oneBoro Forum

Introducing Chris Wilder MOTM (Man of the Moment)

1 minute ago, thatoldchestnut said:

I still can't understand why he was told so suddenly yesterday morning that he was leaving. Why the rush. I don't believe for one moment that it was just so he and his staff could get applauded by the away fans. Something suddenly came up to cause that.

Would Wilder have been a realistic appointment for Norwich? Seems strange how even they sacked Farke after a win. There must be a connection but it seems that we are going for Wilder when you’d think all the signs point to Farke. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are people.really having a go about us appointing an experienced, promotion winning, club record beating manager being put in charge above a former player who does have pedigree, but zero experience?

In terms of pedigree, 16 months ago Wilder was runner up to Jurgen Klopp for LMA manager of the year and spoken about as one of the best English managers around for us to get him to come to manage us

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Skinemrippers said:

I’d love to know what some of the compromises were @diggerlad07

I think a Reizinger appointment would have unified everyone and brought some excitement - are we saying he was interviewed but Wilder was preferred or he wasn’t available right now? If the latter, why interview him and surely if it meant waiting until summer and keeping Warnock on, that would be worth it? Very odd situation. 

I agree it would unify everyone but this isn’t the best time to give a young, pretty inexperienced manager the seat.

We aren’t in a great position and having watched Reizeger’s style of coaching it’s a million miles away from what we are currently coached to do. It could easily go wrong half way through the season and then we end up going right back to a Pulis/Warnock to save us 

1 minute ago, thatoldchestnut said:

I still can't understand why he was told so suddenly yesterday morning that he was leaving. Why the rush. I don't believe for one moment that it was just so he and his staff could get applauded by the away fans. Something suddenly came up to cause that.

I don't believe him when he says he was only told at 10am, given he also said he'd known for 3 weeks that his replacement was being lined up and he'd been making comments for weeks in press conferences which hinted that he was close to losing his job.

Are people.really having a go about us appointing an experienced, promotion winning, club record beating manager being put in charge above a former player who does have pedigree, but zero experience? In the position we're in now? In the league we all no? Think a few heads need shaking...

We hated the football under Warnock. Wilder plays good stuff. Wilder has a proven track record of getting the most out of players who others would say weren't up to the job. Us having a DoF doesn't mean that he'll have zero influence on transfers. Look at the likes of Crooks and Bamba - NW still had a lot of say I. Who we brought in. 

Of all the managers available right now, I can't think of many realistic options with a better pedigree, experience, and fit for the purpose as Chris Wilder. There seem to be many on here who are pining so hard for an exotic name that they're conveniently ignoring or totally rewriting history...

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Wilder has "core principles" but feels his Sheffield United side at times didn't get the credit they deserved.

He told Sky: "You have to move forward in this game. The best in this game have had to. Sir Alex Ferguson has had to go again and reinvent himself at times. Players are changing, players' attitudes are changing, the game's changing - recruitment, sports science, technology, analysis.

- Wilder speaking about changing his attitude and approach in August. Doesn't sound like a stick in the mud to me. May have learnt from what happened at Sheffield 

• Like 8
24 minutes ago, Humpty said:

Can someone who has a problem with the way Warnock was let go tell me precisely what their issue is? 

Finding it hilarious how people are taking his word as the absolute irrefutable truth. This is someone who has routinely come out and dished out some ludicrously biased and quite often just outright untruths in his post match interviews. To the point where it had become parody and people were predicting exactly what nonsense he would spout after the game before it had even finished.

But as soon as he comes out and makes a claim against the club everyone takes his word for it. I’m still shocked he didn’t blame all this on the ref, even if it had just been out of habit. He’s had ample time and resources to achieve what he set out to here and he didn’t. He never held himself accountable for one second, it was always anyone but his fault. There’s nothing unjust going on here. 

• Like 9

Personally not moaning about it @Snowblind, just wondering from Diggers comments whether Wilder was the first choice as it sounded like the club wanted Riezinger but he’s not available until the summer. I’m not sure much of it makes sense - just last week there were a fair few ITK comments saying Warnock definitely staying until summer (fits with waiting for Reizinger) then suddenly yesterday he’s out and it’s Wilder. 

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, thatoldchestnut said:

My take on this.
NW was aware as was everyone a replacement was being sought, he was aware the results were not as what was expected as was supported by his regular, if some one could pick a better team statements. NW was and knew he was under pressure as was confirmed when he stated SG was aware through regular contact of the situation on the pitch and NW admission SG was a knowledgeable football owner. NW also referred to known weeks ago he was getting sacked reading papers. Last but not least he was told before the game and agreed to leave by mutual consent. 
The timing maybe down to several reasons, friction in the club, results, the international break, transfer window about to open and movement on there target manager. I wouldn’t disregard a leak either.  

Edited by sanddancer

I think NW got this far, cause Gibson is a nice man who gave NW untill this international break, so he would get his record for most games as an English manager... 

That fits with NW knowing and hearing about a replacement three weeks ago and stuff.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, thomas said:

I have waited a little bit before posting just to gather thoughts as wasnt sure how to feel about Chris wilder yesterday over Neil Warnock. I feel like Warnock similarly to Mowbray in his last season with us, before he got fired, never got the maximum of the players he had but we must not forget we went from 22nd in the league to a comfortable mid table club under his leadership so we cant be too harsh on his tenure. We just failed to progress this season, had we done so and been in the playoffs or just on the fringe I believe this would have been a different ending. 

Moving onto to Wilder I think fans will be initially disappointed he doesn't strike me as a person who will make an instant impact, I do believe this will be a 2-3 season project in order to get us back in the premier league. However the good news is I think he will try change our brand of football from hoof to playing it on the ground, I believe that will give him time with the crowd if the players prove capable of doing that. 

I don’t wish to bust anyone’s bubble but I don’t believe we will see BORO in the premier anytime in the near foreseeable future. I am not say we won’t possibly won’t flirt with the playoffs but we have a club the town can afford. 

57 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

He's walking into a tried and untested new regime at our club and we all know he left Sheff utd because he had problems working with a DOF which essentially Keiron Scott is. It's like we never learn and divide opinion from the onset.

With the foreign signings recently made, it screamed out for a foreign manager to take charge.

The name I was given for next summer appointment is obviously not available now and we felt we had to act now after some of the compromises were reached. Regardless of what Warnock says, he obviously knew was this coming long before 10am yesterday morning but he just didn't know when.

This is pretty much what I posted last night, it feels to me like we'd given up on Warnock, the type of manager we wanted was unavailable so we went with the best available. I think the club got wind of Wilder potentially going to Barnsley and we've reacted to get him first. 

Wilder might turn out to be a great manager but this decision feels like a reaction  rather than part of a long term plan. 

• Like 4
50 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

Would Wilder have been a realistic appointment for Norwich? Seems strange how even they sacked Farke after a win. There must be a connection but it seems that we are going for Wilder when you’d think all the signs point to Farke. 

Wilder was linked to Barnsley recently.

6 minutes ago, Duvel said:

This is pretty much what I posted last night, it feels to me like we'd given up on Warnock, the type of manager we wanted was unavailable so we went with the best available. I think the club got wind of Wilder potentially going to Barnsley and we've reacted to get him first. 

Wilder might turn out to be a great manager but this decision feels like a reaction  rather than part of a long term plan. 

I believe the move was made because there was building friction behind the scenes. This was highlighted in NW interview when he stated club members worked against him and suggesting he wasn’t supported. It didn’t help when NW kept referencing foreigners or publicly challenging the club during the transfer window. 
NW believed in his own hype, he was negative, challenging, stubborn and outdated.