oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Peterborough 2-0 (McNair (pen) Coburn)

13 hours ago, Blanco said:

Delighted with the win and the reactions of the players to Payero. It does seem that even they think that he has been getting a raw deal. I will say the same for Wednesday as I said before the game today. There can be no excuses. We must win against Barnsley 

I think you make a good point I support. Players know when someone is getting to much stick and the reaction from players speaks volumes about empathy and acceptance. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know if anyone else was close by or saw that but I was coming down the stairs in the North for the build up to that second goal. Payero sets up Coburn and we should be saying first and foremos

New from JML this Christmas - Neil Warnock Boro Bingo!  Love Bingo? Love watching your football team completely fail to deliver when it matters? Love listening to the post-match interview with th

This was the moment, some of it fortunately captured:  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, diggerlad07 said:

Sorry but please can someone give me a rundown on yesterday's performance ready for my show on Monday night.

Didn't manage to listen or watch any of the game (1st time in about 5years!).... Chose the option to drink in the pub with friends and gave away my ticket for free as I was still angry after Hull away and Warnock still in charge?

Surely one performance doesn't change fans stance on Warnock does it despite injury list?

How did Payero play? Sporar and Uche link up?

Going to watch the 90minutes at some point tomorrow but was just wanting a general view from the good posters on here seen it.

I thought we were poor, apart from the last 10 minutes Peterborough looked the better team… but they didn’t look great either! We looked disorganised, how much of that was down to the injuries I don’t know but let’s face it we’ve not looked organised in any game really. 

Uche & Sporar to me, looked like they weren’t quite sure who’s role was who’s in the 2 up top. Noticed at times them chasing the same ball, closing the same defender etc. Payero had his best game though I thought. Showed some good touches and looked forward with a few through balls (which to be fair, never quite came off but it was nice to see the intent). I was over the moon he got the assist, will hopefully do his confidence the world of good. Bamba showed how important his experience can be. He was my MOTM. 

We were poor, lucky we played against a poor team. We would’ve been beaten by a better team, although they never really troubled Lumley, better decision making when attacking from them it could’ve been a lot different. 

• Like 1

One thing I am finding strange is this narrative that McNair was having to fill in as a defender yesterday.

He has played almost every game under Neil Warnock as a centre back.

I can understand the national press lazily assuming it because Warnock said so, but the Northern Echo, Gazette and BBC Tees are all running with it too and they'll all be well aware of that fact and will remember Warnock saying he was like Beckenbauer and far better in defence than midfield.

It's overblowing the crisis to make it seem like a more significant victory than it was.

We had 2 centre backs playing as centre backs.

Howson is the one who was filling in and doing a job, and he did okay.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, EstonSmog said:

I thought we were poor, apart from the last 10 minutes Peterborough looked the better team… but they didn’t look great either! We looked disorganised, how much of that was down to the injuries I don’t know but let’s face it we’ve not looked organised in any game really. 

Uche & Sporar to me, looked like they weren’t quite sure who’s role was who’s in the 2 up top. Noticed at times them chasing the same ball, closing the same defender etc. Payero had his best game though I thought. Showed some good touches and looked forward with a few through balls (which to be fair, never quite came off but it was nice to see the intent). I was over the moon he got the assist, will hopefully do his confidence the world of good. Bamba showed how important his experience can be. He was my MOTM. 

We were poor, lucky we played against a poor team. We would’ve been beaten by a better team, although they never really troubled Lumley, better decision making when attacking from them it could’ve been a lot different. 

Thank you for the analysis. Seems quite a few share your opinion.

I just watched 10minute highlights and looked to me we had the better chances overall but that's not a true reflective on the tempo and control of the game imo so never take them too seriously so will reserve my opinion until I watch the full 90minutes tomorrow.

It did seem they should of had a penalty just after half time - clear as day to me.

What was the atmosphere like around the ground? I've been impressed this season at home but away games have been toxic recently.

2 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

Another poor and disjointed performance, I'd say.

Couldn't make simple passes, wasted every set piece and throw-in, and let a nailed on relegation side pass the ball around for most of the match.

It was a penalty, so I won't say it was lucky, but I'm not sure we'd have scored from open play yesterday before that was given.

Bamba was excellent, Payero looked decent in the second half and the assist will do his confidence a world of good, Sporar and Ikpeazu were both well off it yesterday.

The win doesn't really change my opinion, we're not playing well and the buck stops with one man, though another 2 wins in a row might sway me a bit.

Totally agree about sporar. I'm getting a bit sick of hearing how he's on another level yet he's barely had a sniff against blackpool, Hull and posh. He's not really played well in any game he's played yet, ok took his goal well against forest but did little else. The more I see him the more I see fat britt... a one dimensional striker just constantly looking to run off the defender. You need more than just that in this league as players cant be expected to be putting the ball on a sixpence every time to make you useful. He loses the ball far too much when he does get it into his feet and his upper body strength is poor which tends to have our attacks breaking down too often. He needs to learn when to run in behind and when to come short and link up to start being more effective and more of a presence on the pitch. I can see why he wasn't good enough for the Portuguese league.

On a more positive note I thought Bamba was immense again yesterday. Crooks looks so much better than howson in the 6 won some important tackles and looked calm and assured in possession when everyone around him was struggling in the first half especially. Payero breaking the lines second half and giving us a bit more creativity in midfield second was promising. 

