Jump to content
oneBoro Forum

Boro V Blackpool 1-2 (Tavernier)


Recommended Posts

Fully deflated (again) after that on Saturday.  Rollercoaster of emotions and glimpses of some good play from our new guys.

I look at NW and his 2 backroom staff and just put my head in my hands, they are not progressive at all.  I honestly do not know what we need, I don't think he will walk as he has too much pride.

The appointment of Scott is an exciting one but do we really know how much influence he will have at this stage?  I'd like to think he is already looking at a replacement.  The other thing is, if I have handed my notice in and am working my notice I do slack off a bit, everyone does naturally.  NW is passionate but at the end of the day does he really care?  He knows he is going at some point, we should never have had him in for this season, especially if we knew Scott was coming in.  It's just throwing a season away.  Long term it's exciting but 'the now' is rubbish, it has been for a while now.  

Fingers crossed we are doing the work in the background!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Look at this graphic. The two bullet points at the bottom are bonkers. People were still complaining back then about the style of play and ‘negative’ football as well.

Riverside Stadium Saturday 18th September 2021 Kick off: 1500hrs. Highlights to be shown on Sky Sports and Quest though possibly some links might appear for live coverage. Introduc

It’s been this way for ever since he’s been at the club. Any team that remotely plays any type of football, and we struggle. It ends up as the following… 1. we can’t control the game. 2. Our defe

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Just looking at the next 3 fixtures, we've got Reading away which will be tough, Sheffield United at home and then Hull away. 

I think Warnock needs not only points but also a pretty big improvement in performances in those 3 games. 

Another poor performance in the next home game and God forbid a defeat at Hull then I think the writing is on the wall for him. 

We've got the international break after that and it feels like a time where we might have to make some decisions as a club. 

I never expected us to sack Warnock this season but I think he's going to be under serious pressure soon unless things improve. 


Minimum expectation with the signings surely has to be the play offs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Johnmfc81 said:

I'm sure there won't be a knee jerk reaction, Scott and Gibson will likely be in discussions about the future manager anyway, so I doubt they will just sack without atleast looked at a succession plan.

Everyone assumes we are in discussion with a new manager, I don't think we are, well not right now and the plan was to continue the season and get a better idea of where we may be. This of course could dictate the quality of manager needed. I also don't think there is very likely to be a knee jerk reaction based on historical data and NW will be given X amount of games to turn it around. I am not saying this will not kick start a search for a replacement but at what level is debatable.

Two things can happen. NW turns things around and we end up outside the playoffs.  I say the playoffs because there is far too much ground to make up and maintain a very good run in the space of time between now and the end of the season.  We are hardly likely going to get automatic promotion and a playoff is fraught with danger. The second. A manager is sourced to make sure we survive and we end up with mid-table. 

Which ever way you look at the situation we will lose players and it will be na on impossible to attract any class players next season. Well, bar paying ridiculous wages and I can t see that happening. 

Just out of interest SKY has us down in 9th place at 11/1 for promotion. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

Everyone assumes we are in discussion with a new manager, I don't think we are, well not right now and the plan was to continue the season and get a better idea of where we may be. This of course could dictate the quality of manager needed. I also don't think there is very likely to be a knee jerk reaction based on historical data and NW will be given X amount of games to turn it around. I am not saying this will not kick start a search for a replacement but at what level is debatable.

Two things can happen. NW turns things around and we end up outside the playoffs.  I say the playoffs because there is far too much ground to make up and maintain a very good run in the space of time between now and the end of the season.  We are hardly likely going to get automatic promotion and a playoff is fraught with danger. The second. A manager is sourced to make sure we survive and we end up with mid-table. 

Which ever way you look at the situation we will lose players and it will be na on impossible to attract any class players next season. Well, bar paying ridiculous wages and I can t see that happening. 

Just out of interest SKY has us down in 9th place at 11/1 for promotion. 

 

Yea sorry just to be clear I said "will likely be in discussions about the future manager" not with a future manager. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rishworthian said:

There are a lot of people wanting to sack Warnock every time we lose.  He even gets blamed for some of the guys not eating properly.

WE are paying these guys at least £150,000 a year to play football.  Dream job for millions of people ?  sure is but we arn't good enough.  I could manage to eat properly for that sort of money.

And if some one wants to give me a bollocking for not doing what he thinks is my job then on £3,000 per week I can take that

A number of them will be on significantly more than that and if any of them can't cope for that sort of money then I'm sorry but in my book they should be busting a gut to do it all, every day and every minute on the field on a match day

I might add that some of them are  and they deserve a medal for carrying those who don't or can't

It is not all Warnock's fault.  Some of our players need to have a look at themselves

 

The breakfast thing was just another distraction. I don't think anyone seriously believes the reason we were soo poor at Coventry was because 4 lads didn't have their breakfast.

