oneBoro Forum

Boro V Blackpool 1-2 (Tavernier)

I agree with @diggerlad07 but at the same time can very much relate to what @Blanco said.

I get same feeling With Warnock as @Blanco I feel he lost his mojo a bit to influence and motivate players. He seems more passive about poor results whereas before there was this real anger when his teams performed poorly and a real motivation to get it right. Now sure if its age which has reduced that drive and hunger.

However, having said that, @diggerlad07 is right. Given the big changes in summer its wise he given more time. I usually judge a managers performance at the November internationals stage as usually by that point we are 1/3 of season through and think that is a good time to assess and form a more balanced viewpoint. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Look at this graphic. The two bullet points at the bottom are bonkers. People were still complaining back then about the style of play and ‘negative’ football as well.

Riverside Stadium Saturday 18th September 2021 Kick off: 1500hrs. Highlights to be shown on Sky Sports and Quest though possibly some links might appear for live coverage. Introduc

It’s been this way for ever since he’s been at the club. Any team that remotely plays any type of football, and we struggle. It ends up as the following… 1. we can’t control the game. 2. Our defe

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

I agree with @diggerlad07 but at the same time can very much relate to what @Blanco said.

I get same feeling With Warnock as @Blanco I feel he lost his mojo a bit to influence and motivate players. He seems more passive about poor results whereas before there was this real anger when his teams performed poorly and a real motivation to get it right. Now sure if its age which has reduced that drive and hunger.

However, having said that, @diggerlad07 is right. Given the big changes in summer its wise he given more time. I usually judge a managers performance at the November internationals stage as usually by that point we are 1/3 of season through and think that is a good time to assess and form a more balanced viewpoint. 

Yeah I'd 100% agree with @Blanco In regards to him losing his Mojo and not being able to motivate players like he used too in the long term but in the short term I think managers like him and allardyce can do that.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AnglianRed said:

If the players don't care, how can we expect them to do the business on the pitch? Possibly they know Warnock will be gone at the end of the season, but that still shouldn't be an excuse. They are professional athletes (supposedly) being paid to do a job.

Maybe the feeling amongst the Players is similar to the Fans at the minute. His tactics are failing repeatedly and belief and support with it. Players must think and feel the same as the rest of us, they can't be immune to the blindingly obvious. Man Marking and getting dragged all over to allow your opponent to exploit the open spaces left must do their heads in as much as ours.

My feelings are it's a bit like being stuck in an Airport trying to get home and your connecting flight has just been delayed by two hours. Deflated and after waiting and hoping you then see a message to go to the Airline desk where you just know you are not going to hear what you want to hear. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, diggerlad07 said:

Fans need to be careful as they were calling out for Pulis to be sacked and look where we ended up with Woodgate.

So was Pulis leaving a bad call because of who came in after? I don't think so. We should be able to manage that entire situation a lot better. Pulis should have gone sooner than he did and we shouldn't have replaced him with Woodgate. The fact we did doesn't change my mind about how we dealt with Pulis. 

• Like 4

I must add I don't really care whether Warnock leaves now or at the end of this season so long as we're still progressing and not holding ourselves back. It's all about how Scott feels, for me. If he thinks Warnock is damaging right now and especially if we have somebody else in mind then we should look to get shot.

26 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Maybe the feeling amongst the Players is similar to the Fans at the minute. His tactics are failing repeatedly and belief and support with it. Players must think and feel the same as the rest of us, they can't be immune to the blindingly obvious. Man Marking and getting dragged all over to allow your opponent to exploit the open spaces left must do their heads in as much as ours.

My feelings are it's a bit like being stuck in an Airport trying to get home and your connecting flight has just been delayed by two hours. Deflated and after waiting and hoping you then see a message to go to the Airline desk where you just know you are not going to hear what you want to hear. 

Fair point. I suppose it can't be easy trying to play in a way you're not comfortable with, or being asked to play out of position, week after week, not being able to form good partnerships with your team mates.

I guess morale & motivation does suffer with poor performances & results.

My concern was also (maybe more) about the players' apparent lack of interest in taking care of themselves, making it even harder to keep up with the demands placed on them during matches and also leaving themselves more susceptible to picking up injures.

Which could just be compounding an already bad situation.

Just speculation on my part, based on that one article, but it might go some way to explaining why we always seem to have a number of players either lacking fitness or unavailable due to injuries.

• Like 1

I’m  worried about the whole meal/breakfast revelation this week. Not only should the players be taking better care of themselves and taking that personal responsibility, what are the club doing? Football players aren’t often the brightest so having the club explain and implement good nutrition is just basic isn’t it? Didn’t we have something else last season about golf - players tiring themselves out or am I misremembering? Not exactly a professional set up is it? 

• Like 1

Yesterday was my first game of the season.  It probably won't be my last.  It wasn't a particularly bad performance.  Had Sporar's woodwork hitting attempt gone in after about 20/25 minutes that would have probably have made for straightforward win.

