oneBoro Forum

Introducing Chris Wilder MOTM (Man of the Moment)

Ive blamed Bausor for a lot and maybe Im wrong but Warnock came across bitter, but of course we arent going to bring in most of the players we wanted when we want to go in a different direction and he’s leaving in 1 year, Bausor deserves criticism for alot but not with Warnock 

• Like 1
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are people.really having a go about us appointing an experienced, promotion winning, club record beating manager being put in charge above a former player who does have pedigree, but zero experience?

In terms of pedigree, 16 months ago Wilder was runner up to Jurgen Klopp for LMA manager of the year and spoken about as one of the best English managers around for us to get him to come to manage us

Posted Images

1 hour ago, sanddancer said:

I don’t wish to bust anyone’s bubble but I don’t believe we will see BORO in the premier anytime in the near foreseeable future. I am not say we won’t possibly won’t flirt with the playoffs but we have a club the town can afford. 

It's depressing but I fear you're right.

1 minute ago, AnglianRed said:

Daft question.

As you full well know there are no guarantees in football (except that wages, TV money and agents' fees will continue to rise).

I've never said I wanted any guarantees. I was simply commenting on Wilder's track record and how it didn't particularly fill me with confidence that he'd remain with us if he managed to get us promoted.

'There are no guarantees in football' - does this only work if someone is talking about the possibility of him doing well then? As in your first post from this exchange you made a number of assumptions -

'he was a 1-season wonder' - what if he's not? Four promotions and taking Sheffield United from League One to the Premier League and finishing 9th in 4 seasons - doesn't sound like a one season wonder to me. 

'Fact is he couldn't keep it going... If he gets us promoted that will be quite an achievement. I was simply saying, don't bank on him lasting much beyond that.' - what if he does?

Just because someone has failed once doesn't mean they're a busted flush. We'd be picking from a pretty small pool if we could only recruit managers who had never failed. I don't think there are any. 

Remember there are no guarantees in football. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, sanddancer said:

I don’t wish to bust anyone’s bubble but I don’t believe we will see BORO in the premier anytime in the near foreseeable future. I am not say we won’t possibly won’t flirt with the playoffs but we have a club the town can afford. 

No point Wilder been here in that case may as well stuck with Warnock if Gibson couldn't afford premier league football or didn't want it may as well had mid table apathy. Plus I don't think the fans will accept anything less than challenging for promotion, if not this season then defiantly next season or they'll call for his head just like Mowbray, Warnock and Pulis. 

I think majority of Boro fans are willing to be patient with managers as long as we can see some progress on the pitch or up the table. 

For all of Pulis’ hoofball, he got us up the table and near the play offs which makes his brand of football easier to stomach. It was dull, yet effective. 

Woodgate was a disaster and the results and tactics speak for themselves. I think people were quite open minded but disgruntled with his appointment. 

Warnock was the right choice to save us and should have gone at the end of last season with some of the performances. This season there was no progression and he’s lucky he lasted this long. I think Gibson has done him a favour by letting him leave with the record because football wise it’s been *** all season.

If Wilder is trying to make us more attacking and possession based I’m willing to give him a free hit this season and then go for it next season. 

God knows anything is better than hoofball 👀

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, JMC91 said:

'There are no guarantees in football' - does this only work if someone is talking about the possibility of him doing well then? As in your first post from this exchange you made a number of assumptions -

'he was a 1-season wonder' - what if he's not? Four promotions and taking Sheffield United from League One to the Premier League and finishing 9th in 4 seasons - doesn't sound like a one season wonder to me. 

'Fact is he couldn't keep it going... If he gets us promoted that will be quite an achievement. I was simply saying, don't bank on him lasting much beyond that.' - what if he does?

Just because someone has failed once doesn't mean they're a busted flush. We'd be picking from a pretty small pool if we could only recruit managers who had never failed. I don't think there are any. 

Remember there are no guarantees in football. 

I was talking solely about his time in the Premier League. I couldn't care less that he got Sheffield promoted from League One. Boro aren't starting from there. His track record suggests he hit his ceiling in the Championship and couldn't cut it in the top flight.

At least I'm stating facts. All you're doing is asking "what if?"

Also find me a post where I have actually said Wilder was a failure, or that I expect him to fail with Boro. None of us have any idea how he will do. The PL is a tough league to survive in if you're not backed by billionaires and can afford world-class managers and players.

Not being able to cut it there doesn't automatically make you a failure, but obviously it does raise the question of getting a different manager in , should we get promoted.

Besides that my concerns go beyond the managerial appointment. Warnock's more recent comments seem to suggest there are more issues behind the scenes than simply a lack of funds for new players.

If thats true they won't just have walked out the door along with him. I don't expect Wilder to just wave a magic wand and turn us into promotion challengers in a few weeks. If he does - fantastic...but I'm keeping my expectations moderate for now.

Excited about this now. I genuinely do think we have as good a chance as anyone to make the playoffs and some new ideas, coaching and a couple of signings (I sound like Warnock!), we could have a good second half of the season. 

