oneBoro Forum

Introducing Chris Wilder MOTM (Man of the Moment)

2 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Because either diggerlad's information is incorrect, or we don't have any kind of plan in place, and we change our minds on a whim.

If the person a month ago was Reiziger then unless he's now told us that he isn't interested, he should still be the person.  Chris Wilder being linked with other jobs is completely irrelevant to that, what does it matter when you've already identified somebody else that you are going to offer the job to?  They would have known Reiziger's availability going into the interview process, that would have been clear, so again that's irrelevant as well.  So either diggerlad is plain wrong, and Reiziger wasn't going to be appointed next summer, he was going to be appointed but suddenly changed his mind and turned it down, or we had one plan in place and changed it in the space of a few weeks.  Not sure where I'd put my money as being most likely to be honest.

You’re being to black and white about it all. 
maybe in the summer Reiziger was the number one target, we thought we would coast through this season with warnock, maybe challenging for the play offs and get reiziger next summer.

However, things change. Warnock clearly wasn’t happy, performances have been rubbish and there is every chance we could have flirted with relegation if our form kept up. Not to mention he clearly had a problem playing along with the clubs plan which caused problems with new signings.

Maybe we thought we could persuade reiziger to come earlier but he declined so we went with wilder?

It is entirely possible to have the same plan and just have someone else execute it.

• Like 3
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are people.really having a go about us appointing an experienced, promotion winning, club record beating manager being put in charge above a former player who does have pedigree, but zero experience?

In terms of pedigree, 16 months ago Wilder was runner up to Jurgen Klopp for LMA manager of the year and spoken about as one of the best English managers around for us to get him to come to manage us

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

You’re being to black and white about it all. 
maybe in the summer Reiziger was the number one target, we thought we would coast through this season with warnock, maybe challenging for the play offs and get reiziger next summer.

However, things change. Warnock clearly wasn’t happy, performances have been rubbish and there is every chance we could have flirted with relegation if our form kept up. Not to mention he clearly had a problem playing along with the clubs plan which caused problems with new signings.

Maybe we thought we could persuade reiziger to come earlier but he declined so we went with wilder?

It is entirely possible to have the same plan and just have someone else execute it.

I'm not being too black and white about it.  The meetings were supposedly a few weeks ago, not in the summer.  We can still coast through the season with Warnock, that's all we were doing anyway, absolutely nothing has changed at all in that respect, and we were in no danger of relegation.  The decision was clearly made before Saturday or again we're just making decisions on a whim.  It would have been obvious whether Reiziger was available or not when they first spoke to him so he can't have been the guy if we wanted someone now, but that's assuming we wanted someone now, or that he was actually the person we wanted at all.  The Gazette is suggesting that Wilder was the first choice from the start by the sounds of it.  So as I said, it could be that diggerlad's info isn't accurate but he can't be correct and we're also just cracking on with some well thought out plan.  

12 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I'm not being too black and white about it.  The meetings were supposedly a few weeks ago, not in the summer.  We can still coast through the season with Warnock, that's all we were doing anyway, absolutely nothing has changed at all in that respect, and we were in no danger of relegation.  The decision was clearly made before Saturday or again we're just making decisions on a whim.  It would have been obvious whether Reiziger was available or not when they first spoke to him so he can't have been the guy if we wanted someone now, but that's assuming we wanted someone now, or that he was actually the person we wanted at all.  The Gazette is suggesting that Wilder was the first choice from the start by the sounds of it.  So as I said, it could be that diggerlad's info isn't accurate but he can't be correct and we're also just cracking on with some well thought out plan.  

Going up as champions CT 💪

I don’t care who said what, who’s ITK, I was dubious at first when Wilder was touted as our next manager, but.

Having watched that interview it really does fill me with excitement.  It’s the appointment I’ve been crying out for for ages, someone who wants to align the supporters with the club again.  Not full of himself, has waited until the right job has come along that is right for him.  So from that he wants to be here, this can only be a positive in my opinion.  

I’ve no idea how long but if he gets us playing and united the fans, uses the academy and gets us up then stay as long as he needs to.

• Like 4

IF he gets us up, and then we look like we are going down again, please can we keep him this time?

You know, instead of the fiasco we have had which started with Southgate (albeit he didn't take us up) but certainly continued with Karanka.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, TheJew said:

IF he gets us up, and then we look like we are going down again, please can we keep him this time?

You know, instead of the fiasco we have had which started with Southgate (albeit he didn't take us up) but certainly continued with Karanka.

No.  We did the right thing in binning Karanka 🙌

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, TheJew said:

Your obsession with Karanka is bizarre. The guy completely lost the plot and was in no fit state to continue as a manager. This was proven in his subsequent jobs. A headcase that should never be involved again 

• Haha 1
40 minutes ago, Smogzilla said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CV_Cdw3sqge/?utm_medium=copy_link

Might be a couple of the other staff coming in (Alan Knill is the guy with Wilder holding the shirt). From the comments might be more than just an agent.

Jon Newsome...he has some making up to do with me. I'd spend all my pocket money on Paninis and his face would always be smiling back at me. absolute zero trading value too

• Haha 5
47 minutes ago, Smogzilla said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CV_Cdw3sqge/?utm_medium=copy_link

Might be a couple of the other staff coming in (Alan Knill is the guy with Wilder holding the shirt). From the comments might be more than just an agent.

Whose the guy next to Wilder?

It has not been mentioned that Bennett and Leo are leaving so only position left fill is 1st team coach unless Leo is 1st team coach on his own

58 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Your obsession with Karanka is bizarre. The guy completely lost the plot and was in no fit state to continue as a manager. This was proven in his subsequent jobs. A headcase that should never be involved again 

Don't think, as far as I can tell, that his failure at the other clubs came down to the same reasons he had to leave here?

But agreed entirely that he should stay in history. I think he already spoiled some fans' recollection of his time here in his last 12 months of his tenure, I'd rather leave that in the past and remember the better times.

I still hope he finds a role elsewhere and finds his feet again too.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TheJew said:

I know that I'm in the minority, but I genuinely think Southgate would have taken us back up if he had been given the full season. 

• Like 1

One slightly concerning thing for me about wilders past - if you look at a list of his most used players throughout his career, the first 58 are all British or Irish. 59th is lys mousset and the next one after that is Sander berge in 80th position. Those are the only two foreign players in his top 100 used players.

Obviously it doesn't really matter so long as the best players are being played and we are getting results and putting in good performances, my concern is more how does this fit in with our recent recruitment model? I hope it's been talked about it and he has said he is happy to play more foreign players than he historically has - the alternative would be scrapping all the work we've put into setting up an extensive scouting division and it would come off as being a more hap hazard appointment than it originally seems. 

• Like 3