oneBoro Forum

Boro V Blackpool 1-2 (Tavernier)

Sounds like Warnock has pulled off a real masterstroke with his "Breakfastgate" scandal. I wonder if this is how "bait box" got its name?

Nothing like deflecting attention away from his own inadequacies once he has ran out of Referees to berate or even Dressing Rooms to blame. We don't know who the alleged players were, we don't know how many times they have done it, was it a one off, a regular occurrence, were they playing that day, are they even in the first team squad. We don't even know if any of it is true or if it's just a c0ck & bull story.

I'm waiting for it to be two 13 year olds from the Academy. There are players of a certain faith that actually fast during certain times for religious reasons yet play top level football yet I don't hear a clamour for them to be dropped by their respective clubs or fans nor do I hear excuses being trotted out.

• Like 1
  • Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Look at this graphic. The two bullet points at the bottom are bonkers. People were still complaining back then about the style of play and ‘negative’ football as well.

Riverside Stadium Saturday 18th September 2021 Kick off: 1500hrs. Highlights to be shown on Sky Sports and Quest though possibly some links might appear for live coverage. Introduc

It’s been this way for ever since he’s been at the club. Any team that remotely plays any type of football, and we struggle. It ends up as the following… 1. we can’t control the game. 2. Our defe

Posted Images

RR  I'm guessing that the two main fasting groups are Muslims and Jews.  I'm not sure there are many of either in the professional game.  However if there is an issue it can be solved by adjusting the fuelling and maybe also the training to accommodate the religious needs.  Think about Gary Mabbutt who was an injecting diabetic playing pro football.  To achieve a career in pro football he had to get his fuelling right

It is completely different to skipping designed fuelling schedules

What I'm trying to figure out is who is the least professional/sloppy, Management or Players  Who is most likely to be at fault, if you like. 

We are all human beings and we all know Brian Clough saying the unpopular but often accurate things that the Establishment didn't want to hear.  When one of the lads who had travelled was to be left out he was inclined to tell him merely that he could have chips today with his pre match meal.  Copping out ? softening the blow?

See above  for the Ronaldo attitude to being the best he could possibly be.  Thinking that attitude/ mentality is lacking in some of our players would seem to be accurate. 

How is the management supposed to get the best out of people who don't want to be the best they can possibly be.

3 minutes ago, Rishworthian said:

RR  I'm guessing that the two main fasting groups are Muslims and Jews.  I'm not sure there are many of either in the professional game.  However if there is an issue it can be solved by adjusting the fuelling and maybe also the training to accommodate the religious needs.  Think about Gary Mabbutt who was an injecting diabetic playing pro football.  To achieve a career in pro football he had to get his fuelling right

It is completely different to skipping designed fuelling schedules

What I'm trying to figure out is who is the least professional/sloppy, Management or Players  Who is most likely to be at fault, if you like. 

We are all human beings and we all know Brian Clough saying the unpopular but often accurate things that the Establishment didn't want to hear.  When one of the lads who had travelled was to be left out he was inclined to tell him merely that he could have chips today with his pre match meal.  Copping out ? softening the blow?

See above  for the Ronaldo attitude to being the best he could possibly be.  Thinking that attitude/ mentality is lacking in some of our players would seem to be accurate. 

How is the management supposed to get the best out of people who don't want to be the best they can possibly be.

Think there's quite a lot of Muslims in the professional game actually. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

27% of Africa is Muslim, of course there are loads of Muslims in the professional game.

Mo Salah, Paul Pogba, Riyad Mahrez, Hakim Ziyech are just a few that spring to mind, all of whom played or are still playing in the Premier League

I think about a third of the 2018 France World Cup winning team were Muslim.

Just at Middlesbrough, we've had Gestede, Morsy, Guedioura, Bamba, Besic and Traore who were Muslim in the last 5 years.

That's only the ones I can think of off the top of my head too.

Sounds like I under estimated the Muslim contingent a bit but the point is still the same if you know what they need to do you can plan accordingly.  It might not be ideal but as long as you have a plan and it is adhered to then you have done the best you can.

If you have a plan and it is ignored it is sloppy at best and at worst,  unprofessional

36 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Can't be easy to cope with fasting during Ramadan...but I'm guessing there are ways, otherwise there would be far fewer Muslim athletes.

Having lived and worked in Asia (Dubai) for 34 years I can vouch Ramadan is upheld by many and they still go about there work, well more now then ever. There was a time when food outlets closed before sunset to help calm temptation but recently they are open as usual, and even alcohol. Just be aware and show some respect and it's fine. The middle east celebrates many cultural festivals and just recently, Jewish.. 

I have recently heard they may be changing Friday weekend to coincide with the western world. Actually when I first went to Dubai it was actually a Saturday. Obviously this has a lot to do with business. 

The idea that all Muslim must fast during the Holy month is incorrect as they can fast at a given time more suitable. These could include travel, pregnancy, medial reasons and a host of others. However as its one of five pillars of Islam one really should adhere.. 

The point being it cannot be made an excuse..   

https://www.zakat.org/valid-exemptions-for-not-fasting-ramadan

Edited by sanddancer
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, TeaCider24 said:

I think about a third of the 2018 France World Cup winning team were Muslim.

Just at Middlesbrough, we've had Gestede, Morsy, Guedioura, Bamba, Besic and Traore who were Muslim in the last 5 years.

That's only the ones I can think of off the top of my head too.

There was Zemmama as well during Mowbray's time. I seem to recall  Mogga using him sparingly during Ramadan because of him fasting or did I just imagine that?

8 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I think fasting during Ramadan is light years away from just skipping Breakfast!

Well yeah. One is observing religious doctrine while the other is just laziness! 😁 But I was thinking it must be far more difficult to fast during daylight hours, for a prolonged period of time, while still maintaining pro footballer levels of fitness.

But as Sanddancer explained, there is some flexibility for people in certain situations where it may not be practical.

7 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

Having lived and worked in Asia (Dubai) for 34 years I can vouch Ramadan is upheld by many and they still go about there work, well more now then ever. There was a time when food outlets closed before sunset to help calm temptation but recently they are open as usual, and even alcohol. Just be aware and show some respect and it's fine. The middle east celebrates many cultural festivals and just recently, Jewish.. 

I have recently heard they may be changing Friday weekend to coincide with the western world. Actually when I first went to Dubai it was actually a Saturday. Obviously this has a lot to do with business. 

The idea that a Muslim must fast during the Holy month is incorrect as they can fast at a given time more suitable. These could include travel, pregnancy, medial reasons and a host of others. 

Thanks for clearing that up. I was not aware of this. 👍

24 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Well yeah. One is observing religious doctrine while the other is just laziness! 😁 But I was thinking it must be far more difficult to fast during daylight hours, for a prolonged period of time, while still maintaining pro footballer levels of fitness.

But as Sanddancer explained, there is some flexibility for people in certain situations where it may not be practical.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was not aware of this. 👍

I think I remember reading that you are allowed to eat at different times or something like that if it effects your work.

• Thanks 1