Generally we were poor but hopefully a few key players will gain some confidence now and we can build on this against barnsley but I'm expecting another cagey tight game just hoping tav is not injured. 

I see Uche getting a bit of stick and he did have a poor second half but first half other than a poor one two with sporar I though he held the ball quite well and a couple of flick ons brought sporars runs into play one of which could have resulted in a sending off for fhem looked like a foul to me in the first half when their defender already booked clipped sporar. I said earlier I don't think sporars runs are effective for us but if uche can win flicks on the long balls that is a way we can utilise them more. His first start for a while uche undeservingly dropped after a good start needs giving a chance to find his feet in the team. 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

Thank you for the analysis. Seems quite a few share your opinion.

I just watched 10minute highlights and looked to me we had the better chances overall but that's not a true reflective on the tempo and control of the game imo so never take them too seriously so will reserve my opinion until I watch the full 90minutes tomorrow.

It did seem they should of had a penalty just after half time - clear as day to me.

What was the atmosphere like around the ground? I've been impressed this season at home but away games have been toxic recently.

I sit in the South Stand and it was pretty flat most of the game. I did notice a few frustrated voices towards the end of the first half and the Hernandez chance right at the end probably prevented a fair few boos I’d say.  I’d say once Jones came on and started to show abit more going forward the atmosphere improved. 

We did have the best chances, however we didn’t play well at all. It’s another home game where a so called poorer team have dominated possession, saying that all the ball they had I can’t really remember them having a shot on target but they played the better football. I’ve seen it mentioned that their diving probably stopped the ref giving that penalty and I’d agree with that, looked a penalty to me and the majority around where I sit. 

3 minutes ago, EstonSmog said:

I sit in the South Stand and it was pretty flat most of the game. I did notice a few frustrated voices towards the end of the first half and the Hernandez chance right at the end probably prevented a fair few boos I’d say.  I’d say once Jones came on and started to show abit more going forward the atmosphere improved. 

We did have the best chances, however we didn’t play well at all. It’s another home game where a so called poorer team have dominated possession, saying that all the ball they had I can’t really remember them having a shot on target but they played the better football. I’ve seen it mentioned that their diving probably stopped the ref giving that penalty and I’d agree with that, looked a penalty to me and the majority around where I sit. 

It was a definite pen but luckily for us where dembeles touch took the ball looked from front on that the keeper had touched it which is why he give a corner. 

I thought Peterborough played some nice triangles in the final third and transitioned well from defence to attack due to players having some cohesion and knowing where each other were and what they were supposed to be doing. Played some dangerous balls into the channels which if they had a striker on the pitch could have been more problematic for us. 

To me the game looked like a reasonably well coached team with poor players playing with some purpose against better footballers poorly coached with no identity or plan the two teams cancelled each other out for the majority of the game.

• Like 1

I thought it was an awful match to be honest. I was completely bored for 70% of it. The usual slow build up, side to side passing, losing the 50/50s and we allowed Posh to pass the ball about. Had we not got the penalty I think things could have got pretty tense in the stands, most people sat round me annoyed that he took so long to make the subs and were crying out for Jones to come on. 

Hope he makes a couple of changes for the Barnsley match. But not Payero. He needs a good run of games now to show what he can do. 

If we're sticking to the 3 at the back, if like to see either Jones in for Uche as the main change. 

Alternatively, Pelts as CB and Howson as the wingback. 

Crooks may have struggled at times yesterday, but his recovery speed is really useful in the 6.

Payero has to keep his spot to progress. Otherwise we will never get the best out of him. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Interesting watching Josh's goal back. Payero battled for possession, passed to Josh then ran gesturing to lay it into his path which Coburn duly did but then he in turn gestured for Payero to cut it back to him when arriving in the box which he did perfectly. Good to see footballing brains as an International language and really good for both lads to have someone on the same wavelength.

Just shows what we can achieve when the players actually think about what they're doing and have the awareness / ability to read each other.

Hope we get to see more of this in future...instead of the usual "hit and hope" style we've become accustomed to.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Skinemrippers said:

Hope he makes a couple of changes for the Barnsley match. But not Payero. He needs a good run of games now to show what he can do. 

I genuinely would not be surprised if Payero was back on the bench, though I hope he stays in the side.

Peltier will be back in defence and Howson will be moved back in that defensive midfielder role.

Somebody is getting dropped.

The game at times was a hard watch and against a slightly better side we would have been punished for some of our sloppiness. 

However, I cant be too critical as there were many players out of position. I like most fans do not buy Bamba was our only fit CB as Paddy is a CB. However, Tav, Howson, Onel and Crooks were.

Agree Jones made a huge difference and I would start him at RWB. My only change would be him for Sporar as latter did look tired at times yesterday from maybe internationals so maybe needs a break.

I would put Jones and Onel as wing backs and give Watmore free role from yesterday to Tav. And put Watmore up top with Uche.

Lumley

Howson Bamba Paddy

Jones Crooks Payero Onel

Tav

Watmore Uche 

• Like 1

Thought Howson was class yday. Didn’t put a foot wrong all game imo. Don’t think he’s ever had a poor game in a back 3 as far as I can remember. Seems to always just ‘do his job’ when he plays there. If we ever play a back 3 I’d genuinely favour him on the right side then the other cb’s.