oneBoro Forum

Team Formation

Mate asked me a good question today. 

“Who are we going to see less of under Wilder?”

Went to Wilder’s staple 532 formation which would probably see the wingers see less game time. So Hernandez, Isiah Jones and maybe Sammy Ameobi and Marcus Browne when they’re fit. Any other other suggestions?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Neil Warnock.

We continue to discuss the formation and keeping ‘shape’ - probably the most important aspect of being defensively solid. It doesn’t actually matter how we set up at kick off though if we man mark all

Yeah true, to be fair he might not even play that same system - it was found out a bit at premier league level in that second season.  The positive thing is that him and his assistant came up wit

2 minutes ago, Humpty said:

Mate asked me a good question today. 

“Who are we going to see less of under Wilder?”

Went to Wilder’s staple 532 formation which would probably see the wingers see less game time. So Hernandez, Isiah Jones and maybe Sammy Ameobi and Marcus Browne when they’re fit. Any other other suggestions?

Wonder what reaction Wilder will get if he plays wing backs when we don’t have any.

I wonder if Bola might move inside to cover the lcb position as an overlapping centre back, given he's the only left footed defender we have isn't he? Him on the left and McNair on the right of fry would be a good balance I think. Said it before but I think dijksteel would be excellent in the role too. Means that we'd need to target two or three wingbacks in Jan though, seems a stretch.

I think, especially if we can't get Coulson and Spence back in January, we will probably see them adopt a different system this season. There's a lot of quality that might be wasted playing that way with this squad and I think the first 5-6 games will be figuring out how best to utilise the players we have.

Obviously the set-up worked well for Sheffield United but I believe it was a system born in League One to help them dominate in games where teams would sit back and defend. By the time they got into the Championship, they knew what they were doing and had plenty of practice. We aren't in League One and teams up and down the division these days take us on with the intention of winning. It could be risky.

It depends on who is fit and available too. Rushing into that modus operandi when we still have Bamba, Peltier and Howson playing in defence on occasion might be costly. Basham and O'Connell were both good defenders as well as marauders so I don't think Bola or Howson are gonna suit us so well but I don't see Peltier rushing into other teams' box either to cause havoc. McNair and maybe Fry could do it? But it's a worry if they're out.

I'm excited to see the stuff get bled out over the next couple of weeks. Really can't wait to be back at the Riverside now, too!

Yeah true, to be fair he might not even play that same system - it was found out a bit at premier league level in that second season. 

The positive thing is that him and his assistant came up with the innovation behind the tactic, so there's no reason they can't develop something else quality as inventive. Very excited to see how we end up setting up. 

• Like 3

Djiksteel's best position is as a centre back in a back three. Whether or not Wilder will implement overlapping centre halves remains to be seen. I wonder if Knill will try to come up with something that suits our squad as it stands or whether he'll shoehorn them in to a 532.

I can't wait to see us actually have a game plan and settled formation.

With everyone fit, I think we'll see something like the below. Uche, Watmore, Browne offer other options up front and Jones/Hernandez can come in at WB if we're chasing games and need goals. Bamba, Hall and Pelts can all rotate into the back three:

-------------Daniels---------------

-------Dijksteel-Fry-McNair-------

Howson-Payero-Crooks-Tav-Bola

---------Sporar-Coburn------------

3 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

I can't wait to see us actually have a game plan and settled formation.

With everyone fit, I think we'll see something like the below. Uche, Watmore, Browne offer other options up front and Jones/Hernandez can come in at WB if we're chasing games and need goals. Bamba, Hall and Pelts can all rotate into the back three:

-------------Daniels---------------

-------Dijksteel-Fry-McNair-------

Howson-Payero-Crooks-Tav-Bola

---------Sporar-Coburn------------

I think that is close to the team you might see but dont be surprised if Crooks goes up top, Howson moves to Middle and Jones is the RWB. So only personnel change would be Jones for Coburn

• Like 1

This was Wilders go to 11 when they got promoted I believe:

Henderson

Basham Egan Connell

Baldock Lundastram Norwood Fleck Stevens

Sharp McGoldrick

In they first PL season McBurnie replaced McGoldrick.

Basham was a CM who became the 3rd CB so probably be Paddy for us.

Crooks/Uche/Coburn are likely to play role of target man.

As has been pointed he does need a left footed centre as he had with Connell. The recruitment department should have a list of players that fit the bill given we been looking for a left sided defender since summer. Maybe revisit the Ciaron Brown situation at Cardiff.