oneBoro Forum

Introducing Chris Wilder MOTM (Man of the Moment)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are people.really having a go about us appointing an experienced, promotion winning, club record beating manager being put in charge above a former player who does have pedigree, but zero experience?

In terms of pedigree, 16 months ago Wilder was runner up to Jurgen Klopp for LMA manager of the year and spoken about as one of the best English managers around for us to get him to come to manage us

Posted Images

Would anyone take Neil till the end of the season? He does like to play football and has in the past set up some good teams. He’d be gone long before he’s had chance to lose the plot.

9 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

Would anyone take Neil till the end of the season? He does like to play football and has in the past set up some good teams. He’d be gone long before he’s had chance to lose the plot.

Yeah, may as will stick with him till the end of the season now unless we look in risk of going down.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, LinoJo3 said:

What manager who ISN'T about to approach retirement would agree to join a club for half a season? Really nothing in it for him or us, may as well stick with Warnock.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Smokedsalmon said:

What manager who ISN'T about to approach retirement would agree to join a club for half a season? Really nothing in it for him or us, may as well stick with Warnock.

Not sure I agree with that. I don't think Terry Venables was planning to retire when he stepped in to help us in Robbo's last season, but he earned the adulation of the fans. I remember the last game of that season, I think we played West Ham, Tel walked out and got huge cheers from the people around me, but when Robbo appeared on the pitch there were quite a lot of boos. If you're at all egotistical, that sort of adulation is immensely appealing to any manager, even if it does only last half a season (or less, in Tel's case).

My memory might be playing tricks on me, but I think Venables became favourite for the manager's job on the back of that short stint with us, and Alex Neil might achieve similar status if he came in and got us there or thereabouts. Why bring in a rookie or a project if the incumbent is doing a great job?

25 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

Not sure I agree with that. I don't think Terry Venables was planning to retire when he stepped in to help us in Robbo's last season, but he earned the adulation of the fans. I remember the last game of that season, I think we played West Ham, Tel walked out and got huge cheers from the people around me, but when Robbo appeared on the pitch there were quite a lot of boos. If you're at all egotistical, that sort of adulation is immensely appealing to any manager, even if it does only last half a season (or less, in Tel's case).

My memory might be playing tricks on me, but I think Venables became favourite for the manager's job on the back of that short stint with us, and Alex Neil might achieve similar status if he came in and got us there or thereabouts. Why bring in a rookie or a project if the incumbent is doing a great job?

In fairness there's no comparison.

Venables had managed Barcelona, Spurs and England before he came to Boro. He had a track record to suggest he'd do a good job with us if he wanted to stay on.

Alex Neil has managed Norwich and Preston. He may do a good job or he may not. Its a coin toss really.

Personally, what I'd be looking for is someone with a different, more modern and methodical approach to both the footballing side of the game and stuff like player discipline, fitness etc. I think Boro need a fairly radical change of direction and I'm not convinced he'd be the man to provide it.

• Like 1
Just now, AnglianRed said:

Venables had managed Barcelona, Spurs and England before he came to Boro. He had a track record to suggest he'd do a good job with us if he wanted to stay on.

Alex Neil has managed Norwich and Preston. He may do a good job or he may not. Its a coin toss really.

Personally, what I'd be looking for is someone with a different, more modern and methodical approach to both the footballing side of the game and stuff like player discipline, fitness etc. I think Boro need a fairly radical change of direction and I'm not convinced he'd be the man to provide it.

Sounds like we need an Arsene Wenger type manager, he totally transformed Arsenal when he first went there.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Sounds like we need an Arsene Wenger type manager, he totally transformed Arsenal when he first went there.

If we could find someone in that mould I'd be absolutely delighted.

Just a shame the bloke's gone off his nut now and wants to have World Cups every 2 years. Sounds like he's had too much time on his hands lately.

22 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I've been told that Warnock has no involvement on the training ground. Make of that what you will.

Guess that shows Blackwell and Jepson are equally incompetent? ☹️

In fairness some managers are happy to leave training to the coaches. Given his age, I guess its not that surprising he doesn't want to spend hours in the freezing cold (or baking heat) taking training sessions. 🤷‍♂️

29 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I've been told that Warnock has no involvement on the training ground. Make of that what you will.

In what sense? He’s always out on the pitch in training videos and you often hear him shouting and cajoling.

44 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Completely agree. I was simply responding to SmokedSalmon's comments about no manager wanting a half-season job unless they're semi-retired. Venables, as you rightly say, had an impressive track record, yet he still took us on short-term. I think temporary jobs have a lot of appeal if you can become the knight in shining armour - it's pretty much what Warnock did when he took over from Woodgate!

But yes, Venables was worlds ahead of Warnock in terms of high-level managerial success.

• Downsouth changed the title to Introducing Chris Wilder MOTM (Man of the Moment)