oneBoro Forum

Hull City v Boro 2-0

1703375506_Screenshot2021-09-29at16_13_25.thumb.png.8c977309e4cace6f6ebdef7751a1dc77.png

HULL TIGERS v MIDDLESBORO LIONS, Saturday 28th September 2021

Kick Off: 15:00

"Battle of the Big Cats on the Humber"

Well, it would be wrong of me not to admit that I was pretty certain I wouldn’t be authoring this MDT, but I’m pleased I am! With all the pre match talk about Warnock’s decision to go with his ‘own players’ and the general feeling that we might be witnessing the final bow of Warnock’s mammoth career in management, it was almost inevitable that we might actually win so he could prove us all wrong and rub it in our faces. I’m sure at one point the SkySports commentary team said that Warnock had been managing football teams for longer than the collective age of every player on the pitch. I haven’t fact checked that though. So it could’ve been a sad ending for a man who, like him or not, has had a great career in the game we all love. And it would’ve been sad. So, it’s much better that a little wizardry from Watmore, and some magic from McNair put some sellotape over the holes. My favourite moment of the game was when the camera focussed on Warnock shouting at Lumley to make sure his goal kicks went out wide. I only wish he'd looked into the camera and winked afterwards.

We saw a much more battling performance from our team against Sheffield United than we have in recent weeks. Warnock’s preferred pre game pep talk is one of the underdog proving everyone wrong against all odds. It seems odd to me that such a scenario needs to be engineered with the squad we have. But what do I know. Warnock was managing Burton Albion when I was born

Our next opponents, Hull Tigers, are a different prospect. They started the season with a 4-1 mauling of Preston, and then stopped. Their next 9 games seeing 3 further points come from draws, with the other 6 games ending in defeat. Their fans are bemoaning the players lack of ability to pass the ball and have no clue where their next win will come from. Their manager doesn’t know what he’s doing and, why is he leaving the best players on the bench? Some even dared to hope that defeat against Blackpool would be the final nail in Grant McCann’s coffin!

So, will this Battle of the Big Cats be a decisive game in the managerial careers of Boro Lions’ Warnock or Hull Tigers’ McCann? Probably not. But whichever team loses there will be a set of fans with hunting guns at the ready. A draw would be a better result for Hull but does neither manager any favours in reality. In reality, we know that we'll probably/definitely have Warnock here until the end of the season unless we find ourselves flirting dangerously close to relegation. It is correct that on this forum, there is a statistical bias that would make any reader think all Boro fans were Warnock averse, when the reality is quite different. If the team continue to perform as they did on Tuesday night, get the points in the bag, score goals and defend with everything, some of us might even accept our fate with a little more sweetness. 

What's we got in common:

Us fans: Both teams have a strong dislike for Leeds United.

Nick Barmby: Played for Hull in league one a few years after leaving us to join a big club…

Our Club Badge: Both got a big cat on.

Dean Windass: He was class for both of us

Rivers: Our town and their city were both founded on big rivers.

Talking points:

Shall we keep the same line up that beat Sheffield United?

Who is your favourite player that played for both us and them?

Can you think of anything that is more orange than Phil Brown was? 

• Like 5
  • Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reading - worst defence in the league, no clean sheets, enter Boro. Hull - longest run without a win in all four divisions, enter Boro. It just isn’t happening- Warnocks promotion teams would have won

In 1801, Middlesbrough was a small farm with a population of just 25. Joseph Pease of Darlington needed a port for his coal ships, so created 'Port Darlington' and brought in Irish labourers to create

If he can’t do anymore with this squad then he needs to go

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, marvin said:

Talking points:

- It depends on how Bamba is feeling, he was fantastic against Sheff U, but he's also 36. If he's up to it then I would stick to the same team.

- The mighty Dani Ayala, though Boateng and Mannion are probably better historically.

- Belfast and Glasgow on the 12th of July.

I'm reasonably confident about this match, Hull are in terrible form and we're on the back of a good win.

But it was the same situation the last time we played Hull and I can't remember a worse team beating us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Previously stated that this is a massive game for many reasons.

Boro need to kick on with another win to show that SU game was no fluke and also to stop the continual annoyance of allowing other clubs in bad form to pick up much needed wins and stopping their own rot!

Hull fans must fancy their teams chances so there could be a tasty atmosphere between both set of supporters as they will not want to see Boro adding to their woes.

We do not have a bad record away to Hull indeed there have been some very good games between the clubs and most with goals to boot! So do not expect a 0-0 draw (put your money on this for me saying it) we will either go into the IB feeling good and bemoaning the IB has stopped our progression or we will have a long fortnight waiting to see if damage can be repaired and a long period debating the Manager again.

Tempted to say start with same team but would like to see quicker decisions regarding subs if things are going Pete Tong.

Probably ought to, seeing as Warnock finally seems to have found a winning combination. Though as TeaCider pointed out, Bamba might be done for another 10 games or so. May need to rest him. Aside from that - don't fix it if it ain't broken.

Probably has to be Boateng. Guy was an absolute rock in midfield - don't think we've had anyone like him since. Other than that, Gaston Ramirez. Could be infuriating at times, but at his best he was sublime.