I watched the warm up which I thought was particularly revealing.  In most cases an animated coach and a group of disinterested players paying little attention doing nothing more than going through the motions.  I was not convinced that "*** Steel" wasn't carrying an injury then.  I've always regarded him as quick but yesterday he seemed  off the pace.

Hernandez and JLS terrific for the first half an hour but then  faded making a case for a change earlier

However as long as Crooks and Tavernier were on the field we had a chance both were brilliant

Putting Uche on for the last 10 was fine if he'd really had a go.  For 10 minutes you can bust a gut.  did he ?  nope

Payero fascinated me.  He looked disinterested but wasn't.  His woodwork strike was unfortunate to put it mildly.  He didn't seem to have looked even.  I'd like to have seen more of him.   He seems to offer a lot and maybe a lot more to come.

Like most refs at this level he was terrible and I don't like to suggest biased but I was left wondering.  I cannot for the life of me understand why throwing a player to the ground is not an immediate red card.  It is not a rugby match and that is clearly intent in my view

and finally thanks to the Blackpool support for all their efforts to encourage their team.  I was surprised and quite impressed

• Like 2

The Ref was very poor and I suspect the "offside" issue concerning our goal maybe left a doubt in his mind and he consciously tried to even things up which made his poor performance even worse.

Having our Manager launch into an apoplectic range during their free kick was distracting to our Players who had switched off and paid the price. While we can blame the Ref for awarding the free kick for a perfectly well timed tackle the responsibility for us switching off was down to the histrionics from the dug out.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Skinemrippers said:

I’m  worried about the whole meal/breakfast revelation this week. Not only should the players be taking better care of themselves and taking that personal responsibility, what are the club doing? Football players aren’t often the brightest so having the club explain and implement good nutrition is just basic isn’t it? Didn’t we have something else last season about golf - players tiring themselves out or am I misremembering? Not exactly a professional set up is it? 

Exactly. I mean I'd have thought this is the kind of stuff players would be learning about from academy level onwards.

If you want to perform to your best, you have to exercise, eat and rest properly. Not exactly rocket science.

I mean you could excuse some of the lads like Olusanya who have come from non-league backgrounds, but all the ones who have been around the Championship and other pro leagues for years should know better.

I'm pretty sure Boro, like most clubs at our level, have nutritionists, sports psychologists, physiotherapists and all manner of staff who are supposed to keep the lads fit and healthy (in mind and body). Something obviously very much awry there.

• Like 1

I think we are reading far too much into Breakfastgate.

NW probably overheard a changing room conversation about not getting up until mid day, put two and two together and "voila" another ready made deflection to keep handy. I'm sure Boro are not unique in the habits of young men and their sleep patterns and meal regimen.

• Like 3

To be honest this idea that Neil Warnock is trying to put across of 'unprofessional' habits which he's picking up 2 years into the job really doesn't wash with me, he used to give his QPR and Cardiff players international breaks off if they got him a couple of wins beforehand and he let Taarabt play games he wanted to play and let him turn up once a week for training.

He also allowed Paddy Kenny to skip training Sunday-Thursday because he didn't want him travelling down the M1 every day for QPR training, so the notion that Warnock and Craig short are trying to put in place some ultra-professional training regime seems like utter *** to me.

• Like 8

I honestly don’t see the point in ‘giving time’. 
we’ve got a good team any competent manager would have us midtable pretty comfortably and we can continue the building where everyone is on the same page.

I still think lampard would be a good fit, he would be obtainable and put us back on the map a bit like Karanka did. Also reopening the doors for possible good loan deals. The only worry I have with him is how quick they dropped off once mount and the lad at Leicester went. Understandable as they were class players but were they making him look better than he is or did he do well to get the best from them?

I do feel gibson will try the ambitious move to get Howe, he would be a good fit with what we have, not having to add too much to the team to get at least get going.

I do think we will end up with an unexpected manager though, I think Scott will use all kind of data and stats to identify the right guy. I just hope we don’t have to wait until the end of the season to bring him in, as things are going now I can see us going back to the November ‘mutual agreement’ from the good old days.

32 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

To be honest this idea that Neil Warnock is trying to put across of 'unprofessional' habits which he's picking up 2 years into the job really doesn't wash with me, he used to give his QPR and Cardiff players international breaks off if they got him a couple of wins beforehand and he let Taarabt play games he wanted to play and let him turn up once a week for training.

He also allowed Paddy Kenny to skip training Sunday-Thursday because he didn't want him travelling down the M1 every day for QPR training, so the notion that Warnock and Craig short are trying to put in place some ultra-professional training regime seems like utter *** to me.

Well its horses for courses, isn't it?

Maybe they had better working relationships with their players at those clubs. Maybe those players were more disciplined and could be trusted to look after themselves when they weren't in training?

Maybe they tried the same approach at Boro and have found its not working? 🤷‍♂️

I guess you have to be somewhat flexible with players if they don't live locally. But they still have to do the right things to make sure they are fit and available to play when needed.

As I said we don't know whats going on behind the scenes and undoubtedly Warnock's tactics and how he is using the players is a big part of the problem. But if the players aren't doing what they should be to look after themselves, then it can't be helping.

• Like 1