Jump to content
oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Peterborough 2-0 (McNair (pen) Coburn)


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Wood was ran ragged against Rotherham when he last played in the league for us, and looked miles off the standard of the Championship.

Obviously in hindsight loaning him out looks daft right now, especially with him stuck on the bench at Hibs, but he needed loaning out and to play consistently.

You can't expect someone that young to play a perfect game every time. How many experienced players have we seen had bad games? Woods also had good games and I would rather have kept him than play Howson in defence for example. It's just a typical Warnock thing. If you're not his lovechild then you are hung out to dry on the back of one mistake or bad game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know if anyone else was close by or saw that but I was coming down the stairs in the North for the build up to that second goal. Payero sets up Coburn and we should be saying first and foremos

New from JML this Christmas - Neil Warnock Boro Bingo!  Love Bingo? Love watching your football team completely fail to deliver when it matters? Love listening to the post-match interview with th

This was the moment, some of it fortunately captured:  

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Borodane said:

You can't expect someone that young to play a perfect game every time. How many experienced players have we seen had bad games? Woods also had good games and I would rather have kept him than play Howson in defence for example. It's just a typical Warnock thing. If you're not his lovechild then you are hung out to dry on the back of one mistake or bad game.

He only made three proper appearances in the league for us last season.

He was good against Forest early on, he struggled against Blackburn and he was awful against Rotherham in January.

That's the sum of it.

I'd also prefer him to be playing in defence over Howson, but when he was loaned out he was behind Fry, Hall, McNair, Peltier and Bamba and I wouldn't have expected him to play at the start of the season.

They've all dropped like flies since, do it now looks like a stupid decision but I'd still have loaned him out if we rewound time to the start of the season.

The loan and then integrate route has worked well with Fry and Gibson before him, I expect it will work with Wood too as long as he signs a new contract.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

He only made three proper appearances in the league for us last season.

He was good against Forest early on, he struggled against Blackburn and he was awful against Rotherham in January.

That's the sum of it.

I'd also prefer him to be playing in defence over Howson, but when he was loaned out he was behind Fry, Hall, McNair, Peltier and Bamba and I wouldn't have expected him to play at the start of the season.

They've all dropped like flies since, do it now looks like a stupid decision but I'd still have loaned him out if we rewound time to the start of the season.

The loan and then integrate route has worked well with Fry and Gibson before him, I expect it will work with Wood too as long as he signs a new contract.

I don't seem to recall he struggled against Blackburn. Tbh I'd rather have kept him than bring in short term solutions like Peltier and Bamba, but that was never going to happen with Warnock at the helm. When you have an obvious talent like Wood I'd rather have him as fourth choice which is exactly what a club like Boro should be doing. But we keep appointing short term managers who'd much rather play some old trusted shortterm solution.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TeaCider24 said:

The loan and then integrate route has worked well with Fry and Gibson before him, I expect it will work with Wood too as long as he signs a new contract.

Fry has only played 10 games for Rotherham on loan outside of playing for us and they finished last that season. I'd put money on it being the fact we integrated him into our first team being the major factor behind his development over those 10 games. Wood actually played more for Crewe than Fry did for Rotherham.

I'll give you Gibson as he got a full season pretty much with Tranmere the season before he was playing for us proper, that was definitely an example of how it can work. I seem to recall Gibbo talking about his time at Yeovil too. Finding a club that plays you is a big part of that process but if they don't play you, you aren't getting better and then as the parent club, you completely lose all control of their development.

So far Wood has not played a single game for Hibs which isn't a good sign. I just can't understand the loan and forget policy we have. Good players like Wood may well get loaned in for better sides but if he's not playing games, he's not learning anything and we'd be better keeping him around and trying to integrate him into our own side on occasion. I'd rather him play in the National League or the U23s than hope he gets to sit on the bench in Scotland.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BoroJake said:

Craig johns has Matt crooks at centre back in his team for a back three 😂

He's gone with it because he thinks Howson is 'needed' in midfield.

Righto.

I'd rather play Crooks defensive mid than Howson, honestly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also Howson has 'looked exposed when playing with Payero and Siliki', apparently.

Conveniently forgetting the game where Howson both started and ended a QPR attack on his own when he was playing with McNair in the middle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Also Howson has 'looked exposed when playing with Payero and Siliki', apparently.

Conveniently forgetting the game where Howson both started and ended a QPR attack on his own when he was playing with McNair in the middle.

Imagine if that had been a young player. He would never have played for Warnock again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Fry has only played 10 games for Rotherham on loan outside of playing for us and they finished last that season. I'd put money on it being the fact we integrated him into our first team being the major factor behind his development over those 10 games.

Fry was saying in his last interview how much going out on loan to Rotherham helped him.

He was the same age as Wood is now during that loan, it wasn't till two seasons later that he became an established regular and that was largely because we sold Gibson, though he did start under Monk before that mistake against Norwich.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Imagine if that had been a young player. He would never have played for Warnock again.

Yeah, I can see it now, Malley does the same thing and its all about his inexperience and why we can't be forced into these situations etc. etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Downsouth changed the title to Boro vs Peterborough 2-0 (McNair (pen) Coburn)


×
×
  • Create New...