Donald Trump Water GIF by Election 2016

I'm worried. This should be a game we win fairly comfortably...not unlike the Sheffield game. But every time I predict Boro to win, they let me down.

Still, Hull have had a wretched season so far. Just 1 win in 10 and conceding more than double the goals they've scored. I really can't see beyond a Boro win...except for the fact my predictions seem to be some kind of jinx for us. Ah to hell with it...

Prediction: Hull 1 - 2 Boro

Edited by AnglianRed

balls deep fight GIF by BALLS DEEP with Thomas Morton

After all NW comments I believe we will see the same line up, and we should because it’s the sword on which NW wins the battle or falls on. I hope we continue to keep the ball on the floor and we see a few more excellent goals.  
My worry is the speed and fitness of the squad he has chosen, because, there were still questions about the quality especially with the work rate NW demands from man marking. 

NW has stated he will leave the fitness to the coach’s and he will pick the squad. My question, what exactly was happening at the club as this would seem to be normal practice. 

NW has stated the door has not shut on Martin Payero and James Lea Siliki, it’s a question of getting up to speed. Then why does the club have a habit of signing players who don’t fit the bill, or why are they not identifying mentality or injuries. Is it something to do with the air or water up North..  

I say much of the same, same team, same tactics, same result please. 

BORO to win 2 - 0.. 

Edited by sanddancer

We should easily beat Hull, and if we're at all serious about sticking with Warnock and pushing for promotion then we pretty much have to.

We should have easily beaten Reading though and look what happened there, so I'm gonna go 3-0 to Hull and for all the "fickle" fans to start wanting rid of Warnock again.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Robin Johnson said:

Tav was getting some treatment at the end of the game on Tuesday - hoping it was cramp and nothing more serious. When he ticks, we tick

That's true, but he was probably our least effective player on Tuesday and we still managed to win well.

Not that I think he played overly bad, but he wasn't involved in any way in either goal and lost the ball more times than I can count.

I still hope to see him in the starting line-up on Saturday, as he's excellent when he's on form,

• Like 1

Stick with same team if possible. If Sol not ready then Hall in which is as like got like as we can get and keep same team.

Wonder if Onel might be fit for this bench at least on this one.

1 hour ago, Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die said:

Anything but a win is a sackable offence. We want to try get in t he top six then this is the kinda game you should be winning. 

1 hour ago, Brunners said:

Anything but a comfortable victory is unacceptable.

Really?

We didn't sack him after 2 wins from 9 games, so why would we do so if we fail to win one more game?

Most of the talk this season has been of the club just being in a holding pattern until we appoint a long-term replacement for Warnock.

We get a 3rd win and suddenly people are talking about the play-offs again... 🤷‍♂️

If we end up achieving mid-table mediocrity again, he'll have done his job. If we reach the play-offs, thats a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

Really?

We didn't sack him after 2 wins from 9 games, so why would we do so if we fail to win one more game?

Most of the talk this season has been of the club just being in a holding pattern until we appoint a long-term replacement for Warnock.

We get a 3rd win and suddenly people are talking about the play-offs again... 🤷‍♂️

If we end up achieving mid-table mediocrity again, he'll have done his job. If we reach the play-offs, thats a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

I would not get drawn into what has been said about this season simply because none of us know and therefore speculate. This has the ability to draw some interesting theory that seem plausible but highly unlikely as managers are hired and fired based on results. Ask yourself, Is it likely NW was given a remit and decided to stay and hold ship in his final season? I don’t think so, and I don’t buy into biding time for this elusive manager. Now that would be one of footballs best kept secrets in a business where breaking wind makes the papers. 

I find comments by some reputable posters about playoffs and promotion intriguing and can only assume it’s irony or there is a good batch being freely handed about the area. Either way that’s what makes OneBORO interesting, or dare I say addictive.. 

Edited by sanddancer
5 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

I would get drawn into what has been said about this season simply because none of us know and therefore speculate. This has the ability to draw some interesting theory that seem plausible but highly unlikely as managers are hired and fired based on results. Ask yourself, Is it likely NW was given a remit and decided to stay and hold ship in his final season? I don’t think so, and I don’t buy into biding time for this elusive manager. Now that would be one of footballs best kept secrets in a business where breaking wind makes the papers. 

I wasn't getting drawn in to anything.

Its just logical to my mind that we should be looking for a replacement for Warnock, based purely on his age. On that basis alone he is not the man to take the club forward for the next few years.

Its also logical to keep him on while we look for the best candidate (or wait for the preferred guy to become available). Sacking Warnock now and bringing in someone in for a few months will achieve little. Rushing a new appointment could also backfire badly.

Even if by some miracle we actually get promoted this season, would you want Warnock managing us in the PL? I know I wouldn't.

As for why we haven't heard anything yet about NW's replacement...we're less than a quarter of the way through the season. Its entirely possible Scott & Gibson are still just drawing up a shortlist and haven't even spoken to anyone yet. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear anything until after Christmas...maybe even March or April.

The other good reason for maintaining secrecy is to prevent Warnock's authority being (further) undermined. As long as there is no confirmation of him being replaced, he is still very much the boss and the players will have to do the business for him, if they want to keep playing.

• Like 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to Hull City v Boro 2-0