oneBoro Forum

Introducing Chris Wilder MOTM (Man of the Moment)

Just now, TeaCider24 said:

Without trying to sound arsey, you being on board with Wilder has cheered me up a fair bit.

Haha doesn't sound arsey at all. Just glad I can be so positive about Boro again. It's been a long time for me.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are people.really having a go about us appointing an experienced, promotion winning, club record beating manager being put in charge above a former player who does have pedigree, but zero experience?

In terms of pedigree, 16 months ago Wilder was runner up to Jurgen Klopp for LMA manager of the year and spoken about as one of the best English managers around for us to get him to come to manage us

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

This really feels like we were worried about Wilder going elsewhere rather than being a deliberate thought out choice.

If he was our number 1 guy why not do it last summer?

Why renew Warnock?

Why appoint Scott and bring in a guy who doesn’t want/like D of F?

It’s going to be an interesting watch. It feels disjointed but I hope it works out. 

If I recall correctly we gave Warnock a new contract for this season...before Wilder was sacked. I remember a few posters saying at the time it was an odd time to renew Warnock's contract. (If we should have renewed it at all).

6 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Just hope wilder takes McNair by the scruff of the neck and tells him to stop diving. Agree that he is perfect for that role though. Dijksteel too tbh. He couldn't ask for two centre backs more comfortable with the ball in this division.

Dijksteel isn't a Centre Back and besides is hardly ever fit, McNair is an average CB and a poor Midfielder. If those are the rocks that Wilder is about to build upon we are doomed before we even start.

40 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

And I’m not sure why. Got Sheffield promoted playing exciting, expansive football. 

Probably because he’s not some random foreign manager with an ‘exciting’ name. 

Nope, it because once he got them promoted, he ended up leaving with Sheffield bottom of the PL with 14 points from 28 games.

Meaning if he manages to get Boro promoted we'll likely be looking for a new manager again.

But one step at a time I suppose.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
Just now, AnglianRed said:

Nope, it because once he got them promoted, he ended up leaving with Sheffield bottom of the PL with 14 points from 28 games.

Meaning if he manages to get Boro promoted we'll likely be looking for a new manager again.

He had them finish 9th the first season after going up.

• Like 2

I'd reached the point with Boro that I haven't even been paying attention on matchdays in recent weeks. I just didn't enjoy anything about our performances, and I found the second halves painful to watch as man marking failed and we crumbled again and again.

Now we have a manager who has historically engineered attacking football, the love should come flooding back. Whatever Wilder may be, he's no anti-football Pulis or Warnock-style dinosaur, and the promotions with Sheffield United were achieved with inferior resources to what he's inherited here. As others have said, we're not far from a really good squad, and we've been horribly underperforming this year.

Interesting times are coming our way. Rejoice!

• Like 3

For what it's worth and for anyone interested, Chris Wilder's record in management is better than Warnock's, at least statistically speaking

Wilder has managed four clubs, Halifax, Oxford United, Northampton Town, and Sheffield United.  Both have obviously managed in non-league as well as in the various professional leagues.  Wilder has managed 934 games, so more than you'd think, Warnock has obviously managed 1600+ now.  Wilder's overall win percentage is 43.7%, whilst Warnocks is just over 40%.  Wilder's worst winning percentage was actually at the lowest levels of football with Halifax, his win percentages have gone up in professional football, and all of them appear to be higher than any job in Warnock's entire career.  The best Warnock managed was 43.1% at Notts County, 42.5% at Sheff Utd, and 41% at Cardiff.  Wilder's are 45% at Oxford, 48.4% at Northampton, and 46.7% at Sheff United.  Warnock's points per game in the Championship is lower than Wilder's, his points per game in the Premier League is also lower, although neither are great.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Dijksteel isn't a Centre Back and besides is hardly ever fit, McNair is an average CB and a poor Midfielder. If those are the rocks that Wilder is about to build upon we are doomed before we even start.

he's done more in this league with less players than McNair and Dijksteel so dont worry too much!

• Sad 1
7 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Eh? He literally had them finishing 9th the season they went up, while still having a championship squad.

Id love to know who you’d want the club to get in who’s going to 1. Get us promoted, then 2. Keep us up there as a guarantee? 

• Like 1

Totally underwhelming appointment for me, I thought we were going to be going with a young progressive coach from abroad. 

People are calling Wilder an attack minded manager lets wait and see. It feels like a Gibson appointment to me and the club are going round in circles. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 1
1 minute ago, Duvel said:

Totally underwhelming appointment for me, I thought we were going to be going with a young progressive coach from abroad. 

People are calling Wilder an attack minded manager lets wait and see. It feels like a Gibson appointment to me and the club are going round in circles. 

Feels like Monk mark II. We will throw millions at it and sack this time next year. Appoint Bruce to keep us up and rinse and repeat.

• Like 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to Introducing Chris Wilder MOTM (Man of the Moment)