oneBoro Forum

Boro v Sheffield United 2-0 (Watmore, McNair)

On 9/27/2021 at 9:53 AM, TeaCider24 said:

Of course it matters how you get results.

We beat Forest despite playing poorly because Forest were awful, and we were then shown up in the next two matches.

If their 3 wins in 4 were against very poor sides in and around the relegation zone, and they struggled against one of them with a man advantage, then it might be a sign that they're not actually that good.

I'm fairly sure they'll finish above us this season, as you'd expect with their squad and manager, but I'm not overly threatened by their recent results.

I think this holds up still.

We were rarely seriously threatened and could have extended our lead.

They didn't look great.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't honestly understand how a midfielder like Payero is meant to perform when he doesn't get the ball. To both @KeithLambsFaxMachine and @TeaCider24, I didn't have Payero down as performing p

Slightly surprised at how chipper people seem to be after last night.  Not in terms of the result obviously, but the game was much like any other we've had since Warnock has been here.  You'd think af

It must be really tough on Payero. A Young lad thousands of miles away from family and friends and from all the familiar things he grew up with, even the smells of Cooking that will all be different t

Posted Images

Man to man marking dropped for tonight, hopefully it continues. Players looked like they had a new lease of life, despite othee responsibilities of tracking back etc. Never really looked troubled 👍

• Like 1

My favourite bit of the match was when Bola played pinball with two Sheffield defenders in the first half. He kicked it at one, it pinged off him, smacked the other one in the face, then fell back at Bola's feet 😄

• Haha 3

Great performance tonight but despite a cracking performance and three points I’m still hugely concerned…

Was worrying to hear the managers interview and media conference.  

He talks about moving forward by playing what he knows and doing it his way.  So why has he not been doing that so far?  Who is putting pressure on him to play new signings if he isn’t wanting to?  

All feels disjointed to me.  

I personally believe a manager should have free reign to pick the team he wants to.   But then why are we signing players that he clearly doesn’t want.  It doesn’t add up to me.

My biggest worry though is him throwing people under the bus.  He continuously calls people and i personally dont like it and don’t think it will work in our favour.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Youngy228 said:

Great performance tonight but despite a cracking performance and three points I’m still hugely concerned…

Was worrying to hear the managers interview and media conference.  

He talks about moving forward by playing what he knows and doing it his way.  So why has he not been doing that so far?  Who is putting pressure on him to play new signings if he isn’t wanting to?  

All feels disjointed to me.  

I personally believe a manager should have free reign to pick the team he wants to.   But then why are we signing players that he clearly doesn’t want.  It doesn’t add up to me.

My biggest worry though is him throwing people under the bus.  He continuously calls people and i personally dont like it and don’t think it will work in our favour.

Because behind the scenes we're preparing for life beyond NW in a world run by Scott and it's causing some friction at the minute.

• Like 4

Don't scream and shout about it but we actually played well tonight. Bamba was a clear man of the match, Lumley also played very well for the 2nd game running.

And if you have to say it... the midfield worked. Of course, it helps when they're getting on the ball and able to play. All 3 of our midfielders tonight had a similar number of touches, similar number of passes. Compare that to the weekend when Crooks and Payero had nowt of the game because we didn't even bother involving them.

We didn't have a great deal of possession compared to them as you'd expect, they're one of those fancy passing sides that @Blancocan't stand. They move the ball a lot, they try to pass quick and often, round the corner, between the gaps. Their problem wasn't getting to our box or around it though, they had enough chances to score. It was that when they did, they either couldn't finish or Bamba/Lumley made a block/save.

This probably saves Warnock's job for the foreseeable. I felt very odd about that given the week we've had, winning didn't feel as good to me and I'm not usually like that at the game. A win is always a positive thing and I should have been celebrating with a little more conviction but part of me had royally had enough and was willing to accept a loss tonight to see if it would allow us to move on.

• Like 2

Oh and one other thing I picked up on tonight, I don't know if anyone else saw it. But Payero looks so done.

When he was coming out to warm up he looked completely unenthusiastic. I know some players just don't do that much but he wasn't even doing anything really, just sat watching the game.

At half time, he came out to do the warm ups with Jepson and again looked defeated. His body language was that of a broken man. At one point, he stopped before doing his last sprint just to hit a nearby ball towards goal seemingly for the sake of kicking a ball.

Then he completely disappeared. The other lads stayed out pretty much until the teams came out, just passing the balls about. Payero walked off and only appeared again just before the end of half time. Maybe it was a nature calls moment? Or maybe he genuinely is broken? It might be nothing but he just looked lonely and defeated, it was really sad.

• Sad 2
19 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Reading Sheff Utd's forum they seem to think Adlène Guedioura would have been the answer tonight.

Really? 

REALLY?

I hope you applauded him during his warm up as the Boro legend that he is.

• Haha 2

Good win tonight. Challenge now is to carry it on and find some consistency - something that has eluded Neil so far. As far as I’m aware, we only managed to win 3 games in a row once last season and were stupidly inconsistent from January onwards. I won’t be holding my breath but hope to be proven wrong utfb

• Like 1

I’m still confused by Warnock implying that he’s not been allowed to pick the team he wants, with an obvious focus on the lads brought in from oversees. Payero has started ONE match, JLS two, are they really the reason we had only won 2 matches in 9? Even the Northern Echo running with that narrative now. It’s simply not true. 

I feel very sad for Payero 

• Like 3

It must be really tough on Payero. A Young lad thousands of miles away from family and friends and from all the familiar things he grew up with, even the smells of Cooking that will all be different to be stuck somewhere where things aren't working for him the way he would have dreamt.  I hope that the Club (and the Manager) have the sense to recognise this and are helping him to integrate into his new surroundings before he sinks into a dark place.

The lad clearly has skill but I know when I was his age I was given a great Job opportunity in the East end of London and walked away from it for those very reasons. The money became irrelevant when you had no mates and no family around to go for a pint with or have a laugh and every night and weekend was back to the bedsit watching the Telly or sat in the Pub killing time. In the end I decided that no amount was worth it and packed it all in. In hindsight it was a huge mistake career wise but I also feel that given what I know today I would have still done the same thing. There is more to life than money.

• Like 8

Got to say the atmosphere was electric from the first whistle last night which surprised me given that the majority of fans seem to want Warnock out and there was still a Warnock chant in the 2nd half.

I'm stuck on weather the majority of fans are still behind Warnock or not - either way, the atmosphere i was proud of last night.

On performance, it was a extremely pleasing performance and brilliant result. Yes, there was times when Sheff utd had the majority of possession and cut us open easily (mainly down our right hand side), but i felt we dealt with the occasion extremely well and all players stood and put in a shift which is the bare minimum.

McNair, Crooks and Howson set the tone extremely early with crunching tackles on fleck and Norwood and it put us in good stead.

Before kick off i was worried with that starting line up and formation when i heard Tav at RWB but it worked last night, however personally i think that result and personnel formation shouldn't be a long term plan.

Bamba was excellent and a complete leader. Dominant performance but also vocally he managed Fry throughout the game, its just a massive shame given his age that we are going to have to manage how many games he plays because he cant keep that standard up 3 times a week. 

I am trying to keep away from negatives and hopefully last night's performance can be followed up by a good result again on Saturday going into the international break.

Personally feel sorry for Payero and Siliki as they are not the problem, but its hard to complain when we get the result.

Well done to all players and coaching staff last night. 

PS I wonder if Leo has stopped sulking after he was ridiculed from the 'Warnock show' in the 1st half. 

• Like 2