It's a game of small margins at the top levels of the game and when you're getting your team set up wrong, it makes a differene. I said it before, i honestly dont think Warnock knows how to get the best out of these players.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sanddancer said:

Everyone assumes we are in discussion with a new manager, I don't think we are, well not right now and the plan was to continue the season and get a better idea of where we may be. This of course could dictate the quality of manager needed. I also don't think there is very likely to be a knee jerk reaction based on historical data and NW will be given X amount of games to turn it around. I am not saying this will not kick start a search for a replacement but at what level is debatable.

Two things can happen. NW turns things around and we end up outside the playoffs.  I say the playoffs because there is far too much ground to make up and maintain a very good run in the space of time between now and the end of the season.  We are hardly likely going to get automatic promotion and a playoff is fraught with danger. The second. A manager is sourced to make sure we survive and we end up with mid-table. 

Which ever way you look at the situation we will lose players and it will be na on impossible to attract any class players next season. Well, bar paying ridiculous wages and I can t see that happening. 

Just out of interest SKY has us down in 9th place at 11/1 for promotion. 

 

I would hope we are at least in discussion with a new manager (or a few prospective candidates) by January / February, so the club is in a position to make a formal announcement by the end of the season.

IMO the only way Warnock turns things around is if we are somehow in a Mike Bassett type film where things actually work out.

It may be too early for talks at the moment, but I sure as hell hope Gibson and Scott have been putting their heads together to draw up a shortlist of people they would like to talk to.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Warnock going at the end of the season is the worst kept secret in boro, I have no doubts at all weve at the very least been talking to agents and narrowing down our list. Plus if Scott was already dropping player names through the summer then he’s definately done the same with managers aswell.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Humpty, I have some sympathy with your view.  Fuelling in top level sport is now important.  As an example Frome when he won the Giro a year or two ago could only ingest and use 90/900 gs what ever the number was of carbs an hour.  The team was set up to make sure he got that amount and no more.

It seems unlikely that guys skipping breakfast alone would have that effect and I too doubt that the Boro's intakes are that finely calculated  ........   but they might be.

It is an example of guys paid a lot of money being sloppy and unprofessional.  That is the real message

Warm ups are often treated as a joke.  I did take it up with Loughborough a year or thee ago now and they referred me to the original research at I think it was Malmo university.  There is no doubt a good and thorough warm up gives an advantage.  It is also an aid to avoiding injurys believe it or not

Like most clubs at our level the warm up is regarded as a joke item which is another example of sloppiness and unprofessionalism

I'll allow you to make your own choice as to whether that is down to the management or the players

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I know pro footballers aren't kids but if your players aren't sticking to conditioning routines then why don't the coaching staff know about it before they get onto the pitch? Warnock alluded to what, four players who didn't match up to the standards necessary? So how did they get into his team? Why is he essentially finding that out after we've lost 2-0?

You don't have to kick players out of bed and march them to their breakfast to demand the right level of professionalism from players, if that's what's necessary then they're not worth the time and they need to sort themselves out. But there are definitely ways you can go about getting them to do it without physically forcing them. Like hey, maybe not picking the players who don't bother?

After all, that's apparently a good enough excuse to blame us losing a game over. Maybe if the manager and his coaching staff had a handle on this, they could avoid having to bring it up as an excuse after the fact.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Rishworthian said:

Humpty, I have some sympathy with your view.  Fuelling in top level sport is now important.  As an example Frome when he won the Giro a year or two ago could only ingest and use 90/900 gs what ever the number was of carbs an hour.  The team was set up to make sure he got that amount and no more.

It seems unlikely that guys skipping breakfast alone would have that effect and I too doubt that the Boro's intakes are that finely calculated  ........   but they might be.

It is an example of guys paid a lot of money being sloppy and unprofessional.  That is the real message

Warm ups are often treated as a joke.  I did take it up with Loughborough a year or thee ago now and they referred me to the original research at I think it was Malmo university.  There is no doubt a good and thorough warm up gives an advantage.  It is also an aid to avoiding injurys believe it or not

Like most clubs at our level the warm up is regarded as a joke item which is another example of sloppiness and unprofessionalism

I'll allow you to make your own choice as to whether that is down to the management or the players

A more pertinent example might be Cristiano Ronaldo.

While I personally can't stand the guy, its hard to argue with what he's achieved over his career.

