oneBoro Forum

Introducing Chris Wilder MOTM (Man of the Moment)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are people.really having a go about us appointing an experienced, promotion winning, club record beating manager being put in charge above a former player who does have pedigree, but zero experience?

In terms of pedigree, 16 months ago Wilder was runner up to Jurgen Klopp for LMA manager of the year and spoken about as one of the best English managers around for us to get him to come to manage us

Posted Images

1 minute ago, boksicdink said:

My Forest mates all love Spence - I wonder what's twigged with him or is it literally just having a decent coach in Cooper?

Every week they message me saying that they hope they sign him

He's not getting dropped every other week, moved positions all the time and talked about in the media about needing to get your head on straight.

He's finally a first choice RWB.

I will say watching him he's back to taking players on again & actually attacking, so that does feel like a coaching thing.

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Oof, that's a nice progressive view isn't it? 😬

Still, the thing I'm most concerned about in that view is psychologists. Fortunately, I think a decision on sports psychologists and the like would be made by Scott and not him.

Not to make this into nothing but this was made between his 19th and 20th defeat that season. I suspect at this point he had pretty much no filter left.

Good point. 

While I'm all for plain speaking, I generally think its best to try a polite "softly, softly" approach at first. But if your messages aren't getting through after a while, then you need to take the filter off.

But yeah, I think sports psychologists are considered mandatory at all professional clubs now...if nothing else to act in a welfare officer / counsellor role. But they ought to also have a role in getting players into a "winning mentality" and the team building side of things.

2 minutes ago, boksicdink said:

My Forest mates all love Spence - I wonder what's twigged with him or is it literally just having a decent coach in Cooper?

Every week they message me saying that they hope they sign him

I think he'd played and impressed before Cooper came in? He looked good for us under Woodgate too.

Warnock played him as a winger and didn't trust him as a full-back. I just don't think that's where his skillset lies and I also think Warnock just had no idea how to manage the lad.

I don't think he was entirely wrong about getting his head right and maybe this move has just been good for that but Warnock's the manager, it's up to him to solve that problem if he wants to get the best out of him. That's 2 significantly less experienced managers than him that have managed it now.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Howson is probably the only good option we've got at RWB.

Wilder would be mad not to recall Spence. Especially given his form and the fact he's now a key player for a team above us in the table. 

I still can't get my head around that.

When we signed Howson he played in central midfield. Then we moved him to CB...now he seems to be finding a new lease of life as a wing-back. 

Blown Away Wow GIF by Aminé

Wonder if Wilder will play him in that role?

23 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

But yeah, I think sports psychologists are considered mandatory at all professional clubs now...if nothing else to act in a welfare officer / counsellor role.

They are in academies not at senior level. 

The more I think about the Warnock era at Boro, the more I think it mirrors the Mowbray stage of the last promotion cycle i.e. replacing a manager(s) who overspent and trending downwards before the next guy comes in and the club takes the next step. 

Warnock, like Mowbray helped the club to move on the expensive buys from failed promotion pushes. Put in place a foundation of a good team, which only needs a few additions and has brought through a few promising academy players to supplement the squad. 

Here's hoping that Wilder is the Karanka stage of the promotion cycle were we become a viable promotion chasing team again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Now now, no name calling please!

One thing for certain this new appointment has nulified to a degree the IB otherwise we would be bored stiff!

Yeah now we're just stiff.

• Thanks 1

Which player do we think will benefit the most from Wilder coming in? If they do try to implement a 3-5-2 as previous surely Paddy is the player that suits that system the most. Maybe anyone who can pass a ball 🤠

Just now, Foogle said:

Which player do we think will benefit the most from Wilder coming in? If they do try to implement a 3-5-2 as previous surely Paddy is the player that suits that system the most. Maybe anyone who can pass a ball 🤠

Hopefully, Payero. He should see a lot more of the ball if we do play that way and have more opportunities for space and delivering passes into the box. Paddy too, if he ends up in midfield.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Hopefully, Payero. He should see a lot more of the ball if we do play that way and have more opportunities for space and delivering passes into the box. Paddy too, if he ends up in midfield.

So the Gazette did a deep dive on how Sheff Utd play, and one thing they said is the midfield won't see more of the ball - in terms of the play won't go through the midfield. What will happen is they'll be part of the passing triangles out wide, so the midfielders need to be technically gifted and be good at quick passing and moving.

I wanna know what he’s gonna do with the wide players. We have 3 who could all arguably be seen as our best players, yet in a wing back system where would they feature?

All I can think of is he may play one in midfield and one off a striker, I can’t remember what kind of midfielders and strikers he used to pair up at sheff utd. I do have a feeling he will want to try payero, crooks and Siliki as first choice midfield 3.