Thanks for the info on the compromises @diggerlad07 . A couple of surprising ones there and it sounds like relationships had broken to be honest. 

My thoughts are that Warnock knew about Wilder coming in and the timing was agreed, it was going to be a dignified exit after he got the record. The 3 wins probably caused a bit of worry behind the scenes (what if we’d kept the run going!) and Warnock probably feeling a bit more confident/bitter at the situation started making comments about the Jan transfer window and promotion knowing full well he’d agreed to go. A leak to the Saturday papers and Warnock not leaving in a dignified way probably sums up his last few months with us

UTB - into the new era now! 

10 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

I was talking solely about his time in the Premier League. I couldn't care less that he got Sheffield promoted from League One. Boro aren't starting from there. His track record suggests he hit his ceiling in the Championship and couldn't cut it in the top flight.

At least I'm stating facts. All you're doing is asking "what if?"

Also find me a post where I have actually said Wilder was a failure, or that I expect him to fail with Boro. None of us have any idea how he will do. The PL is a tough league to survive in if you're not backed by billionaires and can afford world-class managers and players.

Not being able to cut it there doesn't automatically make you a failure, but obviously it does raise the question of getting a different manager in , should we get promoted.

Besides that my concerns go beyond the managerial appointment. Warnock's more recent comments seem to suggest there are more issues behind the scenes than simply a lack of funds for new players.

If thats true they won't just have walked out the door along with him. I don't expect Wilder to just wave a magic wand and turn us into promotion challengers in a few weeks. If he does - fantastic...but I'm keeping my expectations moderate for now.

Wow, I don't even know where to begin, the lack of logic in your post, it's up there with the usual suspects 

Edited by Mr_Maz
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
14 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

You're contradicting yourself here. You say you're 'solely talking about his time in the Premier League' but for some reason haven't mentioned he finished 9th in his first season. Are you just choosing to ignore that because it doesn't fit your claims that he's a 'one season wonder'? 

Despite only talking about his time in the Premier League, you claim 'his record suggests he hit his ceiling in the Championship and couldn't cut it in the top flight' -  an utterly bizarre claim when talking about a manager who literally got his side promoted from the Championship and then finished in the top half of the Premier League in their first season.

'Also find me a post where I have actually said Wilder was a failure, or that I expect him to fail with Boro' - you've literally called him a one season wonder, said he hit his ceiling in the Championship, claimed he couldn't cut it in the top flight, and said if he does get us up 'don't bank on him lasting much beyond that'. If you didn't mean that he was a failure and don't expect him to do well for us by these things, what were you getting at? 

I really don't understand what you're getting at. You say I'm talking about hypotheticals when I'm mentioning his promotions and league finishes and that you're talking about facts by saying he 'couldn't cut it' and 'found his level' - can you not see how ridiculous that is? 

• Like 6

It’s a strange rant really AR. You also say you aren’t interested in his league one promotion because we aren’t in that league yet focus on his “failure” in the premier league which we are also obviously not in. 

In any case I think people need to get on board and give the guy support rather than slag him off before he’s even started. 

• Like 7

I think the interview I shared yesterday also showed something about Wilder that was lacking in Warnock's time here. A bit of self-accountability. Easier to do when you're not in the thick of it perhaps but when things go wrong, it wouldn't hurt from time to time to show the fans that you look at your own decisions and think what you could have done differently.

Even in his final words yesterday, however badly he's been treated, Warnock still wanted to point the finger elsewhere to things out of his control. Imagine the state a manager would inherit if Warnock got everything he wanted when that's not his problem any more.

• Like 2

I think  under the circumstances this is a very good appointment, who else has a cv like Wilder that could step into the breach, and to boot we also get a very competent and experienced coaching staff. Interesting that Digger Lad is saying the match that lit the flame was Pajero, I thought NW was playing childish games. Let’s just look forward and upwards with new tactics, less coaching injuries and a longer term view

I'm incredibly excited that Warnock is gone and we have appointed a proven manager who can hopefully bring some long-term success to the club.

Warnock's behaviour post-sacking just highlights everything about the man, as @wilsoncgphas just said. Classless, blameless, says what he wants and always assumes he's right. He was given an entire new squad over the course of 3 transfer windows. He got given all his pacey attacking wide-men last season and did nothing with them. He got given his big battering ram striker, a Champions League central midfielder to pair with a Copa Libertadores central midfielder, who he never really got tunes out of. He got given all of his mates as signings to fill his squad out in Peltier, Bamba etc. He even got given his little non-league vanity footballer project in Olusanya.

He has absolutely no leg to stand on. Of course he's trying to change to narrative from "I signed over 15 players and never got the team above mid table" to "they just didn't give me the 3 I needed for promotion". Giving him another window would have been a disaster.

Wilder & Alan Knill will bring a clear system and positive football. Give them time. Be patient. It won't happen this season, but next season we might start to see a Boro team that finally goes out and tries to win football matches. Onwards and upwards.

• Like 8