More importantly, most people who have worked with him speak very highly of his work ethic, his commitment to training and maintaining himself in the best shape possible.

And this is a player who's already won just about everything there is to win in the sport (apart from the two biggies).

Its why he's still sought after by the world's top clubs, even at his age.

 

Okay, none of our lot will ever be anywhere near his level, but they could do a lot worse in terms of a role model.

 

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

A more pertinent example might be Cristiano Ronaldo.

While I personally can't stand the guy, its hard to argue with what he's achieved over his career.

More importantly, most people who have worked with him speak very highly of his work ethic, his commitment to training and maintaining himself in the best shape possible.

And this is a player who's already won just about everything there is to win in the sport.

Its why he's still sought after by the world's top clubs, even at his age.

 

Okay, none of our lot will ever be anywhere near his level, but they could do a lot worse in terms of a role model.

 

I was thinking exactly the same thing, mate. If our players want to have a long career in the game at any level, they'd do well to look at his example and see what they can apply to themselves. Even just following the plans we have for them is a good start to show they take that part of their development seriously. If they can't even stick to that then I can't imagine they'll have a great future in the game.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rishworthian said:

Humpty, I have some sympathy with your view.  Fuelling in top level sport is now important.  As an example Frome when he won the Giro a year or two ago could only ingest and use 90/900 gs what ever the number was of carbs an hour.  The team was set up to make sure he got that amount and no more.

It seems unlikely that guys skipping breakfast alone would have that effect and I too doubt that the Boro's intakes are that finely calculated  ........   but they might be.

It is an example of guys paid a lot of money being sloppy and unprofessional.  That is the real message

Warm ups are often treated as a joke.  I did take it up with Loughborough a year or thee ago now and they referred me to the original research at I think it was Malmo university.  There is no doubt a good and thorough warm up gives an advantage.  It is also an aid to avoiding injurys believe it or not

Like most clubs at our level the warm up is regarded as a joke item which is another example of sloppiness and unprofessionalism

I'll allow you to make your own choice as to whether that is down to the management or the players

A refreshing view on the probable dilemma at the club and player attitude. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

A more pertinent example might be Cristiano Ronaldo.

While I personally can't stand the guy, its hard to argue with what he's achieved over his career.

More importantly, most people who have worked with him speak very highly of his work ethic, his commitment to training and maintaining himself in the best shape possible.

And this is a player who's already won just about everything there is to win in the sport (apart from the two biggies).

Its why he's still sought after by the world's top clubs, even at his age.

 

Okay, none of our lot will ever be anywhere near his level, but they could do a lot worse in terms of a role model.

 

I believe every paid amateur or professional owes it to themselves to be at the peak of there personal ability. It’s no different then turning up to work and tossing it off day in day out and expecting to get paid and retain your job. I’m sure the staff would let you and your superior know they are not going to carry dead weight, as I’m sure your superior will be having word with you. If performance data on players is recorded, which I would expect as a KPI, then why haven’t the coach’s picked up on the slackers and took action?  
On the subject of fitness are they doing there part to maintain or improve fitness or do they see it as a job of the club and only during working hours? If it is the case then it’s unprofessional. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Johnmfc81 said:

Yea sorry just to be clear I said "will likely be in discussions about the future manager" not with a future manager. 

I should have probably wrote “ many assume “ or “ a majority “ I apologise. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Latest Posts

    • I thought we won some kind of award a few years ago?  Might have been medical rather than sports science, mind.
    • What a signing this lad is turning out to be.    
    • Honestly I might be totally naive but I've never heard of this until today, has it been reported in the press, or is it something you need to be ITK to be be aware of?   We've all criticised the club for recruitment as it has looked poor from the outside looking in but I wasn't aware of an amateurish sports science department. I'm not trying to have an argument I've just never heard this before. 
    • I'm not sure how relevant having access to information is quite honestly. What information do you think would change people's minds about homosexuality?  Is there any that could suddenly take someone from 'I hate it' to 'I think it's fine'?  I'm not so sure?  There's plenty of people in this country who don't like homosexuality, and as I said, it wasn't that long ago that it was illegal here.  As I also said, it is a religious thing.  Even in this country it was essentially illegal because the dominant religion here held that it was wrong.  The difference isn't that we are more enlightened, I think it's just that we are less religious, and this secularism, especially in newer generations, is what is removing the stigma attached to homosexuality.  I don't believe it is ignorance and it's too easy to label it as such.  They know exactly why they believe what they do. 
    • We've had 2 old school managers in quick succession, I'd guess some moved on due to lack of input.

×
×
  • Create New...