• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Look at this graphic. The two bullet points at the bottom are bonkers. People were still complaining back then about the style of play and ‘negative’ football as well.

Riverside Stadium Saturday 18th September 2021 Kick off: 1500hrs. Highlights to be shown on Sky Sports and Quest though possibly some links might appear for live coverage. Introduc

It’s been this way for ever since he’s been at the club. Any team that remotely plays any type of football, and we struggle. It ends up as the following… 1. we can’t control the game. 2. Our defe

Posted Images

I was all for keeping Warnock this season to give promotion ago while going through a "transitional" period with Scott bedding in.

But it's becoming increasingly obvious that we aren't going to even challenge a top 6 place on the evidence of what we've seen so far this season from Warnock, which begs the question of what's the point of him staying as manager?

He's definitely going to go at the end of the season and if he's not going to achieve promotion this season I just don't see the point of him being here! Surely it would make sense to bring in the new guy that Scott sees fit (for example Alex Neil or Eddie Howe) now give them this season as a fee hit to work with the squad so that next season we are ready to challenge.

I hate using this phrase but for me it's time to say Warnock Out!

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, BearSmog said:

Why was left footed Marcus Taverier played at right back when Dijksteel went off and right footed (and very slow) Lee Peltier kept at left back?

Answers on a postcard...

Can't remember Peltier doing much wrong at all today?

Happy to be corrected if I missed something.

2 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Not doubting you as I only caught parts of the match unfortunately but Craig Johns in the Gazette has written:

"Not in my time watching Boro can I remember a side that looked so exciting and penetrative in attack for the first 45 minutes."

Reading the forum doesn't seem to match with that statement mind.  It seems quite at odds with the general comments on here from pretty much everyone.

96800F72-8E23-4A41-AE9C-20F0BCDECBC4.jpeg.ff27e795ca6dc5b1cf56f1a1a16ad81e.jpeg

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Blanco said:

Is Chris Wilder not just a Warnock light? Plenty of big men in a 352 formation was his mantra.

I don't mean this to come out as harsh as it sounds, but that is (was) a lazy trope for his time at Sheffield.

Wilder (and Knill) is a pretty innovative coach, his method of creating overloads in the wide areas, by using "overlapping centre backs" was a big reason they did so well in the PL (1st season). Partly because it was a new style opposition teams had to cope with and partly because they were pretty good at it (honned in the Championship). The injury to O'Connell was massive in their relegation season. 

If you take Wilder's Sheffield team (in 18/19) and compare it to us last season there are some big differences in terms of statistics regarding the respective teams. I'll list the some basic comparisons below (Sheffield on the left, us on the right);

Average Possession

51% - 47.7%

Passing Accuracy

76.1% - 65%

Passes Attempted

20,368 - 14,932

Goals Scored

78 - 55

Obviously those comparisons in isolation aren't the be all and end all, but if you watch some of their games back (from their Championship winning season in particular), the comparison these stats highlight plus what you see is pretty stark.

What's interesting is one of the decision makers at Sheffield (can't remember their specific job title), suggested a big reason in bring Jokanovic in was because he could build upon what Wilder had created stylewise. Rather than have a complete tactical rebrand and wholesale changes to the existing squad, they thought Jokanovic could provide some continuity to the existing style of play and add elements of his own.

Sorry the post ended up being much long than I wanted! 😂

• Like 8
7 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I don't mean this to come out as harsh as it sounds, but that is (was) a lazy trope for his time at Sheffield.

Wilder (and Knill) is a pretty innovative coach, his method of creating overloads in the wide areas, by using "overlapping centre backs" was a big reason they did so well in the PL (1st season). Partly because it was a new style opposition teams had to cope with and partly because they were pretty good at it (honned in the Championship). The injury to O'Connell was massive in their relegation season. 

If you take Wilder's Sheffield team (in 18/19) and compare it to us last season there are some big differences in terms of statistics regarding the respective teams. I'll list the some basic comparisons below (Sheffield on the left, us on the right);

Average Possession

51% - 47.7%

Passing Accuracy

76.1% - 65%

Passes Attempted

20,368 - 14,932

Goals Scored

78 - 55

Obviously those comparisons in isolation aren't the be all and end all, but if you watch some of their games back (from their Championship winning season in particular), the comparison these stats highlight plus what you see is pretty stark.

What's interesting is one of the decision makers at Sheffield (can't remember their specific job title), suggested a big reason in bring Jokanovic in was because he could build upon what Wilder had created stylewise. Rather than have a complete tactical rebrand and wholesale changes to the existing squad, they thought Jokanovic could provide some continuity to the existing style of play and add elements of his own.

Sorry the post ended up being much long than I wanted! 😂

Again @DanFromDownSouthyou are entitled to your opinion but I think that Wilder had some really good players at his time in the championship and definitely played them in a Warnock style. I say Warnock style but the one we have now is not the Warnock of old. He has lost his mojo and doesn’t appear to have a plan at all. I’m usually the last to call for the manager to go but it is sticking out that it has to happen soon. Lampard would be my choice to replace him as I think he would get a lot out of our current squad.

• Like 2

We are perfectly set up for a 4231 and possession based football.

The players we have now are arguably better than the players Karanka had.

Hey, if he came back there would probably be room for Coulson and Spence as well.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, thomas said:

I am not surprised we have lost our identity or are bad at shielding the back. If you look at this window we lost Saville and but more importantly Morsy talk about the beating heart of the team in the middle the guy who always fights and battles back when we lose the ball (very much like Leadbitter). Our identity has been since Mowbray left tight at the back and 2 midfielders sitting protecting the back 4, then try nick the win. Every time we went against that we have struggled see Monk as an fine example. 

Apart from Howson who's legs are going we have none left in cdm and we have average defenders no where near the partnership Gibson and Ayala had, this is why teams are ripping through us we have choices either go like Leeds and go all out attack or we buy a cdm willing to battle back after they loose the ball in January. 

I don't care about losing the ball in January. I'm currently more worried about losing it in September! 🙂