oneBoro Forum

Introducing Chris Wilder MOTM (Man of the Moment)

For me, we need to appoint a manager with some sort of track record that has a style and philosophy that fits the brief set by Gibson and given to Scott. A newbie would be a huge risk as there is no evidence to back up management style, newbies could be anything. Yes, they can work out, successful managers have to start somewhere, but more fail than make it. A newbie with pulling power like Bryan Robson would attract players on reputation, but without tactical nous and man management skills it can unravel quickly. 

Scott will likely be the big influencer for Gibson. His vision needs to fit into recruitment strategy, but also retention,  taking account of the squad we currently have. As said above, while the jigsaw analogy is a fair one, getting the balance right is no easy task.

Too experienced a coach and they can be set in their ways, tried and trusted styles that have been successful only work if the players at the club can adapt quickly. I would like to see someone who is early in their management career, with a decent grounding as a manager at a lower level, improved the team or teams he has been at, has drive and ambition to get to the top, but not someone who sees Boro as a mere stepping stone, someone who wants to hang around and be a part of any future success. Someone who has good man management skills and a vision that mirrors that of the clubs forward strategy. As for names, I really don’t have any, I will leave that to Scott and Gibson and place my trust that they get things right between them at the first time of asking. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are people.really having a go about us appointing an experienced, promotion winning, club record beating manager being put in charge above a former player who does have pedigree, but zero experience?

In terms of pedigree, 16 months ago Wilder was runner up to Jurgen Klopp for LMA manager of the year and spoken about as one of the best English managers around for us to get him to come to manage us

Posted Images

McClaren is literally our most successful manager of all time. How can that not have worked well?

11 hours ago, Essuuaitch said:

im not going to throw a name or a recomendation out as i,d either risk being ridiculed or being proven wrong. the brutal truth is that other than the big 6 or whatever you like to call them, pretty much every other team in the english league system has no need or no reason to conduct a masterplan in order to find a perfect fit for themselves when searching for a new manager. im firmly convinced that in our position and level  its basically like finding a jigsaw piece that fits neatly. if and when it happens that we appoint a new messiah it will probably be by complete chance rather than rational thinking. its the same with players to a degree. sometimes a perfect managerial appointment happens by complete chance, theres plenty of instances which im quite certain werent pre planned or favourably debated. Jack Charlton , Bryan Robson, and Aitor Karanka are the only ones in my lifetime that weve earmarked and then have worked well. lawrence,neal and mclaren to a lesser extent but not completely welcomed universally by the fanbase at the time. in fact perhaps our most successful appointment ,Bruce Rioch was pretty much a  shot in the dark.

henceforth , my hope for the next manager is a complete unknown ,so i wont have an opinion to sway me prior to him taking over.    

• Like 2
2 hours ago, DocMartin said:

For me, we need to appoint a manager with some sort of track record that has a style and philosophy that fits the brief set by Gibson and given to Scott. A newbie would be a huge risk as there is no evidence to back up management style, newbies could be anything. Yes, they can work out, successful managers have to start somewhere, but more fail than make it. A newbie with pulling power like Bryan Robson would attract players on reputation, but without tactical nous and man management skills it can unravel quickly. 

Scott will likely be the big influencer for Gibson. His vision needs to fit into recruitment strategy, but also retention,  taking account of the squad we currently have. As said above, while the jigsaw analogy is a fair one, getting the balance right is no easy task.

Too experienced a coach and they can be set in their ways, tried and trusted styles that have been successful only work if the players at the club can adapt quickly. I would like to see someone who is early in their management career, with a decent grounding as a manager at a lower level, improved the team or teams he has been at, has drive and ambition to get to the top, but not someone who sees Boro as a mere stepping stone, someone who wants to hang around and be a part of any future success. Someone who has good man management skills and a vision that mirrors that of the clubs forward strategy. As for names, I really don’t have any, I will leave that to Scott and Gibson and place my trust that they get things right between them at the first time of asking. 

A Greame Potter would be ideal.

• Like 1

sorry Humpty,but mclaren was not our most successful manager and im sure a poll would back me on that. you use the word literally but id argue that literally he had the best opportunity of all our managers to be the most successful.it was literally the only time in our history that we were an established premier league/top flight club when he took over,he literally had cart blanche to sign whoever he wanted which was and is far from our norm with all other managers, lets face it, Zeige,Mendieta,Hassalbaink.Rochembach.Viduka,Maccarone, are the types of level signings that to all other managers weve had ,are pie in the sky . despite those advantagers he still didnt endear himself to the fans but unless your reasoning is based on silverware and a major european cup run  and  want to cling onto cardiff 2004 and the uefa cup comebacks your arguement will be questionable....literally.

