oneBoro Forum

Boro V Blackpool 1-2 (Tavernier)

32 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

We desperately need someone who can set this team up (like AK did). There’s some good players in there but there seems to be no system or plan. 

I am really surprised by how poor we are at the back and in providing a shield for the defence. I would have thought that we would look to build from clean sheets but we are just too easy to score past.

There are times where it reminds me of Mogga’s last year in charge.

Two points here for me. Warnock man marking Anderson with Dijksteel is fine until Anderson realises Dijksteel is literally going to follow him everywhere. This resulted in Tav having to drop in to cover and this severely restricted Tav’s threat. It also pulls the defensive unit all over the place and creates huge holes which Blackpool lapped up.

The lack of protection the midfield provided to the defence was horrifying in the second half especially and @GrimsbyBoro touched on it. Blackpool runners broke through the defence far too easily, intercepted bad passes or won the second ball at a canter. This was due to the midfield being really sloppy on the ball, the team being very disjointed and lacking real shape but also because our midfielders were hiding from the ball. That lack of responsibility is worrying.

I get the impression that Warnock just doesn’t know how to set this squad up effectively. A bit of that and also a bit of new players settling in if I’m going to be fair and balanced. 

I’m sticking with an 8-12 place finish this season. 

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Look at this graphic. The two bullet points at the bottom are bonkers. People were still complaining back then about the style of play and ‘negative’ football as well.

Riverside Stadium Saturday 18th September 2021 Kick off: 1500hrs. Highlights to be shown on Sky Sports and Quest though possibly some links might appear for live coverage. Introduc

It’s been this way for ever since he’s been at the club. Any team that remotely plays any type of football, and we struggle. It ends up as the following… 1. we can’t control the game. 2. Our defe

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Not doubting you as I only caught parts of the match unfortunately but Craig Johns in the Gazette has written:

"Not in my time watching Boro can I remember a side that looked so exciting and penetrative in attack for the first 45 minutes."

Reading the forum doesn't seem to match with that statement mind.  It seems quite at odds with the general comments on here from pretty much everyone.

We were decent first 45 minutes but that comment from Craig John is excessive.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I loved the time under Karanka, but having the most clean sheets and conceding the fewest goals doesn't prove that the football isn't negative.

We were only 8th in goals scored despite spending the most in the division (bar Derby, who are now paying for it) and going up automatically.

I'd probably still have him back, but it was rarely thrilling to watch.

No one should have even been remotely complaining after looking at them stats though. We aren’t Barca or City. He made us efficient, solid, consistent and clinical…everything we aren’t now. We could at least dictate play and control the game. I miss it. 

• Like 2

Whoever the new manager is I would expect it to be someone like Critchley the Blackpool manager - a young coach who has been working at a top club as as an assistant or youth coach. That is the way forward - as we did with Karanka. 

Hopefully Scott convinces Gibson to move sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

We desperately need someone who can set this team up (like AK did). There’s some good players in there but there seems to be no system or plan. 

I am really surprised by how poor we are at the back and in providing a shield for the defence. I would have thought that we would look to build from clean sheets but we are just too easy to score past.

There are times where it reminds me of Mogga’s last year in charge.

I am not surprised we have lost our identity or are bad at shielding the back. If you look at this window we lost Saville and but more importantly Morsy talk about the beating heart of the team in the middle the guy who always fights and battles back when we lose the ball (very much like Leadbitter). Our identity has been since Mowbray left tight at the back and 2 midfielders sitting protecting the back 4, then try nick the win. Every time we went against that we have struggled see Monk as an fine example. 

Apart from Howson who's legs are going we have none left in cdm and we have average defenders no where near the partnership Gibson and Ayala had, this is why teams are ripping through us we have choices either go like Leeds and go all out attack or we buy a cdm willing to battle back after they loose the ball in January. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, thomas said:

I am not surprised we have lost our identity or are bad at shielding the back. If you look at this window we lost Saville and but more importantly Morsy talk about the beating heart of the team in the middle the guy who always fights and battles back when we lose the ball (very much like Leadbitter). Our identity has been since Mowbray left tight at the back and 2 midfielders sitting protecting the back 4, then try nick the win. Every time we went against that we have struggled see Monk as an fine example. 

Apart from Howson who's legs are going we have none left in cdm and we have average defenders no where near the partnership Gibson and Ayala had, this is why teams are ripping through us we have choices either go like Leeds and go all out attack or we buy a cdm willing to battle back after they loose the ball in January. 

Morsy and saville were both in the team that finished last season attrociously and they were not good for us last season. Need to let this one go mate, they're not the reason we're so bad 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, thomas said:

I am not surprised we have lost our identity or are bad at shielding the back. If you look at this window we lost Saville and but more importantly Morsy talk about the beating heart of the team in the middle the guy who always fights and battles back when we lose the ball (very much like Leadbitter). 

You were clearly watching a different Morsey to me.  A bang average midfielder, who has probably found his level at League 1.  Heart of the team?  Never.

5 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Morsy and saville were both in the team that finished last season attrociously and they were not good for us last season. Need to let this one go mate, they're not the reason we're so bad 

I dont accept they were the biggest problem last season, our problem last season in my eyes was we did not have a striker in the club who wanted to be here and/or keep fit and we had a keeper who couldn't keep a shot out. Fully accept both of them were ultimately warnocks fault for not insisting we get a striker in and playing Betenelli. 

Of course the confidence was going to get dented by them 2 things with everyone else. 

I want to see Jones, Tav and Hernandez behind Sporar.

Forget Warnock giving it “Sporar can’t play on his own without Crooks winning the aerial battles for him” Keep the ball on floor and those lads will thrive. We always look a better team going forward when we try to play instead of Hoof-ball.

• Like 2

Read NW comments and let’s face it he has said the same many times all last season and this. That’s the point he just not get it, he can’t see the game we see, why, does he not review footage, does he not read fans comments, can he not hear the crowd. He actually enjoyed the game today which is not something I would have said after the crowd left before the game ended and the booing at the end from those left. 
Others as I have have stated you can’t have everyone man marking. It’s simple to read and you move and bring your marker with you allowing someone else the benefit of space. Typical today as we seen again our mid where dragged out of position. Saying that our midfield where absent and hiding from the ball. 
We could not make logical decisions, slowing play, dribbling instead of passing, oh it’s all been said, why repeat it all.