oneBoro Forum

Introducing Chris Wilder MOTM (Man of the Moment)

56 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Doesn't matter to us mate.  We aren't going to be chasing promotion next season, certainly not automatic anyway.

You’re right mate 👍 we’ll be already up there 😃

• Like 1
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are people.really having a go about us appointing an experienced, promotion winning, club record beating manager being put in charge above a former player who does have pedigree, but zero experience?

In terms of pedigree, 16 months ago Wilder was runner up to Jurgen Klopp for LMA manager of the year and spoken about as one of the best English managers around for us to get him to come to manage us

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I think it's unrealistic to expect us to carry on as we are now for the rest of the season, bring in a new guy, change everything over the summer, and come out fighting for promotion.  I hope I'm wrong like but I'm not sure I see it as being all that likely.  A lot is going to change.

But surely the reason we want rid of Warnock is that he is underachieving with these players? Theres no doubt in my mind that this squad should be in the top 6 come the end of this season. With a preseason of new signings and a manager who plays to the squad strengths, I absolutely expect us to challenge. I won't be overly disappointed if we fall short but we need to be close given the current investment. 

14 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I think it's unrealistic to expect us to carry on as we are now for the rest of the season, bring in a new guy, change everything over the summer, and come out fighting for promotion.  I hope I'm wrong like but I'm not sure I see it as being all that likely.  A lot is going to change.

I think you got it spot on up to the "fighting for promotion" bit.

A bit like Newcastle, Boro are going to take a season or two of rebuilding IMO.

27 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

But surely the reason we want rid of Warnock is that he is underachieving with these players? Theres no doubt in my mind that this squad should be in the top 6 come the end of this season. With a preseason of new signings and a manager who plays to the squad strengths, I absolutely expect us to challenge. I won't be overly disappointed if we fall short but we need to be close given the current investment. 

Thats assuming the new manager will want to work with the squad in its current state. Supposing they see a need for a major overhaul? We know nothing about Warnock's replacement yet, the kind of players they like and the type of football they like their teams to play.

Also goes beyond players' abilities. The new manager may simply not like the attitude of some players and freeze them out.

All speculation, of course, but its by no means a given we will be challenging for promotion. Personally I think the club also needs a total overhaul of its backroom staff, as the coaches, physio and whoever else seem to have done bugger all for some time.

Again, this is just my 2 cents, but I don't think our squad is anywhere near good enough to be challenging for automatic promotion. Scraping into the play-offs maybe. We're certainly no Fulham or Bournemouth. Not sure we're even a West Brom...

Edited by AnglianRed
1 hour ago, Neverbefore said:

Yeah but we will also be changing a lot of things you'd think, and I don't believe that we'll be able to do that immediately.  I hope we can but I'm not counting on it. When people ask what the point would be in getting rid of Warnock now, this is the most important reason for me, that we can begin making those changes now, and be further on with them by the start of next season.  I just think it's fanciful to expect us to continue as things are until May, appoint someone new, and then change the entire culture of the team, and club, whilst also being successful on the pitch.  Assuming we get in a Head Coach whose philosophies differ from Warnock's, you'd be basically asking him to change everything in a month of pre-season, then come out firing to challenge for promotion.  It's not impossible or owt, I just think it's difficult.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Borodane said:

Chris Wilder? If he's the guy we want then it makes no sense to not hire him just because Warnock won three easy games.

I’ve heard he’s desperate to get back into management and keeps mentioning the Boro job…

• Like 2

I agree that we should make those changes sooner, rather than later. It’s going to be a long term project. 

If we’re not going up with Warnock (that much is evident) we might aswell get a 6 month head start now and make those ‘tough’ but necessary changes. 

Either the new guy isn’t available yet OR Gibson has blind faith that Warnock will turn it around (again, stats suggest not a chance) OR Gibson is letting Warnock live out his final season swansong regardless of results.  Worryingly if it’s the latter two, for me personally, that shows another example of Gibson making a decision which is wrong.

I hope we are just sticking with Warnock because our top, long term choice is tied up, cos if not, why waste time??

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Doesn't matter to us mate.  We aren't going to be chasing promotion next season, certainly not automatic anyway.

We will be with Dean Smith or Daniel Farke in charge.

I'd be surprised too, even though I'd personally probably make a change if we were hammered today.

Though if there is any truth to it, it'll be because of the international break and accumulation of issues rather than who the individual defeat is to.

Either way, I'm still 100% hoping for a Boro win.

• Downsouth changed the title to Introducing Chris Wilder MOTM (Man of the Moment)