Edited by Essuuaitch
  • Confused 1
13 hours ago, Essuuaitch said:

im not going to throw a name or a recomendation out as i,d either risk being ridiculed or being proven wrong. the brutal truth is that other than the big 6 or whatever you like to call them, pretty much every other team in the english league system has no need or no reason to conduct a masterplan in order to find a perfect fit for themselves when searching for a new manager. im firmly convinced that in our position and level  its basically like finding a jigsaw piece that fits neatly. if and when it happens that we appoint a new messiah it will probably be by complete chance rather than rational thinking. its the same with players to a degree. sometimes a perfect managerial appointment happens by complete chance, theres plenty of instances which im quite certain werent pre planned or favourably debated. Jack Charlton , Bryan Robson, and Aitor Karanka are the only ones in my lifetime that weve earmarked and then have worked well. lawrence,neal and mclaren to a lesser extent but not completely welcomed universally by the fanbase at the time. in fact perhaps our most successful appointment ,Bruce Rioch was pretty much a  shot in the dark.

henceforth , my hope for the next manager is a complete unknown ,so i wont have an opinion to sway me prior to him taking over.    

Have to disagree with a fair bit of that.

For starters you're overlooking the end of Karanka's reign. Started out well but ended pretty badly (and he's shown similar tendencies at other clubs since).

Also McLaren is our most successful manager of all time. He oversaw the club win its only major trophy to date and the UEFA Cup run. Okay he may have been given plenty of money to do it, but money doesn't guarantee success.

As I recall Robson wasn't exactly short of funds either, but we didn't achieve anything like that under his reign.

Doesn't matter if a manager is liked by the fans or not...its what they achieve on the pitch. If they bring results and silverware, the fans usually come around. Success can make you a lot of friends, even if your methods aren't popular.

Plus, as we've seen with a few managers lately, being a nice bloke doesn't win you many friends if you don't also deliver results.

Also disagree about going pot luck with the next choice of manager. Rioch was a bit before my time, so I won't pass comment on his time in charge, but there is a lot to be said for examining personalities and methods (as well as track record) and deciding if they are the kind of person you want at the club.

Just like they can help you decide if a player will fit into a squad, they can also give you a good idea of whether a manager will take the club in the direction you're aiming for...and whether they will work with the DoF, board etc.

Again there are no guarantees, but I'd rather do that than basically flip a coin.

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, DocMartin said:

Yep - its a tough brief and finding a manager who will tick most of those boxes will be no easy task.

I've no problem with another newbie manager, or someone who has only been an assistant at other clubs, provided Scott has done his homework and sees potential. But like you I'd prefer someone with some kind of track record.

Getting the right kind of people / personalities is as important as getting the right talent. If you don't have the togetherness / team spirit in the camp, then the talent won't flourish.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Don't know if people saw this, guy claims to have had this info from someone within the club.

If true, thats an awful lot sooner than I expected.

Wonder if the club are planning to bring the new guy in for the January transfer window, or are they just getting business done well ahead of time?

40 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Don't know if people saw this, guy claims to have had this info from someone within the club.

Maybe this is the cause of the misunderstanding when the ITKs thought that Warnock was gone? Maybe the manager interviews were for next season and we now have someone lined up? 

19 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Maybe this is the cause of the misunderstanding when the ITKs thought that Warnock was gone? Maybe the manager interviews were for next season and we now have someone lined up? 

Well it would be a pleasant change to actually be preparing for the end of the season now rather than see what's left on the shelf at the end.

• Like 1

It must be someone out of work then surely, for me that’s not the way to go.

We’ve had our hands burnt by Monk yes but our track record of bringing recently sacked/unemployed managers isn’t good. If true (which I personally doubt) I hope it’s the right choice and not just the cheapest one 

2 hours ago, Essuuaitch said:

sorry Humpty,but mclaren was not our most successful manager and im sure a poll would back me on that. you use the word literally but id argue that literally he had the best opportunity of all our managers to be the most successful.it was literally the only time in our history that we were an established premier league/top flight club when he took over,he literally had cart blanche to sign whoever he wanted which was and is far from our norm with all other managers, lets face it, Zeige,Mendieta,Hassalbaink.Rochembach.Viduka,Maccarone, are the types of level signings that to all other managers weve had ,are pie in the sky . despite those advantagers he still didnt endear himself to the fans but unless your reasoning is based on silverware and a major european cup run  and  want to cling onto cardiff 2004 and the uefa cup comebacks your arguement will be questionable....literally.

I think we're at such polar opposite ends of this debate, that it would be futile to continue. I respect your opinion though....i did have a chuckle at the bit highlighted above though 😁

• Like 1

As long as we do not entertain the thoughts of MM, SB, NA, SA we could very well be thinking of a younger guy who would like to take Boro on a journey with him.

Actually in these modern times we could appoint a female Manager

• Downsouth changed the title to Introducing Chris Wilder MOTM (Man of the Moment)