oneBoro Forum

Introducing Chris Wilder MOTM (Man of the Moment)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are people.really having a go about us appointing an experienced, promotion winning, club record beating manager being put in charge above a former player who does have pedigree, but zero experience?

In terms of pedigree, 16 months ago Wilder was runner up to Jurgen Klopp for LMA manager of the year and spoken about as one of the best English managers around for us to get him to come to manage us

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Mr_Maz said:

Interesting training video. 

Noticed a greater intensity, and a smaller pitch for training games. 

Yeah looks more organised now its not our Ronneh and Blackeh getting them to run about a bit and filling them with PASHUN 💪

3 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Daniels I'd expect, although if Bennett recommends one of the others then maybe they'd make a change.

Yeah I'd imagine so. It is very rare for a new manager to make huge personnel changes in his very first game, even if they're implementing a new system. They always say that every player has a clean slate, but it's not often they bring someone in from the cold in that very first game.

In fact, with the injuries we have at present, I would expect the starting XI against Millwall to have at least 8 or 9 players who started at West Brom. 

5 minutes ago, Smogzilla said:
7 minutes ago, Mr_Maz said:

Interesting training video. 

Noticed a greater intensity, and a smaller pitch for training games. 

Yeah looks more organised now its not our Ronneh and Blackeh getting them to run about a bit and filling them with PASHUN 💪

Not sure if it was just me, but there really seemed a greater emphasis on one touch passing. I know I've seen a little bit of that back in the Warnock training vids, but this felt noticeably different, although whether that's simply confirmation bias, I don't know!

6 minutes ago, Smogzilla said:

There's a big clue right there 🤣

Think a couple could be in trouble if that's the case! Watmore in particular tires very early in the game, I can't see him being a favourite of wilder, definitely not from the start of games. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, boro-unger said:

- He didn't seem to have anything nice to say about Warnock when asked for a few words on NW and the difficult situation he had been managing in. No platitudes etc, just said "all managers work in difficult situations". Don't know if there's some beef between them, or CW just doesn't think NW did a very good job. 

Think he was relatively careful in how he said it. I'm sure if pressed on it he would show him a bit more respect but ultimately, the question was posed in a way as if Warnock having to deal with significant hardship here is an undeniable fact.

From Wilder's personal experience, as you can perhaps hear from one of his later responses, he has never walked into a more put together situation. He's known significantly greater hardship than this and arguably so has Warnock. There must be part of him who has listened to the kind of things Warnock has said about this job, especially in the aftermath of the transfer window, and thought what the crap is he banging on about?

I enjoyed the presser too. But then I enjoyed Monk's and Woodgate's. It's always nice to start on a positive front, it helps bring fans together and get behind the new man. Everyone gets their chance here, this is the beginning of Wilder's and arguably the real beginning of Scott's. Fingers crossed we're onto a winner on both fronts.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Think he was relatively careful in how he said it. I'm sure if pressed on it he would show him a bit more respect but ultimately, the question was posed in a way as if Warnock having to deal with significant hardship here is an undeniable fact.

From Wilder's personal experience, as you can perhaps hear from one of his later responses, he has never walked into a more put together situation. He's known significantly greater hardship than this and arguably so has Warnock. There must be part of him who has listened to the kind of things Warnock has said about this job, especially in the aftermath of the transfer window, and thought what the crap is he banging on about?

I enjoyed the presser too. But then I enjoyed Monk's and Woodgate's. It's always nice to start on a positive front, it helps bring fans together and get behind the new man. Everyone gets their chance here, this is the beginning of Wilder's and arguably the real beginning of Scott's. Fingers crossed we're onto a winner on both fronts.

True re monk and woodgate, but this time our man has the resume to back up what he's saying. Monk had a decent time with Leeds but not great. Woodgate was a complete unknown as a manager. Wilder has accomplished about 10 times more than both of them put together in the last 5 years of his career alone. That combined with a proven ability to adapt to modern football makes me buy into his words to a far greater degree than I ever did with the other two. 

• Like 2

You can always tell that feeling when we’ve got a ‘proper’ manager. With pulis and monk you could almost taste the smarminess  and there was never the excitement of good football behind them to back it up.

With woodgate you just knew he was spouting scripted spiel, saying all the right things that we knew he just wasn’t going to deliver.

Wilder seems to be a serious person, no banter and jokes to cover up questions and looks like someone you wouldn’t wanna cross, confident in himself but not arrogant.

I noticed that about Scott aswell in his interview, he’s not here to *** around.

• Like 3

Wilder on transfer targets in January:

“And technically we want good footballers that can play who can dominate the ball and dominate possession and create chances that hopefully wins us games.”

aroused GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Thanks 2
7 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I think the interviewer was at least partly alluding to Covid and having to play in empty stadiums etc (Which CW didn't really have to deal with as a manager as he left Shef at around the start of the first lockdown). Maybe CW just didn't cotton on to that and assumed the question was about the usual problems you have in football.

16 minutes ago, boro-unger said:

I think the interviewer was at least partly alluding to Covid and having to play in empty stadiums etc (Which CW didn't really have to deal with as a manager as he left Shef at around the start of the first lockdown). Maybe CW just didn't cotton on to that and assumed the question was about the usual problems you have in football.

That's not true, the first lockdown came during the tail end of their first season in the Premier League in March 2020, they'd been flying before that.

By the time the league restarted behind closed doors in June 2020, Sheff United started to really struggle.

They played the entire second season in the Premier League behind closed doors.

Chris Wilder left them in March 2021.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

That's not true, the first lockdown came during the tail end of their first season in the Premier League in March 2020, they'd been flying before that.

By the time the league restarted behind closed doors in June 2020, Sheff United started to really struggle.

They played the entire second season in the Premier League behind closed doors.

Chris Wilder left them in March 2021.

Oh aye, got my marches mixed up. Still, I think the question was about covid.

8 hours ago, Smogzilla said:

More emphasis on linking up (and defending) in tight spaces. Looked a bit like kill ball, the ball was kept constantly in play. 

8 hours ago, Brunners said:

Not sure if it was just me, but there really seemed a greater emphasis on one touch passing. I know I've seen a little bit of that back in the Warnock training vids, but this felt noticeably different, although whether that's simply confirmation bias, I don't know!

Id say that playing on the much smaller pitch (half the length of what we use to see in previous videos) automatically means more emphasis on first touch and interplay. 

• Like 1