oneBoro Forum

Introducing Chris Wilder MOTM (Man of the Moment)

1 hour ago, Neverbefore said:

I'm not sure about lampard. He did ok with derby, but that was a massively over powered derby squad for this league when you look at how good his loanees actually are now. He should have gotten them promoted imo, probably automatically.

His stint with chelsea was just bad. He the players good enough to win the champions league and had them languishing in mid table in the same season. 

I think for a first season as a manager, you could argue he did something really good with Derby.

But I think we all pretty much knew the jump to Chelsea would end up biting him in the ***. They brought him in when they couldn't buy anyone, then they spent a ton of money the season after and his inexperience managing bigger and better players shone through.

Still potential for him to be a good manager but I don't think I'd even take him over Gerrard if those were both available to us.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are people.really having a go about us appointing an experienced, promotion winning, club record beating manager being put in charge above a former player who does have pedigree, but zero experience?

In terms of pedigree, 16 months ago Wilder was runner up to Jurgen Klopp for LMA manager of the year and spoken about as one of the best English managers around for us to get him to come to manage us

Posted Images

The most important thing really is someone who can come in and play the way Scott generally wants us to play and work under a director. We don't need a grandiose name, we don't need a 'manager' as it were, not in the traditional sense. We need a head coach, someone whose focus is on getting the best out of the players he's given.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Lampard for me, or Reiziger

Lampard, interesting. 
I actually thought ex player may feature in SG thoughts and in jest mentioned Rooney. Personally my preference would be someone who has an insight in to fitness, strategy, mentality, communicator and the modern game. Someone that knows how to bring individuals together to work as a unit. 

• Like 1

Dejan Stankovic!

I think Shevchenko would be an interesting one, from what I remember in the euros I thought Ukraine played some pretty good stuff, definately we’re a pressing/passing team. He’s got a pretty much 50% win rate at international level. 

Enrico Maassen would be the most interesting option however he has not long signed a contract extension. He definately try’s to play the way we all want to see though.

Out of the obvious ones I’d take Howe, lampard or Wilder quite happily Tbf, I think any of them will improve us. Only one I’d have reservations about is Wilder as I’m always funny about how these ‘one club’ guys will cope somewhere else.

• Like 1

A lot of people are tossing around famous names, but frankly I don't believe Boro have the required pulling power. What will it take to attract a young, talented manager? Beautiful as the North Yorks Moors are, it won't be the location. Or the climate. Boro have a nice stadium and good facilities, but so too do a host of other clubs. And there is a general disillusionment and pessimism among the fans that will take a lot of work to turn round.

On the other hand, an ambitious foreign manager could well see a job at Boro as a first toehold in the English game. And that does have pulling power. Unless your name is Klopp, you can't walk straight into a manager's job in the PL, but the Championship is not quite so choosy, and if you make a success of it, you're a PL manager. I'd forget British managers and go for someone who has real hunger further afield.

• Like 1

Have asked friends on Germany if there were any clubs of a similar nature to us in their Leagues that we should look at for candidates and both said Mainz..  have looked at their recent managers and one or two have had a little success over here of late, are there any possibilities for us on their list?

1 minute ago, Old Codger said:

Have asked friends on Germany if there were any clubs of a similar nature to us in their Leagues that we should look at for candidates and both said Mainz..  have looked at their recent managers and one or two have had a little success over here of late, are there any possibilities for us on their list?

Curtis and his Dad I suppose. They would be Main(z) 😃

• Haha 1
48 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

Dejan Stankovic!

I think Shevchenko would be an interesting one, from what I remember in the euros I thought Ukraine played some pretty good stuff, definately we’re a pressing/passing team. He’s got a pretty much 50% win rate at international level. 

Enrico Maassen would be the most interesting option however he has not long signed a contract extension. He definately try’s to play the way we all want to see though.

Out of the obvious ones I’d take Howe, lampard or Wilder quite happily Tbf, I think any of them will improve us. Only one I’d have reservations about is Wilder as I’m always funny about how these ‘one club’ guys will cope somewhere else.

Wilder is not a one club man mate. He has 4 promotions with 3 different clubs.

He guided Oxford to Football league via play offs and then went to Northampton and took them up as champions from league 2. Then Sheff Utd he took from League 1 to Championship before getting promoted to PL

29 minutes ago, BoroJake said:

I thought I saw something about wilder not being a fan of a director of football. I think he mentioned he liked to do things himself

Very much seems that kind of ilk to me, yeah. Fair enough to him but we don't want a situation where the director is pulling one way and the 'manager' is pulling the other.

• Like 1

I was wondering the other day, are there no decent female managers/head coaches out there?!

I'm not just saying it for the 'woke' factor, and I don't know of any off the top of my head (other than Emma Hayes as she's on telly a lot), but surely some of them would be good enough to manage a championship team. 

If we were the first in the prem/championship to hire (or at least look for) a female manager, we'd have our pick. It just seems like an untapped area to me.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to Introducing Chris Wilder MOTM (Man of the Moment)