oneBoro Forum

Team Formation

This the problem it's chaotic , no shape at all, one issue is Crooks ,what is his position, not a defensive midfielder, creater, wide man, terrible at a ten, he's continually out of any position on the field and leaves a gap in the middle, Silliki the same leaves gaps , Tavernier hasn't got speed off the mark for a winger,rarerly goes past a fullback,

Big problems , this not a Warnock team ,why?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Neil Warnock.

We continue to discuss the formation and keeping ‘shape’ - probably the most important aspect of being defensively solid. It doesn’t actually matter how we set up at kick off though if we man mark all

Yeah true, to be fair he might not even play that same system - it was found out a bit at premier league level in that second season.  The positive thing is that him and his assistant came up wit

The squad we have we really should be playing a 4-3-3 in my opinion. Could probably do with a proper defensive midfielder who is good on the ball as well. Would expect he will be one of our main targets in January. Obviously that also depends if we have a manager who wants to play football by then. When it comes to formation I don’t think the man marking helps. Players are all over the place, no wonder why opposition players are finding themselves wide open

• Like 2

Personally think we need 2 up top, 5-3-2 or 4-4-2, but definitely 2 strikers down the middle, we can't do it with 1 up top, we don't have that guy who can play without support so putting a partnership together makes sense to me. That is until we move on from Warnock and hopefully become a possession based team again. 

18 hours ago, BoroJake said:

The squad we have we really should be playing a 4-3-3 in my opinion. Could probably do with a proper defensive midfielder who is good on the ball as well. Would expect he will be one of our main targets in January. Obviously that also depends if we have a manager who wants to play football by then. When it comes to formation I don’t think the man marking helps. Players are all over the place, no wonder why opposition players are finding themselves wide open

Agree with every aspect of this post. I don’t think there’s too much wrong with the formations we’re starting out with and the personnel aren’t a major issue either. Probably a tweak here and there would help but the biggest problem is our shape and structure off the ball. There are far too many gaps in our defence due to man marking. For example did anyone see how far Dael Fry was following Hoilett when he dropped deep? It was frightening. That’s not Fry’s game and we don’t have a defensive midfield to plug those gaps. It’s frightening that none of this has been addressed. It’s basic stuff.

20 hours ago, BoroJake said:

Also need cover for Bola if we're gonna have a traditional 4 at the back.

23 hours ago, BoroJake said:

Isn’t that what JLS is supposed to be?

We continue to discuss the formation and keeping ‘shape’ - probably the most important aspect of being defensively solid. It doesn’t actually matter how we set up at kick off though if we man mark all over the pitch. Our shape is effectively whichever one the opposition choose to pull us into. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, CrazyL said:

We continue to discuss the formation and keeping ‘shape’ - probably the most important aspect of being defensively solid. It doesn’t actually matter how we set up at kick off though if we man mark all over the pitch. Our shape is effectively whichever one the opposition choose to pull us into. 

It is so obviously the reason we are getting dragged all over with players constantly out of position during open play and at set pieces yet poor Neil's cataracts won't let him see it. The opposition Managers are using it as their tactic now and yet he refuses to drop it. 

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

With all players fit and available given the recent upturn in form, who starts?

Fry and Bamba start at centre half

Howson stays at right back

Midfield combination? Crooks/Payero/McNair?

I'd be looking at

------Lumley--------

Dijksteel-Fry-Bamba-Bola

-Crooks-Payero-McNair-

Tav------Sporar-------Onel/Jones

Perhaps a bit harsh on Howson but Dijksteel is a better right back than him and I want players in their natural positions. Onel has proven so much in the Championship, but Jones is our own and looks so exciting. 50/50 between them. But we're never going to have everyone fit at the same time anyway, so there is going to be plenty of games for everyone. Lea Siliki has one hell of a job on his hands though. Cameroon international with plenty of experience from the top french league and also from the Champions League. At the moment he is probably 6th choice in midfield if everyone is fit, and I can't see Warnock dropping Crooks, McNair or Howson for him and Payero looks like a different player who plays further forward. Probably not the situation Siliki envisaged when he signed.