who were at the game the starting 11 was Steele, Hoyte, Halliday, Williams, Woodgate, Smallwood, Bailey, Leadbitter, I Miller, McDonald, Emnes.  Subs Leutviller, Juke, Zemmama, Thompson, Luke Williams, Adam Reach and Stuart Parnaby.

Boro won the game 2-1 Big Ish and Smallwood scoring. Tony Mowbray Manager.

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

I mentioned in the OP that the last time we beat Blackpool at home was December 2012, little bit of research but the m/d thread is on page 123 makes a good read, so many current members posting and some long forgotten ones as well.

For those who were at the game the starting 11 was Steele, Hoyte, Halliday, Williams, Woodgate, Smallwood, Bailey, Leadbitter, I Miller, McDonald, Emnes.  Subs Leutviller, Juke, Zemmama, Thompson, Luke Williams, Adam Reach and Stuart Parnaby.

Boro won the game 2-1 Big Ish and Smallwood scoring. Tony Mowbray Manager.

That was a rollercoaster, it was actually 4-2! 

And I was drunkenly posting from Australia, not my finest hour

1 hour ago, Downsouth said:

For those who were at the game the starting 11 was Steele, Hoyte, Halliday, Williams, Woodgate, Smallwood, Bailey, Leadbitter, I Miller, McDonald, Emnes. 

I wonder how many of those players would have got into the starting XI against Forest last night? I'd only say Woody and Leadbitter.

• Like 1

I would say it’s not going to be an easy game as there poor statistic would suggest, why, well look at the team positions in the league Blackpool have lost or drew against, 3rd 4th 6th 9th 12th & 15th they beat Fulham who are top. 
I think we may have a bit of bite rolling on from the last game and I expect us to have a bullying crowd and in the fact  NW doesn’t think we need a back five to win games so I think we will edge it 2-1. 

Siliki was a lot more of a destroyer in the midfield than I was expecting would be quite happy seeing him start with Payero if he's fit. Other than that I'd keep the team much the same for this one. We owe Blackpool one for beating up our kids in the cup.

Didn’t they have their kids out (by and large) too?

24 minutes ago, Foogle said:

Siliki was a lot more of a destroyer in the midfield than I was expecting would be quite happy seeing him start with Payero if he's fit. Other than that I'd keep the team much the same for this one. We owe Blackpool one for beating up our kids in the cup.

• Downsouth changed the title to Boro V Blackpool 1-2 (Tavernier)