oneBoro Forum

Introducing Chris Wilder MOTM (Man of the Moment)

8 hours ago, boro_fan_in_brum said:

I don’t care who said what, who’s ITK, I was dubious at first when Wilder was touted as our next manager, but.

Having watched that interview it really does fill me with excitement.  It’s the appointment I’ve been crying out for for ages, someone who wants to align the supporters with the club again.  Not full of himself, has waited until the right job has come along that is right for him.  So from that he wants to be here, this can only be a positive in my opinion.  

I’ve no idea how long but if he gets us playing and united the fans, uses the academy and gets us up then stay as long as he needs to.

Good post but Middlesbrough United is going a bit too far!😀

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are people.really having a go about us appointing an experienced, promotion winning, club record beating manager being put in charge above a former player who does have pedigree, but zero experience?

In terms of pedigree, 16 months ago Wilder was runner up to Jurgen Klopp for LMA manager of the year and spoken about as one of the best English managers around for us to get him to come to manage us

Posted Images

We should be getting a view from the other side soon as I have just allowed 3 Sheffield United fans to become forum members.

I remember the warnings we got re Pulis and Warnock to a lesser degree

Will be interesting to hear their take on the appointment of Chris Wilder whom I admit am warming up to!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

One slightly concerning thing for me about wilders past - if you look at a list of his most used players throughout his career, the first 58 are all British or Irish. 59th is lys mousset and the next one after that is Sander berge in 80th position. Those are the only two foreign players in his top 100 used players.

Obviously it doesn't really matter so long as the best players are being played and we are getting results and putting in good performances, my concern is more how does this fit in with our recent recruitment model? I hope it's been talked about it and he has said he is happy to play more foreign players than he historically has - the alternative would be scrapping all the work we've put into setting up an extensive scouting division and it would come off as being a more hap hazard appointment than it originally seems. 

Surely a big part of that is because of the level he's managed at for most of his career and the funds that were available.

You don't get too many foreign signings in League One and Sheffield United relied a lot on free transfers, cheap signings and loans in the Championship.

They're not the best examples but he did start to sign foreign players when they were in the Premier League.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Surely a big part of that is because of the level he's managed at for most of his career and the funds that were available.

You don't get too many foreign signings in League One and Sheffield United relied a lot on free transfers, cheap signings and loans in the Championship.

They're not the best examples but he did start to sign foreign players when they were in the Premier League.

Well he has no choice now does he? And pretty sure we as a forum would question if he regularly ommited certain players from playing that are becoming fans favourites.

Actually he could be looking forward to playing to their strengths

8 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

I'd be fascinated to know what Sheff United fans make of Wilder in retrospect, assuming his last part-season hasn't overshadowed everything that came before in their memories.

https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/get-wilder-back-in-now.88606/

reads like typical fans, forgetting where he got them from and too, and focussed on the big transfers (That they were all ecstatic about at the time of signing) not working out as planned - and blaming only the manger..

Edited by Mr_Maz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, White Band said:

I know that I'm in the minority, but I genuinely think Southgate would have taken us back up if he had been given the full season. 

He wouldn’t have. We were a shambles and we’re dragged along by an emerging Adam Johnson. We would’ve done well to finish in the play offs

• Like 3

Over the next 4 to 6 games I don’t expect to see dramatic change if any. What with playing the better teams and Wilder assessing players it will take time to see what, if anything he can do. I believe if some think Wilder will produce miracles with the existing infrastructure and players they are going to be sadly disappointed.

I believe the club needs change from foundation to a new roof, basically it needs rebuilding both infrastructure and brand to dispel the hoodoo that lingers. It needs a big blow out party, out with the old in with the new, more so it needs to reconnect with the town and its supporters. 

We have started the transition and I hope the club is determined, supportive and very vocal in its approach. 

31 minutes ago, Humpty said:

He wouldn’t have. We were a shambles and we’re dragged along by an emerging Adam Johnson. We would’ve done well to finish in the play offs

I am not a fan of Southgate and believe England would be better without the WOKE warrior. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 7
7 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

One slightly concerning thing for me about wilders past - if you look at a list of his most used players throughout his career, the first 58 are all British or Irish. 59th is lys mousset and the next one after that is Sander berge in 80th position. Those are the only two foreign players in his top 100 used players.

Obviously it doesn't really matter so long as the best players are being played and we are getting results and putting in good performances, my concern is more how does this fit in with our recent recruitment model? I hope it's been talked about it and he has said he is happy to play more foreign players than he historically has - the alternative would be scrapping all the work we've put into setting up an extensive scouting division and it would come off as being a more hap hazard appointment than it originally seems. 

To be fair, most of his career has been managing in the Football League, including below Championship level, so there's fewer non-British & Irish players play at that level naturally. Even when He took Sheff Utd up they weren't exactly globally fancied for promotion, and it's those fancied clubs who usually attract talent from Europe and beyond.

I'd say there's far more naturally talented players than the likes of Chris Basham and George Baldock, but the performances they gave for him were superb. He knows how to get the best out of certain players - the question is, do we have those characters.

Payero and Wilder is a match made in heaven I think. Crooksy and McNair too. 

1 minute ago, sanddancer said:

I am not a fan of Southgate and believe England would be better without the WOKE warrior. 

Best compliment you could give him that. Thanks Sanddancer 👍🏻 Wish there were more woke warriors in the world. 

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

How to say you're old without actually saying you're old.

Thinking being "woke" is a bad thing 🙄

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
7 minutes ago, Snowblind said:

Best compliment you could give him that. Thanks Sanddancer 👍🏻 Wish there were more woke warriors in the world. 

Just don’t rate him as a manager. Hesitant,  Indecisive.. 

1 minute ago, Brunners said:

How to say you're old without actually saying you're old.

Thinking being "woke" is a bad thing 🙄

Read it as you will if it suites your agenda. I really can’t be bothered.